Author Topic: oil change on Electra  (Read 4075 times)

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 27, 2007, 01:53:25 pm
I have found the easiest way to do an oil change during a service is after having replaced the old oil filter with a fresh pre-soaked one, is to pour in the fresh oil via the exhaust rocker cover. 
The oil will start to fill the timing chest and then overflow into the oil tank itself .
Stop at required level and kick the bike over until fresh oil appears at the rocker.
At this point the whole lubrication system will then be fully charged with fresh oil and ready to run without any part of the main engine not having oil where it should be.

Replace rocker cover (and after a quick check of the wiring loom for chaffing etc. replace the petrol tank).

Ric
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 07:49:35 pm
On my classic engine Sixty-5, I perform the standard oil change process but have the spark plug removed.

Keeping the spark plug grounded, I spin the engine with the electric starter a few times - but never more than about 5 seconds per interval.

After re-installing the spark plug and starting the engine, I let it idle for about 5 minutes.  Shut it down for 10 minutes and recheck the oil level.  Adjust the level to the center of the dipstick range - go ride.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 12:35:27 am
I just drain mine, change filter, fill with oil, then go.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 05:34:12 pm
dew's got it down !  There's always oil in the pump,and on all the moving surfacessss
For the price of 2 quarts- o- oil. Mine never gets dirty, let alone break down in viscosity .
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on