Author Topic: Teaching son to ride...  (Read 2124 times)

woodboats

• Grease Monkey
  • New Zealand
on: February 20, 2010, 04:29:31 am
Son of 25 is now learning to ride.
This all started about 6 months ago when I asked him what he was doing for his next holiday, last year he took time off to trek around Peru. He is 3D Graphic Artist for gaming companies and he has a thing for visiting temples/deserted cities etc, as he reckons it gives him inspiration with his designs, plus he just likes doing it.

Anyway, he said he wanted to go to Cambodia to visit Angkor Wat and a few other places. After thinking about it for a bit I mentioned that his Mother and I are going back to Vietnam to finish seeing parts that we missed out on last year.
I suggested I teach him how to ride; we pick up bikes in Cambodia and end up in Vietnam. With bikes you really get to see these out of the way places.

So, he has been coming home every 3 weeks and we spend all weekend riding. He completed 2 hours training with an instructor and aced his Learners License. The instructor was great value, showing him things I had over looked. He is riding a road legal 200 Honda CTX with most of our riding on rough gravel. The Enfield is actually a great bike on these roads also.

As we leave in 6 weeks I am reverting to some unorthodox training methods to help him handle Asian city riding. First is using his horn. In Western countries using the horn is more for “Look Out!” or “Get out of my way!” sort of stuff. In Asian countries it usually just means “Here I am”. With the high number of scooters/bikes/cars etc in the cities there is no way to keep an eye on everybody, hence all the horn honking. There is actually a chaotic reason for all the honking, once you get used to it you realize the honks are letting you know what’s happening around you without actually seeing it. It does work. Sort of.

Next, when both my wife and I are riding with him we start to crowd him, moving in from both sides, using the horn, cutting him off, etc. Sounds crazy but this is just a small sample of how it will be for him until we get out of the city areas.

This weekend we came upon a mob of cattle, probably around 300 or so, going the same way as we were on a rural road. My wife told him to lead us through the herd (its usual practice to work your way through stock on the road) as this will give him some idea of how crowded the streets of Hanoi are going to be.

I agreed. Except the cows need to be running.
In all directions.

I think he is ready. Should be a good family ride.
Ours: 2006 Bullet Deluxe 500
Hers: 2007 Yamaha V Star 650
His: 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:48:44 pm
watch that road for slick spots when riding thru the herd
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 02:50:59 pm
Teaching him how to stop is just as important as teaching him how to take off!  Good luck and have fun.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 03:08:23 pm
What an adventure that must be. I'm sure you all will relive it for many years. And it just sounds like fun.  ;)

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 04:26:22 pm
Sounds like your very good teachers and will have quite a trip. I tout my kids when the were 4. Once they could ride a bike I tied a rope to the Yamaha PW and chased them around, stopping them when  they were headed for something solid. Now they are professional motorcycles racers, I had no clue it would go there.  Put on as many miles as you can before you go, muscle memory is important at critical times.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 05:23:25 pm
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.
Teach him how to ride and he can go buy his own damn fish at the store.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 05:28:32 pm
Speaking from experience, teach you kid to ride and you wont have any money for fish. Worth every penny!

woodboats

• Grease Monkey
  • New Zealand
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 07:19:16 pm
It's funny though, we have had bikes off and on for many years yet the kids(adults now) never took a great interest in them. I guess they figured it was just a hobbiy the "oldies" did.
I took something like this trip to really get his interest up and now he is already talking about bigger bikes etc.

Anyone else had famiily members that don't show much interest in your bikes and riding?
Ours: 2006 Bullet Deluxe 500
Hers: 2007 Yamaha V Star 650
His: 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 07:28:38 pm
  My immediate family no...but not many of my cousins ride now or ever have.  Although all my Uncles/Aunts (minus one) had at least one in their past.

Don't know what they are missing..have fun or your journey.

Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 08:32:22 pm
My marauding horde likes bikes. They all want mine. 
Fat chance  ;D

We have had a parade of Japanese enduro and MX bikes come and go over the years. Now they are down to a Virago 750 and an XR200.
Youngest is building a Bullet one piece at a time.

Some of the best times of my life are had on a Bike.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 10:41:28 pm
Wow. I admire  your relationship with  your son. I do hope you will film your advetures and maybe share some of your trip with us here on the forum. Do be safe, best wishes and congrats. Gerry
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500