Author Topic: Finally got my Classic back!  (Read 2952 times)

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
on: February 09, 2010, 01:57:48 pm
Last night I finally picked up my Classic which had been at the dealers since December and not ridden since October as it was awaiting parts.

After a bit of drama trying to get concerns over it looked at I dropped it off at GV and went back to my chopper project.

Well, sitting on the Classic after so long was an odd experience. She of course, looked beautiful. The dealer had gone over the bike and replaced several components that were sub-par including the saddle, RE replaced my air filter box that had the lacquer flaking off too which was good.

10 minutes on the bike I was back in love with her. Going from the chop to this means alot less power, but the bike handles so well and feels so much nippier than it did before that I had a big stupid grin on my face riding her through town.

On the motorway she cruised comfortably at about 60-65, I overtook a car at 70-75 and she made it without complaint. This is contrary to the last time I had her on the motorway where she seemed to struggle at 60 so not sure what tuning was done at the dealer but I'm happy for it.

Now instead of selling her as I thought I may I think I'm keeping her forever :P But the stock silencer needs to go, am I right in thinking the upswept C5 one has no cats? That should make a difference eh?

2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 04:14:21 pm
just clicked on your re2 how 's that coming ? any pics?
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:38:16 pm
Very pleased you've finally had everything sorted out. Especially if the airbox was replaced under warranty then it's all come good in the end. You've not had much luck if it was previously struggling at 60. Mine has been everything you're enjoying now from the start so naturally I've had only goodwill towards it. Being a Clubman it came with the upswept exhaust and it makes a nice noise and is without a cat. I can't compare performance as I've not known anything else. Certainly, with 760m now clocked it's loosening up very nicely, it will hold 70 and is still smooth at that speed. The last ride I did I had it creep up to 75 briefly but I'm being slow and steady about the run in and I think it will repay me. I also agree that the handlng is excellent though I realise you have a different bike. If I am absolutely honest I must say that now I am used to it I would like a little more power but I also realise that whatever you have this is always the way. It has fulfilled all my expectations and it just has to be accepted for what it is.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 10:19:22 pm
James, I'm delighted you have your bike back. My upswept exhaust looks, sounds and performs fantastic and no cat!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:21:31 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:54:07 pm
Hi James,
I'm very happy that you have the bike the way it should be.
I hope you enjoy many happy miles on it!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 04:37:43 am
Dont make a call to sell it till you try the free flow exhaust.

It would be a big help if you shared with us what the show room guys did to your bike.
i.e. did they just disconect the speedo and run it in for you ?
Or did they replace some stuff in the engine ?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 04:46:26 am
 Congratulations James!!

Many smiles per gallon to you.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 06:10:40 am
Last night I finally picked up my Classic which had been at the dealers since December and not ridden since October as it was awaiting parts.

10 minutes on the bike I was back in love with her. Going from the chop to this means alot less power, but the bike handles so well and feels so much nippier than it did before that I had a big stupid grin on my face riding her through town.

On the motorway she cruised comfortably at about 60-65, I overtook a car at 70-75 and she made it without complaint. This is contrary to the last time I had her on the motorway where she seemed to struggle at 60 so not sure what tuning was done at the dealer but I'm happy for it.

Now instead of selling her as I thought I may I think I'm keeping her forever :P But the stock silencer needs to go, am I right in thinking the upswept C5 one has no cats? That should make a difference eh?
James:

Good to hear from you and know that you are happy.  RE has this beautiful quality that one ride on it will make you forget about its troubles.  It will keep getting better and  you will have this grin on your face for hundreds of miles this summer.

Cheers
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5