Author Topic: Park Outside?  (Read 3940 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 21, 2007, 04:28:19 am
I'm getting just a little closer to buying a bike and am almost positive it'll be a Bullet Classic. The only problem is that I live in a city in the Northeast U.S. without access to a garage, so the bike would have to live outside, at least for a year or two until we possibly move.

How would a Classic hold up to outdoor living under a weather-resistant cover? What else can you do to protect it?

Jeff

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:04:09 pm
Some of the folks from up north can probably tell you better but I have heard that a liberal coating of WD-40 and a 60W light blub help.

I'm getting just a little closer to buying a bike and am almost positive it'll be a Bullet Classic. The only problem is that I live in a city in the Northeast U.S. without access to a garage, so the bike would have to live outside, at least for a year or two until we possibly move.

How would a Classic hold up to outdoor living under a weather-resistant cover? What else can you do to protect it?

Jeff

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 05:23:27 pm
Mine does the same. A really good wash 'n' clean then plenty of polish seems to be the answer and if you do see any slight rust (especially on the chrome rims) forming etc get on it quick. Don't leave it and say I'll get around to doing that the next day 'cos next day becomes next week and............well you know how it'll end.

Good hunting for your R.E. !!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 07:47:43 pm

Jeff

Jeff,

I highly recommend the Covercraft XN103 for solo bikes. I use two of them during 3 out of 4 seasons. The outer one catches the wear and tear (and UV damage) while the inner one does the final job of protecting the bike. During the winter I throw on my *very* old XN103 as a third outer layer.

The covers fit very well: not so tight you have to fight them, but not so loose that they get caught in the wind.

My experience so far (and several years with Urals) is that they are just as well protected outdoors year-round under this type of system as they would be in a garage or shed that was not climate-controlled.

I also use WD-40 for chrome and frame cleaning.
It collects dust much more quickly than chrome polish and wax, but makes cleaning easier and protects from rust.

Matt

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 08:10:14 pm
Thanks for the advice so far, and for the specific cover recommendation. I will definitely look into it.

I wonder, is there anything in the way of more permanent treatments?

Jeff

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 01:30:21 am
I remember when I was growing up all the truck drivers around here would paint all their chrome with "tire black" paint. Then just take it off with diesel fuel in the spring.  I think a hard wax coat would probably do just as well on a stationary bike. I agree with Thumper about storing without a garage, as long as it's covered it should be okay.