Author Topic: Have you guys seen this?  (Read 11082 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 07:11:56 pm
So its not power , speed or reliability (Japanese bikes/cars have a history of significantly more reliability, This Toyota thing is an exception). So what exactly is it, other than off course it is a rare, retro looking bike, which does require some handy skills.   

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 07:16:48 pm
I would disagree. A brand new Yamaha V star 950 cc on sale for 7000.00, is just a tad more than the UCE.  A lot more power, reliability and good styling. Sure they dont look retro.

Besides, the UCE is available for almost half the price in India, which makes it overpriced, under reliable , but good looking bike.

Why do think they are unreliable? The UCE I mean? This forum hasn't shown up anything other than loose electrical connections to my knowledge and I'm here a lot. No major issues at all with this bike to date. OK, I said myself build quality could be better but with TLC it will hold its finish. As 1Blackwolf1 said, that's part of the experience.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 07:25:35 pm
My bike is utterly reliable, and if I need to explain the riding experience you'll never understand.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 07:27:16 pm
1. The enfields have a history of being unreliable. The UCE has not stood the test of time, yet. UCE already had a recall on the transmission. The issues with electric starter is ongoing. It probably is better than the prior models, but I ll wait to be sure about that.

2. I was at a dealer recently who would not bring 2009 UCE for the same reason. He sold his demo UCE with less than a 100 miles at a huge discount with a huge disclaimer.

Bikers always tinker with their bikes, Japanese or Indian. I am one of them. Like Wolf said, its a part of the experience. But, there is a difference between tinkering to maintain or enhance performance Vs. tinkering to just keep it running (older models off course).

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 07:28:59 pm
What do you ride?
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 07:30:17 pm
My bike is utterly reliable, and if I need to explain the riding experience you'll never understand.

Its encouraging. I want to get  G5 myself. And I agree, emotional experiences are difficult to explain in words, especially the head-turning thump thump. Performance numbers on a dyno speak for themselves.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 07:31:14 pm
What do you ride?

Have a history with 350 iron barrels back in India. Waiting for my electra to arrive any day.  An RE for 7000.00 just does not make sense to me. I could buy a Yamaha v Twin 900 cc for the same, or even a Harley sportster for a little more.

I know I am comparing apples and oranges, but the are both fruit, and good for you too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:37:13 pm by 1 Thump »

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 07:42:11 pm
I would disagree. A brand new Yamaha V star 950 cc on sale for 7000.00, is just a tad more than the UCE.  A lot more power, reliability and good styling. Sure they dont look retro.

Besides, the UCE is available for almost half the price in India, which makes it overpriced, under reliable , but good looking bike.

Yes on sale it's that price..what does it normally list for?  I found a price of 8100-8300 hundred on it.  Kind of an unfair comparison.  You could throw lots of machines into that price range.  But at list you'd have to use the 650 Yamaha.  

A lot of this bikes allure is it's history.  If you want Japanese/European reliability you have to go that way.  I have a rock solid  '81 Honda Silverwing with 45000 plus miles on it.  Love the bike but it's still a plastic laden, uninspired model, cookie cutter from Honda.

And every manufacturer has it's growing pains..ever hear the saying never buy ANYTHING the first year it's produced?  I say give Enfield the time to work out the bugs on the Uce.  Have to admit they did the right thing when the transmission had a problem..didn't wait to be forced into a recall.  They just did it..no media hype..no delays.
I know Yamaha was having valve train problems a few years back, can't say they were quite as responsive as Enfield.  Vmax owners were not happy.

Guess it's all in what you want out of life.  I know the limitations of all the ponies in my corral..from the Sachs Moped to my 1500CC Drifter.  I still prefer the relative simplicity of the Enfield.  Will it ever be a Honda Silverwing?..No.  Is that what I wanted?..No.

Will.

Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 07:49:45 pm
 Yes on sale it's that price..what does it normally list for?  I found a price of 8100-8300 hundred on it.  Kind of an unfair comparison.  You could throw lots of machines into that price range.  But at list you'd have to use the 650 Yamaha.  

A lot of this bikes allure is it's history.  If you want Japanese/European reliability you have to go that way.  I have a rock solid  '81 Honda Silverwing with 45000 plus miles on it.  Love the bike but it's still a plastic laden, uninspired model, cookie cutter from Honda.

And every manufacturer has it's growing pains..ever hear the saying never buy ANYTHING the first year it's produced?  I say give Enfield the time to work out the bugs on the Uce.  Have to admit they did the right thing when the transmission had a problem..didn't wait to be forced into a recall.  They just did it..no media hype..no delays.
I know Yamaha was having valve train problems a few years back, can't say they were quite as responsive as Enfield.  Vmax owners were not happy.

Guess it's all in what you want out of life.  I know the limitations of all the ponies in my corral..from the Sachs Moped to my 1500CC Drifter.  I still prefer the relative simplicity of the Enfield.  Will it ever be a Honda Silverwing?..No.  Is that what I wanted?..No.

Will.

7000.00 is the advertised price on a 900cc, not the 950 that you are quoting. I drove past the dealer today. Stil listed for the same.

There is no argument against an emotional experience. None. My friends could not believe it when I ordered my electra. Now they are lining up for a ride when it shows up.  Just for the thump thump.

Check this out though :

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,6774.0/all.html

I do not want to generalise anything with this post, but its just an example of inefficiency.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 07:52:10 pm
Well, if buying a RE dosen't make sense to you, don't do it. My bike is worth every penny I paid for it, I've owned around 75 motorcycles in the last 40 years and the C5 is what I've been looking for all my life. I can't explain it better than that
Iron Butt Association

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 08:02:06 pm
I think you are missing my point here. Back in India they say, " Shauk da koee mull nahee !" Meaning : Their is no price for passion/taste. It is one of those things. I already own one, cant wait for it to show up at the door. Already ordered a ton of accesories for it. Thats where my heart is. My brain, however, is another story. And, thats is behind this rant.

I am sure you would not sell your RE if it had more juice in the engine, a higher cruising speed, and the reliability of a Honda, with the retro look, fell and thump, for the same price. There is the difference between a niche market and the mainstream market (here goes my brain again).

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 08:09:40 pm
I give up.
Iron Butt Association

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 08:12:29 pm
I encourage you to read the blog I posted.

Somebody said, " Ambivalence is ubiquitous". There in lies the irony. Conflictual it is. I dont see the logic, but what about the heart that beats thump thump.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:17:25 pm by 1 Thump »

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 08:39:43 pm
   Forget what the head says sometimes..use your Zen here.  Karma man, karma.  I can't wait to have the funds set aside for a G5 military.  Does trrue passion make sense?  In any situation you can think of 100 negatives to 1 positive, go with that the rest is a non-issue.

Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 08:48:50 pm
   Forget what the head says sometimes..use your Zen here.  Karma man, karma.  I can't wait to have the funds set aside for a G5 military.  Does trrue passion make sense?  In any situation you can think of 100 negatives to 1 positive, go with that the rest is a non-issue.

Will.

With a Smile and a giggle :

Passion and sense are polar opposites.

Wolf, my man, someday I ll write a book about what I had to do to get my RE and the accesories. My wife remarked that she has never seen me so patient. I can assure you it will be an interesting read.