Author Topic: Lubricating cables  (Read 7201 times)

Gaffer

• Scooter
on: November 29, 2007, 09:47:13 am
How can you efficiently lubricate brake, clutch and throttle cables?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 12:47:17 pm
CMW has just what you need http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/cable-lube-p-525.html

How can you efficiently lubricate brake, clutch and throttle cables?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 12:56:48 pm
From a post by Dewjantim:

To make a simple, effective cable lubing device take a couple of inches of fuel line and put a clamp on the end of it. Take the cable loose and clamp the fuel line tightly to the end of the cable.  Pour motor oil into the fuel line, being careful that the cable is pointed straight into the air. Let set overnight. The oil will drain into the cable and it will stay lubed for a long time.....Dew

----

I would add to Dew's technique that you can probably push the oil quickly through using a dowel as a ramrod inserted into the open end of the hose.

I still have a well-cared for JC Whitney cable lube syringe that's about 15 years old. It's a standard plastic medical syringe (I think 100cc) with a clear 4 inch hose clamped to it. A rubber stopper goes over the cable end and is inserted into the hose. A hose clamp tightens it all up. Then you just pour in oil and apply gentle pressure until it drips from the other end. (Pushing the exposed cable end in and out from the bottom end expedites the flow as it draws the oil downward).

These simple but effective lubricators cannot be found anymore. I keep thinking about finding sources and then posting do-it-yourself instructions

For the RE maintenance-obsessed, all it takes is consistently, every 5000 miles, removing the cable completely, inspecting it thoroughly, pressure lubricating it with your lubricant of choice, cleaning both exposed ends, clean mounting points and lubing lever and bracketry pivot points; also making sure that it is reinstalled properly. Then every maintenance in between (1850 miles for our REs) cleaning exposed portions and re-lubing with your lubricant of choice, then carefully inspecting for wear.  :-)

Matt

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 12:59:38 pm by Thumper »

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 02:27:24 am
I use one of these cable luber gizmos (see picture) which are available from most motorcycle parts suppliers and probably your local Honda shop for $10 or less.
CMW sells them here
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/cable-lube-p-525.html
I use a teflon/silicon aerosol lubricant that you just attach the little plastic tube to the gizmo and spray until it comes out the other end.  You may have to detach one end of the cable but it can be done on the bike.

Avoid using an oil based lubricant on modern teflon lined cables.  It can make the teflon swell and cause the cable to stick.

[old attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 07:26:30 pm by Royal Enfield 1 »
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

JLR

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 02:54:27 am
Thumper Matt,

try this site. We use these syringes for dispensing things like epoxy resins and di-electric grease where i work. Don't know how much or if they will do business in small quantities, but thought I'd throw it out for ya.

www.efd-inc.com

'

Gaffer

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 09:46:35 am
Thanks for all the replies - I like Dewjantim's idea (KISS), and will try that. I presume, (re the comment from SRL790)  that Electras don't have anything as hi tech as teflon lined cables, and sewing machine oil would be the best lubricant?

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 12:35:30 pm
Thumper Matt,

try this site. We use these syringes for dispensing things like epoxy resins and di-electric grease where i work. Don't know how much or if they will do business in small quantities, but thought I'd throw it out for ya.

www.efd-inc.com

'

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Matt

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:25:41 pm
Myself, I'm too cheap to buy a tool to lube a cable. I stick the cable through the corner of a plastic bag, wrap a couple of twists of electrical tape around it and put a teaspoon of dry graphite in the bag and then spray enough TriFlow or WD-40 in the bag to carry the graphite down and then clip the bag up to my garage door opener until it runs all the way down and comes out the bottom. (garbage can underneath it!)
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 10:29:44 pm
CJ,
  If you would put another bag on the low end of the cable you could use lube again and call yourself really cheap.
Leonard

Myself, I'm too cheap to buy a tool to lube a cable. I stick the cable through the corner of a plastic bag, wrap a couple of twists of electrical tape around it and put a teaspoon of dry graphite in the bag and then spray enough TriFlow or WD-40 in the bag to carry the graphite down and then clip the bag up to my garage door opener until it runs all the way down and comes out the bottom. (garbage can underneath it!)
CJ

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 11:02:01 pm
CJ,
  If you would put another bag on the low end of the cable you could use lube again and call yourself really cheap.
[/quote]

Good idea Leonard! :)
I wouldn't even have to poke a hole in it. That way I could reuse the bag too!
You'll have to wait till the Reunion next year to get the results though!
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 09:53:42 pm
CJ,
Leonard

;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin