Author Topic: New Exhaust  (Read 2731 times)

Blackthou

• Scooter
on: December 19, 2007, 08:25:28 pm
I fitted a new system at the weekend, downpipe and short muffler. When I took the old factory system off I was surprised to see that the muffler bracket had gouged a big lump out the swinging arm.- so check yours!
I fiited the new system loosely and lined it all up in an uninfluenced state. I had to space out the upper muffler mount by about 6-8mm, the front silencer mount by 2-3 mm and the downpipe stay by 2mm or the bend fouled on the oil pump housing.
I checked and double checked all was clear before ightening everything up. Started her up and the sound was amazing. Very crisp and authentic 60's British thump. Had to reset the mixture screw (richer) or she wouldn't tick over. All ok now. Haven't road tested yet.Engine sounded sweeter due to less stress transmittted through the frame/engine by the fouling mountings.
I've got an Amal conversion for Christmas from my wife and look forward to fitting and trying it out. I intend to go out for a blast first to appreciate the improvement with the new exhaust system prior to the carb change so I can get the feel of each improvement separately. The new carb has been supplied jetted to suit the exhaust and has a freer flowing filter. I know the existing carb will run lean but still wish to see the improvement.
Will post some pictures as and when.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 09:21:30 pm
Watch you don't 'blue-up' that nice shiny new header pipe straight away from a lean running carb!!!!  :o
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Bullet500Dude

• Scooter
  • Me in Mexico
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 12:50:19 am
Hmmmmm.  Please keep an eye on the color of the sparkplug to see how her mixture is.  She should be way lean from the decreased restriction.  Be careful not to burn a valve, or burn a hole in the piston.  I personally wouldn't ride much her until you know the jetting is correct.
Take CARE, be BAD ;-) and ride SAFE ....... D.B.