Author Topic: Article on the new UCE engine  (Read 35057 times)

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008, 08:59:50 pm
The bike will be unveiled at the INTERMOT show in Cologne Germany on October 6. I am sure it will hit the internet within a few minutes. It will be very early morning here in the US. I will be there and will try to upload to the forum if I can from the show site. If not then later in the day.
Kev, do you think they'll have one of the new UCE bikes to look at at our around-the-country motorcycle shows (like the one at the Cleveland EX Center)?  I'd love to see one 'in the flesh' now that I have my Classic nailed down.   8)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 09:01:50 pm
In theory there will be one at the NY show. It is doubtful that we will do Cleveland (which is my personal favorite show) unless the dealers in that area really want to. You talk to a lot of people at those shows but it is very difficult to determine the cost/benefit ratio, especially for a dealer. Time will tell though.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 02:01:53 pm
Understood on the cost/benefit idea.  Those shows do whack folks a real hunk just for a diddeling bit of their real estate.  Maybe I'll have to wait to see one 'till L & L gets one in, if they do.  Thanks for the response! :)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 BMW F800ST

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 02:35:12 am
With the Ural, the company and dealers have bikes there, and volunteers man the booths. Volunteers get a t shirt and free admission. It is felt that potential customers can actually talk to owners and that is a selling point.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 04:26:10 am
I remember talking to RE owners/volunteers at the NY show a couple years ago, and it was definitely a plus.

Last year I was really disappointed not to see RE there. The highlight for me was the Ural stall, which smelled like booze and some guy was walking around in a grey Soviet officer's uniform with a big cap and high boots.

Looking forward to the RE stall this year.

Jeff

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 03:03:40 pm
Went specifically to the Cleveland show last year at the IX center to see an RE, and there were none there.  Ural, yes.  RE, no.  Hope there'll be an RE represented this year, though if there isn't I will understand as I found out what those jokers that run the shows charge even for an itty bitty piece of their real estate for those 3 (read 2 1/2) days.  I have a strong suspicion those show operators are in it for massive bucks, not for motorcyclists nor motorcycle producers.  The bottom line is bunches of USDs  and the other only as the milch cows for same!  Blechhhh! :P
Ralph Meyer
2010 BMW F800ST

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 12:37:29 am
I remember talking to RE owners/volunteers at the NY show a couple years ago, and it was definitely a plus.

Last year I was really disappointed not to see RE there. The highlight for me was the Ural stall, which smelled like booze and some guy was walking around in a grey Soviet officer's uniform with a big cap and high boots.

Looking forward to the RE stall this year.

Jeff

HAHAHA!
I can just picture the Ural nut dressing up like a Russian Officer, and the booth smelling like booze. That's hilarious.
At the Ural Rallies someone always brings in Russian rotgut, Baltica or something like that and they think it's some magic elixir. They probably bottle it in Chernobyl. After a few beers they start talking with a Russian accent, it's really funny.
Some have machine gun replicas mounted on the sidecar. it's a trip. Great bunch of guys though.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 12:39:48 am
JD,
Just saw that it was the NY show. I bet that was New Jersey Ken. ;D
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 01:38:37 am
There was an RE volunteer from New Jersey. I don't recall his name, but he was very friendly and had a green Bullet. I enjoyed talking to him.

The Ural guy in the uniform looked like a retired Ivan Drago. Unfortunately I didn't get his name.  ;)

Jeff

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 04:45:13 am
Booth rental alone for the circuit is well in excess of $60,000. NY by itself is about $5,000 for a 20ft by 20ft space. This is only the base beginning.
Then you have to buy state and local licenses, pay union workers so you can roll your own bikes in to some houses. Pay an electrician if you need a light bulb replaced in some cities (can't do it yourself), carpet is another $800-$1,000.per city (can't use your own) .Then there is the cost of transporting the bikes which can easliy run another $50,000-$60,000. Add in travel , hotels food and wages for people to work the booth and it really gets to be a big number.
All of this is for the modest type of space that URAL has had or that we have had at the larger shows. Triumph quit going a couple of years ago. Their bill was over $1,500,000. I cannot imagine what Harley and the other big guys pay.
  The promoters (Advanstar) are only in it for the money, but they are good people and do a good job. I have no gripe with them at all. The cost is not out of line for similar space in other industries.
It costs a lot of money to rent the space and turn on the lights. Go behind one of buildings some time and take a look at the number of huge trucks. It is sort of amazing.
  By comparison a full page ad in Cycle World runs aroung $8,000-$15,000 dependinig upon how many you run a year. Rider is about $5,000 and good old Walnecks is about $1,000 (our best producing ad). A page in the souvineer guide that they give out at the IMS shows is about $3,000-$4,000.
  The prices amaze me especially in the day and age where fewer and fewer comapnies are buying print advertising.
  By far and away the Internet is our best tool. Havingf said that nothing beats seeing one in person and having somebody to answer questions.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 05:12:16 am
Damn Kevin, I had no idea it was so expensive. Save your money.

The Enfield is a niche bike, and you don't need to compete with the Honda crowd.

Print advertising (even in Real Estate) is on its' way out. A good web presence is more effective.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: September 26, 2008, 06:02:09 am
    I went to the Seattle, Wa. Cycle World show 2-3 years in a row about 5-6 years ago, and remember there was a Royal Enfield booth there. I was quite excited to finally see them after reading about them for years.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 02:15:27 pm
Thanks for the read-out on the IM shows prices, Kevin!  I wasn't quite sure what the exact figures were, but I know they were up there. That's some pricey real estate!  Me?  I'll wait 'till Matt at L & L gets an American UCE model in...  I imagine he will when they're finally available. Don't think I'll bother going to the IM show in Cleveland this year.  Not much interested in what anybody else has to offer.  ;D 
Ralph Meyer
2010 BMW F800ST

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: September 26, 2008, 02:21:39 pm
Under ideal circumstances we'd go to all of the Cycle World shows, but you can see what the issues are. I like doing the shows. They are a lot of work, but I really enjoy talking to the people. You learn a lot that way..
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: September 26, 2008, 03:14:31 pm
Kevin, let me know via PM if you need volunteers for the NY show. I'm happy to help.

Jeff