Author Topic: C5 Vs G5  (Read 20180 times)

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 05:14:29 am
The G5 is probably an end of line product.
Has RE said they plan to continue making them.

I fell in love with the twin spark.
The seat is so comfortable. The riding position is such a pleasure.
It looks so cool.
The C5 in comparo is Ugly.
Im sorry but a 1950s design is just not appealing to me.

But they didn't have it with a UCE 500 engine in it. In the end HP wins over looks and I paid for the C5.
All you guys buying a bike just for the kicker is absurd. Just ask your dealers to import a crate full of side covers and kickers from India.

If you wanted the UCE engine then the only choice in India is the C5.
Initially we all thought that the 18" wheels would be a huge improvement on the handling.
In fact if you do the Trail and have a rough look at the bikes geometry it looks more like a RD than a Bullet. I wont be surprised if the numbers match to the MM.

I guess it all depends on the kind of roads you plan to drive on.
If its a straight road then a 19" conversion makes sense.
If its a twisty road. Then your going to prefer the flick-ablity of the 18" setup.
I dont see the change making any major changes to the setup of the bike.
Your probably going to have more change from the gyroscopic forces than the change in Trail.

The 18" wheels are a blast to ride in the hills.
The bike likes to be thrown around.

Finding rubber in 19" is next to impossible here. You really dont have many choices.

Meet an old Time Physics Professor. RD owners, Bullet owner since before I was born. Owned nearly every model made by RE.. Now plans on buying the C5.
He came to me to discuss his RD build.

He passed a very interesting comment.
The bullets always felt like the swing arm was on a hinge.
I felt like he had nailed the problem I was having on the head.

He is on the faculty of some of the countries top Engineer collages.
And had some interesting ideas to sort out the handling.

In short pick the bike based on the type of roads you plan to use.
Ps: A popular mod Ive seen locally is a 15" rear and a 19" front.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 02:31:01 pm
The swing arm is on rubber mounts around the pivot shaft.
It was designed that way a long time ago for comfort purposes.
There is some flex in it there.

Racers often use a bronze bushing replacement for it.
However, the rubber mountings are a bitch to get out, and most resort to burning it out with a torch, and then chiseling out the metal rings.

If you put in bronze bushings, then install a zirk fitting for a grease gun, so you can grease them. It will work fine, and no flex in the mounts anymore.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 07:03:42 pm
Since the rear wheel is spun by the engine, a smaller sprocket, in theory should spin faster. Does that increase acceleration , and add more stress to the engine.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 08:52:56 pm
No a smaller sprocket reduces acceleration but increases top speed, while keeping top-end stress the same or higher on the engine and increasing stress at lower speeds.

Like a smaller rear sprocket at a particular motorcycle gear increases stress, but also increases speed, it lowers acceleration.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 12:09:07 am
Seems counter-intutive.

But I m no gear-head.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:00:21 am by 1 Thump »

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 07:28:43 am
You're forgetting everything about acceleration and gearing.

A smaller sprocket will allow you to go at a higher speed at lower revs, but the engine will have to work just as hard or harder.  Acceleration will decrease based on engine power.

Try accelerating a bicycle to 25mph using your leg power (a fixed amount of HP and Torque) going through the gears sequentially.  Now try to accelerate to 25mph using only gears 2, 4, and 6.  Your acceleration (rate of increasing speed) will be slower due to the limitation of your biological hp and torque (power) factor.

In an engine with infinite power, yes a smaller sprocket will increase acceleration.  When you hit a fixed wall in the total equation, something is compromised.

If what you said was absolutely true, we all would be running 6 tooth front sprockets and 6 tooth rear sprockets, because it would be faster, instead of 18t front and 45t rear.  We need the gearing to compensate for power losses, both at certain RPMs and totally as a whole on the peak ranges.  :)  As you said, you're not a gear-head.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 11:59:06 pm
I took one look at the C5 and forgot there were any other motorcycles, I bought it and I've been delighted with it ever since.  ;D Ace is right about the wheels, I will be going to a 19" front soon.

I imagine it will require new rims and tires . Will it also require adjustment in the forks, and fenders.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 02:39:24 am
From what I understand the 19" wheel is a pretty easy swap.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 07:48:14 am
could somebody who has done the swap define easy ?
My take is it will need
A complete new rim, spokes, hub, rotor, mudgurad.
Because you cant use the 18" hub with a 19" rim the number of spokes are different.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 02:52:16 pm
could somebody who has done the swap define easy ?
My take is it will need
A complete new rim, spokes, hub, rotor, mudgurad.
Because you cant use the 18" hub with a 19" rim the number of spokes are different.

The number of spokes are the same for the 18" and 19" wheels for the Bullet.
Both have 40 spokes.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 04:10:00 pm
I build a lot of wheels for race bikes. If you handed me a C5 wheel and said make it a 19 it would be just under $300. This is without a tire.The hardest part for you is to find someone locally to do this.

Monty

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 04:25:39 pm
Sounds like a lot of you don't like the new C5.  For me it is a thing of beauty, but then I like the retro look.  Besides the Kick start, why is it that the C5 is not well received

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 05:32:06 pm
Sounds like a lot of you don't like the new C5.  For me it is a thing of beauty, but then I like the retro look.  Besides the Kick start, why is it that the C5 is not well received

I think it is a beautiful looking motorcycle too.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 07:54:16 pm

No, quite the contrary.  I think the C5 is very well liked by most around here.  There are a few who don't care for the styling, but I think the general consensus is that RE have done a fantastic job and it is a realy beauty!

Eamon
Eamon

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 09:16:04 pm
Bullets produced in Reddich after 1955 had 17 inch wheels front and rear. Go figure?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.