Author Topic: California Market  (Read 6363 times)

CA90290

• Scooter
on: February 05, 2010, 06:29:46 am
Anyone know what the latest is on sales in California?  I last heard March once all the testing is passed.  Will the few (3) initial dealers have parts & knowledge right at the start and will there be a lag on delivery with a waiting list?  Would it be risky to be an early adopter? ???

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 02:07:13 pm
Anyone know what the latest is on sales in California?  I last heard March once all the testing is passed.  Will the few (3) initial dealers have parts & knowledge right at the start and will there be a lag on delivery with a waiting list?  Would it be risky to be an early adopter? ???

Can't answer your questions specifically but these links will be of interest to you:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,6030.msg74320.html#msg74320

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/locator/dealers/usa/states/california

The UCE has a two year warranty and it doesn't seem like anyone is having too much trouble with them.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:09:19 pm by Leonard »
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

CA90290

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 12:05:48 am
Thanks Leonard.  The dealer web page for California is 4 more than I was last told and interestingly only one actually mentions RE on its website (Doug Douglas, San Bernardino).  That sort of tells me they are not arriving soon.  I have seen them at South Bay Triumph (not for sale), but they were way optimistic last December thinking they would be ready to go by now.

I am just hoping when they are ready for sale I won't be looking at a six month waiting list due to manufacturing back logs and high demand (which of course is a good thing for RE).  I feel like I have been waiting 25 years for this particular motorcycle to arrive.  I can't count the times I came close to an old Brit bike only to chicken out and move toward a not quite what I wanted new BMW or Yamaha and then give up.

I am for sure going to pull the trigger on the new Royal Enfield - black G5 I think with a solo seat.  For now I am waiting it out in blog land.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:59:02 am
The good news is that REM has worked a few of the UCE production bugs out.
They have been in production over a year( that model)
It might be worth a 6 month wait.

I like the G5 myself, and still enjoy my  stock AVL Cassic.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 09:55:24 pm
Thanks Leonard.  The dealer web page for California is 4 more than I was last told and interestingly only one actually mentions RE on its website (Doug Douglas, San Bernardino).  That sort of tells me they are not arriving soon.  I have seen them at South Bay Triumph (not for sale), but they were way optimistic last December thinking they would be ready to go by now.

I am just hoping when they are ready for sale I won't be looking at a six month waiting list due to manufacturing back logs and high demand (which of course is a good thing for RE).  I feel like I have been waiting 25 years for this particular motorcycle to arrive.  I can't count the times I came close to an old Brit bike only to chicken out and move toward a not quite what I wanted new BMW or Yamaha and then give up.

I am for sure going to pull the trigger on the new Royal Enfield - black G5 I think with a solo seat.  For now I am waiting it out in blog land.

Black G5, light tan solo seat, matching saddlebags, shorty muffler. How abuot a 20 tooth countershaft sprocket.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 10:44:45 pm
Adopt early! I ordered mine several months before they were in the U.S. and never regretted it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 10:47:42 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

douglasmoto

• Scooter
  • Top 100 dealer winner
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 01:05:25 am
Hello California Enfield fans. I'm Art...I'm one of the owners of Doug Douglas Motorcycles. We are really looking forward to being one of the new California dealers. I just wanted to invite you to join a Facebook page for Royal Enfield. The address is:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=250350953564&ref=ts
It is run by us as well as our main Facebook page at:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Doug-Douglas-Motorcycles/114563445571?ref=ts
We felt is was appropriate to create a page specific to the California market since it's soon to be approved. As we get information on the approval in California and other relevent information we will post it there.
Thanks for your time. We are looking forward to meeting some of you and helping out as you need us.
Art
info@douglasmotorcycles.com
www.douglasmotorcycles.com
Doug Douglas Motorcycles
San Bernardino, Ca
Royal Enfield and Triumph

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 01:48:20 am
Welcome aboard douglasmoto
No matter where you go, there, you are.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 02:32:03 am
Black G5, light tan solo seat, matching saddlebags, shorty muffler. How about a 20 tooth countershaft sprocket.

I don't think you could fit a 20 tooth sprocket in there. I put a 18 in mine and held a 4 speed 19 up to it and think it would hit the boss just to the rear of the sprocket. If they even make a 19 you might have to do some creative grinding to get it in there. The cases are pretty thin though so I'd keep it down to a 18 to be safe.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 03:59:22 pm
Hello California Enfield fans. I'm Art...I'm one of the owners of Doug Douglas Motorcycles. We are really looking forward to being one of the new California dealers. I just wanted to invite you to join a Facebook page for Royal Enfield. The address is:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=250350953564&ref=ts
It is run by us as well as our main Facebook page at:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Doug-Douglas-Motorcycles/114563445571?ref=ts
We felt is was appropriate to create a page specific to the California market since it's soon to be approved. As we get information on the approval in California and other relevent information we will post it there.
Thanks for your time. We are looking forward to meeting some of you and helping out as you need us.
Art
info@douglasmotorcycles.com

Advertising suggestion: Take the demo bikes to all the local indian temples, especially Sikh temples. Singh's from north India have a special affection for the RE. I know that cos I am one of them. Just ride around in the parking lot every sunday around noon. Make sure you have a shorty muffler on. They will recognize the sound. You will generate a lot of interest.

douglasmoto

• Scooter
  • Top 100 dealer winner
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 06:39:15 pm
Thank you for that suggestion. While I don't want to appear to prospective customers as a hawk after a mouse it is important to get the word out and that might be a great way to do it. I will definitely look into that!

Art
Doug Douglas Motorcycles
San Bernardino, Ca
Royal Enfield and Triumph

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 09:15:58 pm
Thank you for that suggestion. While I don't want to appear to prospective customers as a hawk after a mouse it is important to get the word out and that might be a great way to do it. I will definitely look into that!
Art

We've been taking some bikes to all the local swap meets and bike shows.
Cheap exposure, your not going sell any bikes there but you can plant some seeds for some later sales.
No need to feel like a "hawk after a mouse". In this depressed economy you have to do anything you can do to get the word out.  The ones that get the word out will still be in business in a few years. The ones that don't won't be.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 04:08:54 am
We've been taking some bikes to all the local swap meets and bike shows.
Cheap exposure, your not going sell any bikes there but you can plant some seeds for some later sales.
No need to feel like a "hawk after a mouse". In this depressed economy you have to do anything you can do to get the word out.  The ones that get the word out will still be in business in a few years. The ones that don't won't be.
CJ

Lots of people ask me about my Bullet.  When they ask the magic question " where can I get one ? " I smile and hand them a copy of Vince's business card that I cut and pasted along with the web address to our forum printed on it.
I run a half dozen sheets out of my printer for only pennies.

You might consider including something like that with each purchase
No matter where you go, there, you are.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 12:00:09 am
Any news on CARB certification. The dealer (future) in San Francisco sounded assured of March-April. Is that still the case.

kaarigar

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 10:49:33 pm
Any news on CARB certification. The dealer (future) in San Francisco sounded assured of March-April. Is that still the case.
I just talked to Munroe in the SF bay area - I was told sometime in Spring, and was also reminded that Spring ends on June 20th. No, nothing has changed and there are no updates since the first announcement of CA availability - methinks.

As an aside, I just returned from 2 week trip to India. Visited one RE dealer walking distance to where I live and had a close encounter of the third kind with the bikes - including the military green - a real beauty. Isn't this a better experience than talking over the phone to dealers who have no clue when they will have one for sale  ;)

Kaarigar