Author Topic: C5 Vs G5  (Read 20207 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 23, 2010, 11:29:05 pm
Is it true that the two models have different tire sizes and sprockets, and as aresult perform differently on the road ?

Is there anything else that the bikes do not share , performance wise, and which bike performs better ( pickup, top speed, mileage etc ).

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 12:14:12 am
The G5 has a 17 tooth gearbox sprocket and 19" tires.
The C5 has an 18 tooth sprocket and 18" tires.

I have ridden both and thought the C5 handled a bit more twitchy as in the steering was a bit more responsive (not a bad thing). I ended up buying the G5 but not because of the handling.
Both bikes handle exceptionally and have their strong and weak points. Either one is a good choice in motorcycles.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:12:38 am
Best of both worlds with the G5 - UCE engine and a kickstarter.  Do that one.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 05:24:29 am
I debated long and hard before buying the G5. Reason for that choice ? Simple,  one had a kick start the other didn't.

Cheers  :)

heindlengineering

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 01:49:33 pm
We see a lot of customers look at the C5 and then buy the G5.  Personally, I like the looks of the G5 better.  I think that the ride is similar.
Heindl Engineering, LLC
Royal Enfield Dealer, Eaton, OH
http://www.heindlengineering.com/RE/index.htm
(937) 787-3686
sales@heindlengineering.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 02:21:33 pm
I think that they need to re-style the side cover area on the G5.
It's the same as the Electra X, and I have never liked those chrome(or even black) "sausage boxes" nor the shape of the side covers.

I realize that they are trying to get more use out of the old Electra X body parts, but I consider it a big styling flaw which doesn't need to be on the new models.
I think they could have done alot  better than that to begin with on the Electra X, and they certainly shouldn't have carried it forward onto  the G5.

There are alot of different ways to style that area that could look alot cooler.

On the C5, I think the 18" wheels were a mistake, and they need to return that to 19" wheels, or at least a 19" wheel on the front.
It was common back in the old days to use a 19" front and 18" rear.
My Ducati 750 bevelhead twins had 19" front and 18" rear, and had a leading-axle fork too, and it handled like it was on rails.
There are enough comments about the C5 feeling "light and twitchy" at higher speeds that the added rotational stability of a 19" wheel would make sense, too.
And the 19" front wheel looks very good on that modified C5 that ScooterBob did.
Other than that, the C5 looks just about perfect for 50s styling, especially with the aftermarket upswept muffler on it.

Overall, both models are very close to being "just right" but could use a little "tweaking" to get them perfect. Not much needed, but a little.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 02:22:22 pm
I took one look at the C5 and forgot there were any other motorcycles, I bought it and I've been delighted with it ever since.  ;D Ace is right about the wheels, I will be going to a 19" front soon.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:32:09 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 05:25:55 pm
+1 on what ace and r80rt said.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 06:14:10 pm
On the C5, I think the 18" wheels were a mistake, and they need to return that to 19" wheels, or at least a 19" wheel on the front.
It was common back in the old days to use a 19" front and 18" rear.
My Ducati 750 bevelhead twins had 19" front and 18" rear, and had a leading-axle fork too, and it handled like it was on rails.
There are enough comments about the C5 feeling "light and twitchy" at higher speeds that the added rotational stability of a 19" wheel would make sense, too.
And the 19" front wheel looks very good on that modified C5 that ScooterBob did.

I have an AVL Electra 2009. Will it help to put 19inch wheel no teh front. How about the gear sprocket.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 06:19:19 pm
I have an AVL Electra 2009. Will it help to put 19inch wheel no teh front. How about the gear sprocket.

The Electra X models all have 19" wheels on them as standard equipment.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 07:49:52 pm
I like the idea of a 18" rear and 19" front, that will allow me to run tires I'm familliar with. A lot of the bikes I've had were set up that way. I'm positive a 19" front will get rid of most if not all ot the light twitchyness.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 08:23:41 pm
I like the idea of a 18" rear and 19" front, that will allow me to run tires I'm familliar with. A lot of the bikes I've had were set up that way. I'm positive a 19" front will get rid of most if not all ot the light twitchyness.

A larger diameter front wheel/tire will increase trail geometry and improve straight-line stability.
And the larger diameter front wheel improves the gyroscopic stabilization that the wheels provide on a motorcycle
Overall stability should improve.
There probably will be a bit more effort required to get it to turn into a corner.
This is a trade-off, that's probably worth it in this case.

To  check your trail measurement, put the bike on level ground, off the centerstand(have somebody hold it upright),  take a yardstick or tape measure and use it to extend the center axis of the steering head all the way to the ground, on the same angle the fork legs are on, and mark that spot on the ground.  That mark will be forward of the tire contact patch.
Then, drop a plumb line from the center of the axle, and mark that spot on the ground, and  it should be in the center of your tire contact patch.
The measurement between those two marks is your trail measurement
Being that the C5 has a leading-axle fork, the axle will be forward of the bottom of the fork leg, so it will vary from the diagram below. No matter, you just drop the line from wherever the axle is located, and with the C5 it will be on the leading axle flange.

I'd be interested to know what the trail measurement of the C5 is, if you want to measure it for us.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:56:33 pm by ace.cafe »

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 08:56:16 pm
Well, I'm home alone so I propped the bike up straight and measured down the fork leg with a yard stick, I had to use a level for a plumb bob but that should work shouldn't it?
 I measured 3 times and came up with a measurement of 4 5/8" when I have help I'll try again.

OK I just saw I should have measured from the steering head, I'' try it again when my lovely assistant comes home.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:06:47 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 08:59:08 pm
Well, I'm home alone so I propped the bike up straight and measured down the fork leg with a yard stick, I had to use a level for a plumb bob but that should work shouldn't it?
 I measured 3 times and came up with a measurement of 4 5/8" when I have help I'll try again.

Yes, that should be close enough.
4-5/8" trail is plenty of trail, and there should be no problem with the stability of that bike.
But, maybe it likes a little more. Sometimes they are funny like that.

If you wanna see how much a 19" wheel will change it, then roll the front wheel up on a half-inch thick board, and measure it again. That will simulate the larger wheel on there.

Please NOTE:
I changed my  post to show that you use the steering head axis for the measurement, and not the fork leg. I made a mistake in my first writing, and went back and changed it. I didn't account for the offset, when I stated to use the fork leg.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:03:22 pm by ace.cafe »

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 09:11:12 pm
There isn't a stability problem with my bike, I'm really more interested in the 19" for tire selection.  But Scooter Bob says it is a good handling improvement so that's just icing on the cake for me.
Iron Butt Association