Author Topic: Ran great -- then died  (Read 2872 times)

SeattleJim

• Scooter
on: February 18, 2010, 08:58:39 pm

Our Enfield quit running on my wife at work a few weeks ago. She was backing into a parking space when the engine quit. She didn't think too much of it until she came back out and it wouldn't start.

The engine turns over when pressing the start button. When turning the ignition on the Engine Light does not come on and the fuel pump makes no sound. A t least one of the relays clicks. I checked continuity on all of the fuses. I've pulled apart all of the connections I could find, sprayed contact cleaner in them and reseated them.

Bad Bank Angle Sensor? I thought for sure it must be bad. The dealer is about 100 miles away but we were in the area last weekend. We plugged the sensor into one of his bikes and it worked fine.

Bad Sidestand Switch: I disconnected it months ago.

Low Fuel? Fuel level is only about 1/2 inch down, can't fit much more in there.

Bad Kill Switch? The starter shouldn't work if this is bad but I'll check continuity this weekend.

Bad Clutch Switch? Engine wouldn't crank, would it?

There are two similar relays behind the left side panel. Are they the same types of relays? I'm thinking I'll swap them to see if there is a change.

What else should I check?

-Jim

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:28:05 pm
Well, I don't have a UCE bike, but my brother does.  The very first thing that happens when you turn the key is you hear the fuel pump.  It seems to me if you're not hearing that, then you have a likely suspect.  It can crank all day long but never fire if it isn't getting fuel.  I'd start by making sure that the your pump is getting power.  Check the wiring to the pump with a volt meter.  It doesn't sound like the plug is the issue, but I'd try popping in a new plug just to be sure.  It's a quick thing to check.

If you can't find the solution easily, just take it to the dealer.  It may be 100 miles, but it's under warranty and could save you time in the long run.

Eamon
Eamon

SeattleJim

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:20:56 am
Never mind. It was a simple fix.

I decided to start over on the diagnosis. I pulled the fuses but this time banged them against the concrete for a stress test. One of them was bad. It looks fine but no continuity. Sigh...

Great bike -- shame about the owner!

Oh well. I look forward to riding it again tomorrow.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:31:48 am
Great! glad it was simple,
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:49:19 am
Good news!  It usually is something simple, isn't it (not just on motorcycles)?  Don't forget to grab a new spare fuse in case there was a reason that fuse went out and it happens again.  You don't want to get stuck on the side of the road somewhere when a spare fuse would have gotten you home.

Eamon
Eamon

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 07:28:51 am
This happend to me once after blue printing a C5.
The pump would come on.
We had fuell.
We had spark (Tested with a spare plug in the plug cap against the engine case)
Still it would not start.
The plugs where getting wet with fuell but no start.

Finally we figured one of the plugs was damp with oil.
Wiped it dry and the bike fired right up.
It would seem even with two plugs. If one plug is shorted it wont fire.
Because the energy for the spark is coming off a single coil.