Author Topic: Article on the new UCE engine  (Read 35059 times)

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 08:16:55 pm
Looks like a real beauty to me too! :)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 01:26:33 pm
Reference from the hitchcock's site:

There's a 4 page article on the new UCE engine at:
http://royalenfieldbooks.com/

Click on 'Free Downloads'

You have to go through the motions of a 0-dollar purchase and create an account as you go but it's worth the extra minute or two.

Good pix and interesting article.

it's copyrighted by Gordon G. May.

Matt

I think that article is long gone.  I can't find it anywhere on that site.  :'(
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

deejay

Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 10:39:45 pm
I found some more spy pics of this engine, and my god it is UGLY. It looks all square and as if its made in china. Why wouldn't they at least TRY to make it look like the classic engine they are famous for? At least Triumph made their new Bonny engines look similar to the old ones.  Bad move if you ask me on REs part, it doesn't even fit the shape of the bike and looks horribly out of place. I hope for RE USAs sake it is a very reliable engine, because they won't be selling these on looks alone anymore.

:'(

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 02:25:50 pm
I found some more spy pics of this engine, and my god it is UGLY. It looks all square and as if its made in china. Why wouldn't they at least TRY to make it look like the classic engine they are famous for? At least Triumph made their new Bonny engines look similar to the old ones.  Bad move if you ask me on REs part, it doesn't even fit the shape of the bike and looks horribly out of place. I hope for RE USAs sake it is a very reliable engine, because they won't be selling these on looks alone anymore.

:'(
I couldn't agree more. When I first saw the bike it looked like someone had put my Savage motor in the Bullet frame.    Hutch
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 02:30:54 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 12:25:21 am
Patience my grasshopper
The bike the UCE is in is a stop gap deal just for Europe becuase the engine meets Euro 3. It was always intended for a brand new bike which in theory we will have in 2009. While the look will generate debate, I think most of you will find it beautiful.
For what it is worth, the engine is not in it's final visual form either.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 01:31:21 am
Patience my grasshopper
The bike the UCE is in is a stop gap deal just for Europe becuase the engine meets Euro 3. It was always intended for a brand new bike which in theory we will have in 2009. While the look will generate debate, I think most of you will find it beautiful.
For what it is worth, the engine is not in it's final visual form either.
Thank you Royal Enfield 1, I was about to give up on the only company that I have had faith in for most of my life.    Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 01:53:29 am
Actually as recently as two weeks ago they were in Italy "tweaking" the sound of the bike. In the domestic Indian market the "Beat" or sound of the engine is absolutely critical. The Lean-Burn apparantly misses the mark, but the new engine with a bit of tweaking has the sound they are looking for. I can't verify this but people at the factory have told me that in the region of Punjab (which is RE's largest market) a customer will walk into a showroom, start all of the bikes and pick the one whose "Beat" is most pleasing to them. I find it so interesting why the bikes sell in different areas of the world. Now always what you think.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 04:30:43 pm
I'm really looking forward to seeing the new bike. The timing is good too. If I like it, it will be my next bike. I originally wanted a delux, but the Electra had all the engine mods incorporated that I would have done myself, so I went with the X. If they would have come out with the AVL in the old style bikes to begin with, I would have gotten one, But I couldn't wait any longer. I'm happy with my bike now though, I can cruise all day without worry, but in the future, I may want to take a cross-country trip and the UCE will probably handle that better. If the new bike is not to my liking, I'll probably add a Hinckly Triumph to the stable.

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 05:17:55 pm
I do hope they continue to pay careful attention to preserving the classic look.  I hope to see one with the chromed tank.  I can't fault the new engine for looks myself.  Seems very compact and well thought-out. There is something to be said for letting a little modernity show through if the alternative is creating a bunch of falsework just to keep the "classic" look.  If you've seen the current crop of Japanese cruiser bikes, You will notice that some have gone a little bit too far to incorporate a Harley look.

The thing about Royal Enfield is that it IS the authentic product, not a reproduction; and some evolutionary (as opposed to revolutionary) changes for the better are to be expected.  Harley does this and Enfield can do the same thing for the same reasons.  If the result is a more reliable bike with style continuity, then by all means.  Just because I own wrenches doesn't mean I want to use them much.

Bath Bullet

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 07:13:20 pm
I hope they can do something about the LAMDA sensor, its worse to look at than the PAV!
Best regards
Terry
BITING THE BULLET:  2001 500 CLASSIC living in Sunny Bat, Somerset
Also 2008 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE 865 EFI

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 06:20:45 pm
Well, it's coming into autumn now, and some bike shows are coming up.
Are there going to be any photos expected of the new C5 UCE with the vintage styling?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

stw

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 08:20:09 am
Click on 'Free Downloads'
Doesn't seem to be a link to "free downloads" anymore.  Has the article been posted anywhere or can some one email me?

Thanks.
1995 RE Bullet 4speed

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 01:09:51 am
The bike will be unveiled at the INTERMOT show in Cologne Germany on October 6. I am sure it will hit the internet within a few minutes. It will be very early morning here in the US. I will be there and will try to upload to the forum if I can from the show site. If not then later in the day.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 04:47:19 pm
Looking forward to it. Will that be the Electra with a UCE or the new body?

Jeff

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 04:58:50 pm
Kind of reminds me off the old flat top BSA engines.  Guess it could grow on you if you give it a chance. ;D
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.