Author Topic: Bullet in the living room.  (Read 13416 times)

LJRead

Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 08:05:54 pm

Thanks for your concern.  Sounds like Katrina has gotten you spooked - as well it should.  I just heard the hurricane has shifted to the northwest of Fiji and they may get hit, probably not us.

Big hurricanes hit here every twenty years or so.  There were biggies in 1962,
1981 and 2001, smaller ones in between.  The one that hit here six years ago was pretty bad, power out for a month or so, but, since it hit during low tide, shore homes weren't hit as bad as would have been the case at a high tide.  People still want to live right on the water, but I have never liked the idea.  There is also the danger of Tsunamis.  We are on the eastern edge of one of the great tectonic plates which is tilting downward toward the East (all underwater) and has left the second deepest trench in the world just to the east of us.  It is second in depth to the Marianas trench, 
Anyway, what this means is frequent earthquakes (last one a year or two ago at 8 on the Richter scale), and infrequent tsunamis.  We seem to have an earthquake every few weeks.  I have gotten so used to them I hardly pay attention. Amazing how puny we are in the face of nature!

But I think we are safe for this latest one - my only concern is that it is occurring so early in the season.  We usually don't get hit until closer to March.  Global warming?

Anyway, the kayak will soon be back out on the pouch, but maybe not.  It is easy to get adjusted to things like boats (or motorcycles) in the house, isn't it? I wonder if I should let my dog in - naw, too many fleas.

Sixty5inILL

• Sucker for a Pretty Face
  • Scooter
Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 09:19:48 pm
I'll just keep mine in the finished basement and not push the living room idea.  Much easier to get them worked on when its warm.  It was °6 this morning when I left for work and we are expecting 2-4" of more snow tonight.  Yay.
'04 Bullet Sixty-5 Magic Black
'00 Bullet 350cc- bone stock, Athena Gray
'07 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600
'67 Moto Guzzi Sport
1979 Honda Twinstar CM185T
1983 Honda Shadow 750

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: December 06, 2007, 09:37:12 pm
Living with the wife and bike in the house is a breeze.  I rebuilt and customized a 1958 Honda Dream in barracks upstairs.    I had to put up with the 1stSgt and got away with it.  This was at Yokota AB in 1964.   Got some pics to prove  it I think....I think that bike was more quaint then the Bullet...dg

Storm-Petrel

• Neophyte
Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 01:52:00 am
Foggy said, "I have yet to find a woman who'd allow a motorcycle in the house, much less in the living room!"

Well, you've just met one. We have a like-new Benelli Cobra 125 next to the dining table. My only gripe is that our house is too small to accommodate more motorcycles. Maybe we should get rid of some of the furniture.

So glad I don't have to have a wife. She'd probably make me sell all the bikes.

Storm-Petrel (aka Gabrielle)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #34 on: December 19, 2007, 06:04:20 pm
I did some front end work on my vintage scooter in my living room a couple years ago.  I had a tarp under it of course and I waited until my wife went to visit our daughter about 300 miles away to do it.  That might sound less manly then some would like, but I'm not stupid. 

She came home, things were fine, just like nothing at all happened.  What?  What scooter are you talking about?  I haven't seen any scooters in here!

:)
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way