Author Topic: > P A N I C <  (Read 2827 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 22, 2010, 04:40:59 pm
I'm reading this post over in Yahoo Groups;
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bulletech/message/26591

I sort of suspected all this, but I kind of assumed I'd be good to go for at least 10 years. 
This bit about "why don't people like the AVL?" I never really heard of.  Do people NOT like the AVL?  Who are "people", anyway?

I like the AVL, and to tell the truth -I'm not really interested in a UCE.   What do you guys think;  Are we going to be stuck with rare collector's items that we can't get parts for sooner than later?
Run what ya brung

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 04:47:07 pm
Except for the aluminum alloy barrel, whats the difference? It's still a one-lung, dry-sump, air-cooled, non-unit engine in the same, (except Electra) frame with slightly higher compression.

Whats the big deal?

I didn't like the UCE when first viewed...but it's growing on me. I'm keeping an open mind.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 05:16:13 pm
The factory is required to provide spares for at least 7 years after discontinuing a model.

There will be spares.
They might be hard to get, and take a long time to come from India, but they will be available for a while.
CMW is very good at stocking spares, and they will have alot of spares on hand. Maybe not everything, but they'll have a good stock.

The Iron Bullet is in the same boat now, except that it was discontinued before the AVL will be.

Also, remember that you can also put an Iron Barrel engine into that frame, if you get desperate enough. The tranny is the same.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

GeorgeE

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 07:53:50 pm
I can't access Yahoo groups but I get your drift. Maybe you should fan the flames of discontent then all the scaredy cats will ditch their AVLs cheap. Then you can have cheap complete bikes as spares.
I like my Electra well enough except for the electric start gremlins.. It's not as pretty a motor as the original and in fact I like the UCE a little better but it's bought and paid for and I've got some other toys to play with so I'm not paarticularly worried that I will wear it out anytime soon.
47 G
5? Bullet
58 Trailblazer
59Constellation
61 Hornet
64 500 Twin
64 Interceptor
2007 Electra

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 08:55:38 pm
These bikes were wildly popular in the UK and in India, as they were a quantum light year leap of an improvement over the Iron Barrel (Steel rod!. Gear rotor oil pump!!) so there will be parts and support for them for a LONG time. I tend to hoard parts for whatever I plan to keep LONG term .... I have an AVL bike, so I'm getting little goodies hither and yon for it ..... there is a good supply ON the shelf - and more will be ordered in as those disappear for quite some time.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

blueberry

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 12:22:20 am
I love my AVL, and I think parts will be available for a long time. The RE is a basic mode of transportation for many people and will continue  to be for a long time.
Ride Safe, Blueberry
2008 Electra
1985 Honda 250 Rebel
1970 Honda SL90

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 01:46:26 am
I like my AVL too, and I like it better with the new forged piston, 20 over, and the new crank. I hope this crank bearing lasts longer that 12K miles.

But I still really like it. It's even better with the new stuff.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 02:18:04 am
Well, it's not my only bike, but I've ended up riding it the most.  I'm thinking someone will probably start making re-pop parts to pick up any slack- eventually.  Indian, Harley, and BMW that's going on.  I kind of wondered how many AVL's are out there.  Around here, I'm the only one in town with ANY -wait- I have a friend with an Intercepter he nver rides.  So that makes TWO Royal Enfields in town.

I'd love to accumulate all the internals for a new engine, but I am now B-R-O-K-E.  To quote a gospel song, "The things I used to do, I don't do no more-".

I guess we'll see what happens...
Run what ya brung

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 03:41:01 am
I like my AVL too, and I like it better with the new forged piston, 20 over, and the new crank. I hope this crank bearing lasts longer that 12K miles.

But I still really like it. It's even better with the new stuff.
Wait, crank bearing? lasted only 12k miles?  What about the rod or piston end bearings?
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 04:20:48 pm
Wait, crank bearing? lasted only 12k miles?  What about the rod or piston end bearings?
All that was good, Geirskogul. My dealer said that it was just a fluke due to a sorry bearing. He couldn't even think of a way to make one go bad like it did.Not all the AVL crank bearings are bad, mine just lasted long enough to be out of warranty, bummer. The garbage from the bearing got flung onto the piston skirts rendering that piston kaput. The forged piston from CMW is nice, lighter weight. Gets it's revs quicker. In a way I'm glad it went out.

My bike now is quieter than it's ever been since new, meaning that the bearing was probably on it's way out from the get-go. Such is life, it lasted through the warranty so it did it's job.  Another bummer. It has more compression now than the original ever had, making kicking through compression to start harder on an older guy.  :P