Author Topic: Slight oil weep  (Read 3214 times)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
on: January 20, 2010, 10:06:33 pm
I've just arrived at work and noticed a slight oil leak at the rear of the cylinder. It appears to have its origins under the body of the starter motor, bit hard to do anything about it now, just wondering if anyone has experienced similar. (looking for a quick fix in other words) My nearest dealer is about 800 km away.

Cheers   :)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:30:03 am
I've just arrived at work and noticed a slight oil leak at the rear of the cylinder. It appears to have its origins under the body of the starter motor, bit hard to do anything about it now, just wondering if anyone has experienced similar. (looking for a quick fix in other words) My nearest dealer is about 800 km away.

Cheers   :)

Take the two starter fixing bolts out of the back and seal them - they are open to the crankcase. A drop of silicone will do - or use Loc-Tite thread sealer.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:56:34 am
Scooter Bob, thanks for the reply, I can't seem to identify the two bolts your refering to  could you give me some indication as to accessing them. Sory to be a pain in the behind

Cheers

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 03:03:17 am
Under the chrome cover on the right side of the starter motor.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 10:17:29 pm
Under the chrome cover on the right side of the starter motor.

D'OH!! I forgot about that chrome ding-dong on there ...... what he said ....  ::)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 12:03:06 am
Thanks for the info Fellas, is this a common occurrence with the UCE engine?

Cheers  :)

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:20:42 am
Haven't had it, but after Scooter Bob's suggestion, I'm going to take a look at those bolts.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 01:30:59 am
Thanks for the info Fellas, is this a common occurrence with the UCE engine?

It is if it's been apart (as for the gearbox upgrade ...) and the bolts weren't slathered with sealer upon re-installation. The Factory globs 'em up pretty darn good - they usually don't leak.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 03:07:44 am
Mine has a build date of July '09, I don't think it was affected by the rebuild,  some of the other earlier ones which went to the UK and US were I believe.

Cheers

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 06:35:16 am
There are actually 4 on the little cover.

Two under the plastic ding dong.

To pop the cover off you just need to get the 4 on the cover
After you pop the little ali cover off.
Clean the surfaces with some carb cleaner on a rag.
Then apply some fresh paste and put it back on.
If you see any scratches you will need to surface it flat on a sheet of emery.

Mine never leaked but I opened it up anyway just to see what was under the cover  ;)
They dont even use gaskets any more on these parts and its still leak free found that amazing.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:49:41 am by chinoy »

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 11:36:55 pm
Hi raising this again, I'm dealing with a stripped sump drain at the moment, so I thought I'd have a go at the oil weep, I removed the 4 allen key screws on the chrome housing, but it doesn't seem to want to budge. Is there something else to come off, or is a bit of  GENTLE PERSUASION required eg wooden mallet. To me it looked like the casing is joined to the starter housing. I've got a workshop manual but it doesn't tell me much.

BTW it has been suggested that rather than go to the trouble of trying a helicoil in the sump, just clean up the sump plug, loctite it back into the remaining threads and use the filter drain to drain the oil. My nearest dealer is 800 km away, so any thoughts will be appreciated.