Author Topic: Have you guys seen this?  (Read 11089 times)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 09:16:44 pm
  I really on my Inuit blood most of time in making major decisions.  The few times I didn't trust the heart I really paid the price (thank God the divorce went as well as it did).

We could probably compare chapters in a life story and most of them would be the same titles/subjects.  That's life man..that's life.

Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 09:42:58 pm
Will talk over a beers and tandoori chicken some day.

On another note, from a novice: Does removing restrictors out of the stock muffler produce the same benefit as a short muffler.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 10:36:52 pm
  IMHO removing the baffles totally from a muffler just makes it louder, might lose low end torque..and you'll probably have some other performance issues if it's a non UCE model.  Supposedly the ECU on those remap the injectors as the engine runs..don't know for sure.

With a short muffler you are reducing the restrictive area of the original muffler w/o lowering the torque greatly.  Also saving weight along the way.  And should notice a gain in HP.  I can explain it better for Japanese bikes with fuel injection that I've changed the air cleaner/exhaust on to open them up..but also had to remap the fuel injection system to compensate for lean burning conditions.

But I can sasy if I run the mufflers on my 2000 Drifter w/o the baffles I lose performance (torque)  and increase noise.  So there's my 2 rupees' worth of knowledge onthe subject.

But Tandoori chicken sounds excellent..get the curry ready.

Will.

Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 10:43:04 pm
Can you tell by just looking inside the muffler if the baffles are there or not. I just picked one up on my trip to India for my Electra, dont know if it has the baffles. The opening appears to be partly covered by a crescent shaped thing which appears like mesh. Will take it out in the sun for better look. Do you think that might be the baffle.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: February 14, 2010, 12:35:31 am
  Could very well be.  Some of the cocktail shaker type mufflers simply have two restrictor plates in the end.  Thats about how the output end of mine looks, sort of like around screen with holes.

Would almost have to see what you are looking at to be sure.  But you probably have the baffle in it.

Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.