Author Topic: Article on the new UCE engine  (Read 35055 times)

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #45 on: September 27, 2008, 12:32:09 pm
Under ideal circumstances we'd go to all of the Cycle World shows, but you can see what the issues are. I like doing the shows. They are a lot of work, but I really enjoy talking to the people. You learn a lot that way..

My family owns a small commercial fishing/marine supply firm in the Seattle area, and every other year, (show would alternate between Seattle and Boston), would rent floor space and booth amenities from the show sponsors.  Once the show (Fish Expo), started moving to the more expensive venues, the costs for these rentals went through the roof, discouraging tenants and the result was fewer displays, thus even higher rents, thus fewer displays, etc., etc., until the little commecial fishing show we participated in morphed into a consolidation of workboats (tugs, oil industry, barge co., and commercial fishing). 
It's still a good trade show, but lost a lot of character and neighborly feel to it, (IMO).
The consequence has been a noticeable absence of the smaller marine suppliers, Mom and Pop fabricators and boatbuilders, and the emphasis went to the biggies, i.e., the major engine suppliers, hydraulic trawl equipment, Furuno, big shipyards in the south, etc.
With that comes a noticeable absence of the "everyman," looking to spend a few thousand bucks.  You end up with a lot of vendors just walking around to see what the competition is doing.

You'd probably be better off just coming around to the various dealerships, showing a few models, maybe have a test ride bike, tear down an engine in 2 hours or less, and give away some hats.  BMW does this and it generates a lot of interest.

For what its worth.  Steve

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #46 on: September 29, 2008, 02:05:02 am
Kevin, funny you mentioned "Walnecks". It's a great "rag" and where I first saw the Bullet. The ad was in about the middle of the magazine. The photo was fuzzy a bit out of focus  and the color had run. I think they print the magazine on a combination of recycled news and toilet paper. Well anyway, I was totally smitten. I bought one within a year. I didn't even take a test  ride. I found a dealer, bought it and rode it home. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made. That was five years and one wife ago. She's gone, but the Bullet is still with me! This wonderful anachronism helped me stay sane and still does!!!! Works better than Prozac   cochi ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #47 on: September 29, 2008, 02:45:12 am
Kevin, funny you mentioned "Walnecks". It's a great "rag" and where I first saw the Bullet. The ad was in about the middle of the magazine. The photo was fuzzy a bit out of focus  and the color had run. I think they print the magazine on a combination of recycled news and toilet paper. Well anyway, I was totally smitten. I bought one within a year. I didn't even take a test  ride. I found a dealer, bought it and rode it home. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made. That was five years and one wife ago. She's gone, but the Bullet is still with me! This wonderful anachronism helped me stay sane and still does!!!! Works better than Prozac   cochi ;)

I've tilted a few beers back in the day, with Buzz Walneck.
I used to live in the Chigagoland area, and I went over to Buzz's fairly often, and bought 2 bikes from him too.
A Laverda 1000 3c Jarama and a Benelli 750 SEI six-cylinder.
Both very nice bikes.

Buzz is a real blast to talk to!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #48 on: September 30, 2008, 02:05:24 am
Ace, Walnecks is one of my favorite magazines. I really like the reprints of road tests done in the 50's and 60's. They bring back many wonderful memories. You are lucky to have met Buzz. Sounds like a great guy to "bench race" with. I 'm also anxious to see the new Bullet. The motor looks good, but I'm a bit put off by the fuel injection. I like and understand carbs. Electronic fuel injection is a bit too complicated for me. cochi :)

Bath Bullet

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: September 30, 2008, 06:00:21 pm
Will EFI put paid to 'home' changes like different silencers, filters etc, because it wont be the case of just changing a jet or two, will it?
It could mean everyone riding round on stock bikes, unless there is a simple way of doing things, it might knock the market for optional parts down too.
Just how much the owner will be able to do himself without complicated tools and computer plug ins concearns me a bit!
Best regards
Terry
BITING THE BULLET:  2001 500 CLASSIC living in Sunny Bat, Somerset
Also 2008 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE 865 EFI

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: September 30, 2008, 08:43:04 pm
Scott, you are absolutely right. It's not easy to tinker with EFI without expensive  gizmo's  and a degree in computer science. I used to be able to tune up my own car. Now when  looking under the bonnet of some  cars,  I can't even see the motor. There is usually a plastic cover over the entire engine bay. I'm afraid that bikes have been heading in the same direction for the last couple of years.  My brother has a late model BMW R1100, with air/oil cooled  boxer motor and it's kind of weird hearing the electric fuel pump motor spool up when the ignition is switched on. It's a great bike, but it costs an arm and leg to service. Give me a good carb any day!! cochi :'(

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #51 on: September 30, 2008, 11:14:04 pm
Fuel injection is not all that bad, once you get used to it.
The new UCE is supposed to feature a "user diagnostic" system that will tell you if there is something wrong, via a series of blinks on some warning light or something.

Mostly, you just need to be sure that the pressure in the fuel system is correct, and that there isn't any blockage in the injector. After that, it's all computer mapping.
But there will be more sensors located on the engine and its parts, for the ECU computer to monitor various conditions.

I'm certain that there will be some form of aftermarket "chip" or "Power Commander" system available at some  point for performance tuning.

Don't let it scare you. Fuel injection is actually a better form of fuel delivery than a carburetor, and can give performance gains and fuel economy improvements.
Go with the flow, don't get intimidated, and everything will be fine.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #52 on: September 30, 2008, 11:20:04 pm
i think they can even adjust themselves to a change of exhaust systems
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #53 on: October 01, 2008, 12:36:47 am
Ace, I'll get used to the technology, eventually. I did learn to use a computer just this year, but I'm going into the future kicking and screaming!!! ;Dcochi

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #54 on: October 01, 2008, 05:40:29 am

Bob,
What did you think of the UCE when you rode it?

i think they can even adjust themselves to a change of exhaust systems
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #55 on: October 01, 2008, 11:18:13 am
more power,  better aceleration, no need to downshift on some pretty good hills. sounded like a bullet,has that thumper feeling.the odometer had 50 miles on it so i took it easy , then kevin said that the motor was already broken in. some of the other guys may have wrung it out so get some more opinions.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #56 on: October 01, 2008, 04:17:19 pm
Ace,
I hope you are not suggesting that someone like me has contacted Power Commander in Las Vegas and talked to them about developing a unit, or has started to develop aftermarket exhausts.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #57 on: October 02, 2008, 01:38:39 am
Ace,
I hope you are not suggesting that someone like me has contacted Power Commander in Las Vegas and talked to them about developing a unit, or has started to develop aftermarket exhausts.
well, it certainly would be nice if you could. it'd be neat to be able to get a different silencer, but i actually like the style you already have. i am curious though, about how much does it take to break in the new engine?

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #58 on: October 02, 2008, 02:51:37 am
Sorry, no idea
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #59 on: October 02, 2008, 04:12:49 am
Sorry, no idea
guess i'll be waiting until they get some circulation in Europe. if worse comes to worse, i could always just give it the standard 1k. ::)