Author Topic: C5 Vs G5  (Read 20213 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 12:24:16 am
I love my C5, and I don't care about a kicker, wouldn't use it if it were there.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 01:20:28 am
The only reason to put a kicker on these is so you can look cool kickstarting them.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 01:32:12 am
Yeah, I kick started motorcycles for 40 years because I had no choice, I like the little magic button  ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: February 09, 2010, 04:46:31 am
Nearly every single UCE owner I know dumps the kick starter.
I did. It saves you over 1 KG in dead weight.

Id give anything to swap out the side cover for one without a kicker hole.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 10:59:08 pm
Nearly every single UCE owner I know dumps the kick starter.
I did. It saves you over 1 KG in dead weight.

Id give anything to swap out the side cover for one without a kicker hole.

It's probably just me, but on a bike like the enfield what difference is a kg going to make overall, I certainly won't be getting rid of the manual leg any time soon.

Cheers   :)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 11:33:54 pm
I dunno, maybe it's just my warped mind?
But to me, the starter motor and starter solenoid and extra gears and bigger battery and higher capacity charging system are the "dead weight".
I think all that stuff makes a measly little kickstart lever seem quite lightweight in comparison.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 10:29:11 am
The only reason to put a kicker on these is so you can look cool kickstarting them.

But very uncool if you fail to start them! I've only tried a couple of times, in the privacy of my drive, and no go. It's winter though; I'll have another go later in the year.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 09:52:57 pm
You're forgetting everything about acceleration and gearing.

A smaller sprocket will allow you to go at a higher speed at lower revs, but the engine will have to work just as hard or harder.  Acceleration will decrease based on engine power.

Try accelerating a bicycle to 25mph using your leg power (a fixed amount of HP and Torque) going through the gears sequentially.  Now try to accelerate to 25mph using only gears 2, 4, and 6.  Your acceleration (rate of increasing speed) will be slower due to the limitation of your biological hp and torque (power) factor.

In an engine with infinite power, yes a smaller sprocket will increase acceleration.  When you hit a fixed wall in the total equation, something is compromised.

If what you said was absolutely true, we all would be running 6 tooth front sprockets and 6 tooth rear sprockets, because it would be faster, instead of 18t front and 45t rear.  We need the gearing to compensate for power losses, both at certain RPMs and totally as a whole on the peak ranges.  :)  As you said, you're not a gear-head.

I read up on gears after this exchange. So if I understand it correctly, if the fifth gear is made smaller, maybe smaller than the countershaft sprocket, like an overdrive gear, thenit is theoretically possible to retain the benefits of acceleration at lower speeds, and a higher cruising speed in 5th gear. Now why has none thought about doing this modification.

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: February 15, 2010, 12:09:03 am
You have to maintain the proper gear ratio spacing between gears or the ridability will suffer. And making a set of gears is no quick easy thing.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: February 15, 2010, 04:48:20 pm
True, but u r only changing the 5th gear. The larger countershaft sprockets are commonly used. I think since the bike is primarily made for the indian market, wher eu really cant speed, and is used to haul stuff, it makes sense to emphasise low gear riding.

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: February 15, 2010, 05:31:21 pm
No Doubt they are geared for India. I think one more tooth on the front sprocket is a good Idea for many people in this country. One thing I forgot is these transmissions use a 1-1 fifth gear. Since is dosn't run through the layshaft there is no way to change fifth gear. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 06:22:16 pm
I hope Ace is reading this.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 06:59:49 pm
I'm reading this now.

I'm afraid that the gearing isn't going to be affecting your cruising speeds as you seem to want.

A taller final drive ratio will help you cruise at a lower rpm than before, but it's still putting out the same hp to make that speed, so you just have a wider throttle position.

Gears aren't magic. They can't make your bike cruise faster. They just change the rpm it cruises at. It still has to make the same hp, has the same(or more) load on the engine, and the engine is limited by a percentage of its total output for cruising.
If we could all make our bikes go faster by a simple gear ratio change, then we'd all be doing 200mph
There's more to it than that.
It might help a little bit with some reduced friction, but it's only minor.

So let's get down to brass tacks.
How fast do you want to cruise on this bike?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:00:31 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: February 15, 2010, 09:08:01 pm
65 mph will put a big smile on my face. I have put a short exhaust. A 30 mm carb, 20 tooth sprocket and a more open air filter (undetermined yet) are next on the list.

In theroy: The Electra can go to 65 mph easily, just not recommended for cruising at the speed because of the added stress on the engine. However, with a larger gear ratio, same (not more) speed can be achieved with less stress on the engine. Thats why they have these larger sprockets to begin with. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:28:15 pm by 1 Thump »

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #44 on: February 15, 2010, 09:20:35 pm
I recently had a guy come up to me as I was getting ready to fire up my bike.  He said "Dude, you should get a 3 speed transmission - they're fast!"  I started to explain that gearing determines what rpm you'll be at for a given speed, but can't change your speed unless you're geared badly to begin with.  You need more power and/or less drag to go faster  He responded by starting to lecture me about his friend with a 3 speed whose bike was now "wicked fast" and that "torque is where speed comes from."  He said my 5 speed was adequate, but a 3 speed would make it scream.   ::)  I put on my goggles as he kept talking, said "nice to meet you", and rode away.  It seemed like a conversation that was going to go nowhere...   ::)

Eamon
Eamon