Author Topic: Euro classic or New 500es Classic?  (Read 4097 times)

IndyJAG

• Scooter
on: November 30, 2007, 02:01:54 am
Hello everyone,
I have a few questions regarding the difference in models and years.  I am looking for a daily driver, to commute and sunday cruise.  I am currently entertaining purchase of a 2003 500 euro classic, as well a 2006-2008 500 classic.  Does anyone have any strong feelings, or is aware of technical improvement between these models or years? Thanks for reading and answering my questions.
JAG
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 04:03:03 am by IndyJAG »

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 03:23:16 pm
Indy -

Don't know where you're located, but my experience with my U.S.  '06/07 (purchased late '06 but says '07 on title) Classic 500 has been very pleasing... I suspect Kevin will weigh in and offer his experience, but it seems from what I read here and on the RE yahoo groups that quality problems are fewer every year. 

Is the '03 Euro a five-speed left shifter?  I guess the four-speed/clutch has its own unique characteristics, but I think the five-speed is as good a tranny as I've had on any bike (after I put 1000 miles on it).

I quess the hardest choice is to purchase an older bike for less and be prepared to put up with whatever was done (or not) by the previous owner, or go for a new one with warranty support.   I had a few problems that I COULD have pushed  the Dealer to mess with, but ended up taking care of them myself as part of learning to be a Bulleteer...

All that being said, I can't wait until I get to put a second Bullet in the stable...  cause I like messing with them almost as much as riding...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 03:29:15 pm by mbevo1 »
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

IndyJAG

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 03:28:11 am
Thanks mike.  Great looking bike!  The 2003 in question is a "slightly used "bike ,23 original miles, 4spd transmission. They claim 93 mpg, mint condition, listing for just under 4000.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me the benefit or shortcomings of this transmission.  What's the ride quality like?  Thanks in advance for weighing in.
93 mpg how's that?!
jag

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:33:40 am
Thanks mike.  Great looking bike!  The 2003 in question is a "slightly used "bike ,23 original miles, 4spd transmission. They claim 93 mpg, mint condition, listing for just under 4000.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me the benefit or shortcomings of this transmission.  What's the ride quality like?  Thanks in advance for weighing in.
93 mpg how's that?!
jag

There is nothing wrong with the 4 speed. I think after 50+yrs they have the bugs worked out of it. It's the left shift linkage that is a mess.  The gearbox is a right shift box with a left shift botch on it.
Best thing you can do to it is put a right shift kit on it or at least a bushing kit.
It takes a thousand miles or so to break it in but after that they just keep getting better.

93 miles to the gallon? Probably more like 63 once you get it all jetted in.

Ride quality?  I have had more fun on my bullet than any bike I have ever owned.
Great MPG, Great Handling, Pure Eye Candy!
Fast, naw but something that oozes that much raw cool out of every joint (along with a bit of oil to lube the cool) don't have to be!
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

us.classic

• Scooter
  • Larry on 2007 US Classic named Angel
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 09:13:52 pm
Hi Jag,

This is the bike for you. 2007 Bullet 500,  405 set up miles and ready to ride with 5 speed and many options. Under $3,000 now but expect it to go up near the auction end.

http://tinyurl.com/yrqgn6

Bid high my friend you will be glad you did.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 12:15:22 am
Hi Jag,

This is the bike for you. 2007 Bullet 500,  405 set up miles and ready to ride with 5 speed and many options. Under $3,000 now but expect it to go up near the auction end.

http://tinyurl.com/yrqgn6

Bid high my friend you will be glad you did.

Quote from the forum rules:

2. Because we are a dealer based company we cannot allow "For-Sale" posts, we do encourage "Wanted" posts.
Eamon