Author Topic: "Is it a Norton?"  (Read 7173 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 09:47:28 pm
When I tell people my C5 is an '09 I have to give the whole story. When I say it's a '51 they say "cool" and walk away. The answer I give depends on how much time I have to waste :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 11:51:12 pm

Short answer.
" '54 assembled in '06 " 

Long answer.
" Just imagine that Chevrolet never ever stopped producing the '55 Bel Air, not even for one day, that's the deal here"

No matter where you go, there, you are.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 12:46:41 pm
Short answer.
" '54 assembled in '06 " 

Long answer.
" Just imagine that Chevrolet never ever stopped producing the '55 Bel Air, not even for one day, that's the deal here"

Oh! - That's GOOD! I never quite thought of it in terms of the Chev-uh-LAY - but it's so perfect! EVERYONE gets that .... well, with the possible exception of ME - Hahahaha!! I'd say it'd be like the Austin Mini .....   ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 03:27:38 pm
I had a guy chase me down on a bicycle, catch me as I was parking in front of the NAPA auto parts store....huffing..." Hey man, whats that?" the man ask. I  say," its a Royal Enfield".
 The huffing man looks puzzled, then ask, "Who makes it'? I  answer 'Royal Enfield".
The huffing man looks confused and just peddles away.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 06:45:35 pm
I had a guy chase me down on a bicycle, catch me as I was parking in front of the NAPA auto parts store....huffing..." Hey man, whats that?" the man ask. I  say," its a Royal Enfield".
 The huffing man looks puzzled, then ask, "Who makes it'? I  answer 'Royal Enfield".
The huffing man looks confused and just peddles away.

I've had that several times as well.  "Who makes it?"  I answer "Royal Enfield."  They reply "yeah, but who makes it?  Harley?  Honda?  Yamaha?"  It's hard to get through to them at that point!  I've also had the car window roll down in the lane next to me and heard someone say "nice Triumph!"  Could it possibly say "Royal Enfield" on the tank in larger letters???  Oh well, they mean well and are trying to be complimentary, even if they might be a little dense!

Eamon
Eamon

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 06:57:49 pm
Maybe he was a time traveling Triumph rider from 1960's Britain, when Triumph and RE were battling on the streets, and he was sarcastically insulting you.

Quick question: was he driving a flying DeLorean?
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 09:15:51 pm
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4769.msg54174.html#msg54174

Since then been yelled at  to stop  for photos by NW VMA photographer (Bltrdr and I  both,  our  bad)  and various assundry Squishymart owners ect. To funny. These bikes are very photogenic. Better just get used to it. Pic below from VMA Isle of Vashon TT 's photographer. He was shooting everything that went  by. We didn't know was  supposed to stop an pose  or  something an  got  yelled at. Case an point...we been  desensitized to  the "Hey Wait" stuff ect. while  riding. So we  waved and continued on the poker run. OOPS :-[  Gerry
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:37:01 pm by 500KsGerry »
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 09:43:52 pm
I don't even have to go anywhere, people stop by when i'm washing it in the front yard. My neighbor across the street rides a big Honda and knows i do my wrenching in back of my house on a cement pad. He's always cruising around the block, out of his way, to get a peek :)
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 03:36:41 am
I like the "What kinda Harley is that?"

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 03:47:24 am
i just tell em it's a basket case I bought off e bay.. don't  know nothing about it.. just got it running .. and MAN is it swEET  :P

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 05:24:20 pm
I like the "What kinda Harley is that?"

-Rick

The cool kind.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 10:26:40 pm
Well I've given this some  more thought after a PM from a member here.   If I am approached agin about my particular bike my response will be....'Its a Royal Enamaha'  ::) ;D
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 03:10:52 am
Questions from guys 50+ are usually "what year is that?" to which I reply "mechanically 1955." Often the follow up question involves specifics of the engine and other parts, which results in a trip down memory lane.

The question from younger guys at the gas station is usually "is it fast?" To which I just shake my head.

A guy on a 200 mph crotch-rocket once asked me what speed I'd had it up to, to which my Socratic response was "actual or indicated?"

Sometimes if there's a bunch of young guys next to me in a van or work truck they'll try to get me to do a wheelie, and I just say "no."

Jeff

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 03:29:11 pm
I had a guy at a gas station TELL me my bike was a BSA!  As I don't have any markings on  my bike, argument was futile with this old boy. 
geichal

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 04:23:08 pm
I had a guy at a gas station TELL me my bike was a BSA!  As I don't have any markings on  my bike, argument was futile with this old boy. 
geichal

"Yes", you say, "it is a BSA!" "Actually it is a very rare Model called a Bullet, it was produced on a short production run of one year and was only sold in the U.K. as a pre-sale through a couple of the top dealerships." Then continue, "I found it on Craigslist for $500, some guy had been storing it in the garage for many years for his son who had bought it overseas while in the service and decided recently he just needed some room." "His loss my gain!"

You may become an urban legend.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII