Author Topic: Wow, came home and house had been robbed  (Read 5130 times)

rick505

• Bulleteer
on: January 22, 2010, 12:57:36 am
Well, started off bad at work (I do computer support work) and had to stick around a little late.  Came home through the garage as I always do and go out the front door to see if anything was left like UPS, mail packages, flyers from anyone looking for work, etc.  Hey, what's this, door unlocked.  Dang, I must be getting old and forgotten to lock it last time.  Not like me but then again.....  Turned around, Oh CRAP!!  I see my TV gone from the stand.  Nothing fancy but a 37" older LCD flat panel.  I happened to look around,...nope nothing else I see gone.  The DVD and PVR sitting right below on the stand untouched.  I saw the bedroom closet light on so looked in there.  Camcorder and digital camera untouched.  Even had my motorcycle jackets and helmet still on the hook inside the door,  I did notice the dresser drawers opened and the door and drawer on the night stands had been opened.  Computer in  the bedroom (one i'm using right now) and second one in the front bedroom/office both still there. 

I decided to take a moment and look around and saw nothing else touched.  To gather my thoughts, I went outside to toss a bag of kitchen trash and when I went around the house I saw the screen had been removed and a spare bedroom window slid open.  Hey thanks for leaving it open int eh winter when you were done!!  OK, just my sick humor I guess.  I check in that room when I went back inside as I rarely ever go in as it's used for storage and is crammed full of stuff.  They even had to crawl over two old computers stored there.

Then I wondered, had I not latched the windows???  Not sure....I then decided to walk around inside and make sure everything WAS latched...noticed both living room slider windows were not latched.  HMMMM, had the thieves unlatched them anticipating a return visit to clean me out??  I quickly locked them and called in to work to take tomorrow off.  Since I live alone, if they return I want to be ready.

I wonder if they were looking for guns or quick cash and grabbed the TV on the way out the door??  To bring this around to Motorcycles, I did check the garage and my '08 is sitting on her center stand still plugged in to her trickle charger happily as when I left her on Monday.

So, a little freaked out but more angry at myself for apparently leaving a freakin' window unlocked.  I walked around outside and can see some footprints where apparently they walked around. 

Oh well, thanks for letting me vent a bit.

Lock up and be happy.

Rick

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:10:24 am
Sorry to hear that Rick505, makes me want to retreat even further back into the N.C.mountains. We're so remote now even the Presbyterians are handling snakes.
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:16:17 am
It's a sickening feeling isn't it? The little bastard that robbed my house will be out of prison in 14 years, I smile every time I think about it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 01:35:56 am
Man - There ain't NOTHIN' worse than a thief! I'd have taken the day off, left the windows unlatched and sat in a dark corner with the .45 Colt and three full mags on my lap ... bastages! You have my sympathy - I'm certainly glad that you didn't get jacked any worse.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 01:39:54 am
Rick, I hate it all!
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 01:41:17 am
That sucks, at least they only got the TV.

Last summer we had a rash of this happening around town.  I had a flip house that I am trying to sell robbed.. They climbed in through an open kitchen window that is about 5 feet off the ground.  Must has been pretty athletic to boost up through,  The house was empty so they only got away with a small block sander I had used to refinish the floors, hardly worth the effort.  They caught the kids doing  the break ins and all has been quiet since.  

I have 2 dogs that bark a lot..  I think that helps..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 02:02:38 am
My sympathies, Rick.

I've been robbed several times.

Now I keep a 140 pound male Rottweiler downstairs, and a fully loaded 8-round semi-auto Benelli 12-gauge shotgun with a tactical light on it, next to my bed.

I wouldn't give any burglars good odds on the next attempt.

Rottweiler shown below, wearing his 30" collar.
He's always hungry, and he doesn't like other people invading his house.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 02:15:48 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:08:36 am
A crying shame, Br. Rick... it could've been worse... glad you're alright... keep your powder dry!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 02:56:21 am
man, that sucks.. only had that happen once ......while I was building my house..  they used my sledge hammer to beat out the patio doors.. I kinda knew who did it , but couldn't prove it.. they stole my baseball car collection from the 50's and my 35 mm camera... I really felt , well U know.. violated

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 12:48:16 pm
  My ex-wife and I had that happen years ago.  Little hoodlum, delinquents made off with about everything worth value.  But didn't touch the gun cabinet, was locked but could have been smashed open with a little effort (wooden).  But maybe they knew if you stole guns in a robbery it was a federal crime so stayed clear.

The local yocal deputies (B. Fife comes to mind) hadn't a clue although there was an evidence trail a mile long and wide to follow. 

Insurance paid the loss..but you never quite get the feeling you are secure in your own home agian.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

rick505

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 01:03:09 pm
Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate your comments.  I've had a chance to look around and I swear absolutely nothing was touched other than the TV.  I did see where the dresser drawers and night stand had been opened but I keep no valuables, cash or guns there.  I'm home today after finding the Living room windows unlocked.  Still makes me think they may attempt a second round.  If I see a big moving truck or U-Haul back in to the driveway then I'll know..........

Thanks again for all the responses.  Reminds me I'm not alone.

Rick

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 03:41:16 pm
Hey,Rick.Major attention getter,one likes to think home is sacred.But only to homeowner,unfortunately.May the perp die screaming and spewing blood with his mother watching.

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 03:48:41 pm
In my state it is legal to shoot to kill when an intruder enters or is found in your premises unlawfully.Would I? Well....?
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 04:40:33 pm
I was 2nd ammendment-neutral until 6 months after purchasing my home when I was hit. I'm very pro now. House is now alarmed, with exterior motions all around, two dogs and a piece always within easy reach.

The little fu**-hole that hit me was, at the time, (1994), an HIV-positive heroin addict who hit a number of people in the community. So hopefully, he's dead and worm food by now. ;D

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 06:38:45 pm
  I'm 56 years old now, but on my 22nd birthday at about 11:00 pm I had a looney smash his way into my rented house. By that time I'd been shooting and handloading ammo for years since my Dad trained me how to do both safely and well. I grabbed my .357 Magnum Dan Wesson revolver and held the dude until the police came. They knew this scoflaw by name and hauled his butt away.

Never want to come that close to killing somebody again, but, on the other hand, noone is going to smash his way into my house while I'm home and not regret it.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii