Author Topic: Honest answers only Please. Top Speed done on the UCE  (Read 19950 times)

chinoy

• Bulleteer
on: January 20, 2010, 07:05:08 am
How fast have you gone on your C5/G5 and if you could add the following info.

a. Speed in Kmph /mph
b. Road surface best you can describe it.
c. How did the bike feel.

My instability at speed (100 Kmph) is starting to bug me.
Only thing left to try is new Tyres.

At the rev limit and some roughf number crunching the UCE should be doing 150 Kmph at its rev limiter.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:10:35 am by chinoy »

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:21:41 am
I suffered instability with my lean burn if I exceeded an indicated 65mph.
Replacing the part worn rear tyre immediately solved the problem; but only after initially trying wheel balancing, headstock adjustment, wheel alignment, wheel bearings and checking for play in the forks, fork clamps, wheel spindle nuts and swinging arm bushes.

From memory I changed from the OEM Avon RoadRider to a Dunlop TT100.

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:45:46 am
85 mph here on my C5, road surface was flat and good (motorway), no tailwind.

Engine felt fine revving that high, bike felt unstable though and would wobble without provocation.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:54:51 pm
Around 85 MPH on my G5 passing a truck on a 2 lane blacktop.
Bike felt fine even though 85 is way past the bikes design envelope.
Too short and too light to be a uber high speed bike. If you want to go fast there are better bikes to do it on.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 01:29:07 pm
Around 85 MPH on my G5 passing a truck on a 2 lane blacktop.
Bike felt fine even though 85 is way past the bikes design envelope.
Too short and too light to be a uber high speed bike. If you want to go fast there are better bikes to do it on.
CJ

Im sorry to say this but this kind of response does miff me a bit.
Its a 500cc bike for crying out.
I want to do 100 Kmph. Without feeling like the bike is going to throw me.
Is that being un-resonable ?

Its not like Im asking to do even 65 MPH. Or 70 or 80 or 90 or 100.
60 MPH and Id be happy.
Is that really too much to ask for.
Does it really warrant a wise crack like there are better bikes to do it on ?

What are you implying ? 60 MPH too fast ? or that I dont know there are other bikes out there ?
Ok sorry Im stupid.
Please tell me what speed I should ride the bike at. Ill stick to that number.

The reason for this post is to see if its just me or this bike. Or do others feel it too.
If everybody says it cant do 60MPH. Then thats cool with me.

Did take it to the dealer. They test rode it and said its fine.
SO that door is closed for now.

Did own a Thunderbird AVL 350 which would do 135 Kmph and be rock steady.
The only problem was geting on the gas while in a corner would lift the front wheel / make it light but in a straight line it was stable.

My first Bullet a 1965 350 STD bullet was so steady at 100 Kmph.
That I could carry a pillow and lie on the bike. We would do stuff like stand on the seat and it would keep its line. Even over pot holes. (I was 14 when I had it).
Actually my dad was in the armed forces. And ever station he would command Id pick up one of the bullets from the MT section and ride it. Every single STD 350 was the same. Rock stable at 100 Kmph. In fact it took a lot of effort to get it to change its line.

What changed in the UCE.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 01:55:47 pm

What changed in the UCE.

The whole frame and suspension are different.
Most of the comments that I've heard from people seemed to be positive about better handling.

I think you'll have to go to the basics, like making sure that the head bearing is adjusted and working right, and that the forks are straight and clamped into the fork clamp evenly, and there is the same amount of damping fluid in each leg, and that the bearings are not wobbling, and stuff like that. Just set it up from scratch.

Then look at the rear end, and make sure that the wheel is aligned properly in the swing-arm. It is common that the chain adjusting plates need to have different positions on the plate notches, to get the rear wheel aligned with the front wheel.
Check your rear wheel bearing for play also.
And check your spokes and wheels for run-out. Maybe they aren't true.

If that doesn't do it, try a lower adjustment on the rear shocks, so the bike  sits lower in the back, and changes the trail geometry. That usually improves straight-line stability. You might even try a shorter set of rear shocks, if you can find some to try out.

I know that this is all very basic stuff, but sometimes you have to go back to a "zero starting poiint", and work it out from there.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:59:59 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 08:55:13 pm
Im sorry to say this but this kind of response does miff me a bit.
Its a 500cc bike for crying out.
I want to do 100 Kmph. Without feeling like the bike is going to throw me.

60 MPH and Id be happy.
Is that really too much to ask for.
Does it really warrant a wise crack like there are better bikes to do it on ?

What are you implying ? 60 MPH too fast ? or that I dont know there are other bikes out there ?
Ok sorry Im stupid.

The reason for this post is to see if its just me or this bike. Or do others feel it too.

Did take it to the dealer. They test rode it and said its fine.
SO that door is closed for now.

Did own a Thunderbird AVL 350 which would do 135 Kmph and be rock steady.
The only problem was geting on the gas while in a corner would lift the front wheel / make it light but in a straight line it was stable.

My first Bullet a 1965 350 STD bullet was so steady at 100 Kmph.
That I could carry a pillow and lie on the bike. We would do stuff like stand on the seat and it would keep its line. Even over pot holes. (I was 14 when I had it).
Actually my dad was in the armed forces. And ever station he would command Id pick up one of the bullets from the MT section and ride it. Every single STD 350 was the same. Rock stable at 100 Kmph. In fact it took a lot of effort to get it to change its line.

What changed in the UCE.

What's the matter? Too much coffee or are your panties all wadded up?

You asked how fast I had my bike and I told you. I tried to get across that the experience was not what I'd like do all the time on that little 500cc bike and all I said was there were better bikes for the job.

Nothing for you to start foaming at the mouth over.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 10:02:09 pm
It seems happiest at about 60mph.   I feel that the bike is a bit on the light side for over 70mph sustained cruising, passing semi's and wind can affect the handling to a degree, but ridden as it was designed to be ridden, that is comfortable highway (60) speeds, not a problem.

Cheers  :)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 10:29:11 pm
I ride my C5  60-65 mph all the time, I have ridden at 75mph for a few miles on the freeway. Most of my riding is on smooth two lane blacktop. handles like a dream at 60, it's a little light and twitchy at 75. I bought it for pleasure not speed, I got no complaints.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 10:39:59 pm
I ride my C5  60-65 mph all the time, I have ridden at 75mph for a few miles on the freeway. Most of my riding is on smooth two lane blacktop. handles like a dream at 60, it's a little light and twitchy at 75. I bought it for pleasure not speed, I got no complaints.

Well said, that's what I was alluding to, been there done that with the speed machines,all i'm after now is the pure pleasure of riding a simple and uncomplicated machine and it does the job very well.

Cheers  :)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 03:09:50 am
......  I want to do 100 Kmph. Without feeling like the bike is going to throw me.

60 MPH and Id be happy.

Ron Ji:

For me G5 is at its best at 55 - 60 mph on the speedo (that is actually 50 to 55 mph because its speedo is off as I have posted in another thread).  The motorcycle feels stable, smooth and steady at 55 mph on speedo.  As the speed goes up it starts to become a little bouncy and the handle bar starts vibrating then stabilizes a bit as I push faster (may be my grip tightens !).  At 80 mph, it feels light and not that pleasant.  The road was flat and smooth highway with no wind. 

As always ACE has good ideas.  Can it match the experience that you had with your standard 1965 350 cc ? I doubt it.  Still I love it.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 05:33:21 am
 ;D
Yeah too much coffee sorry.  :-[
The wife's taken her panties back. ;)
And Ive just spent the last 3 days sitting on the floor. Taking 720 cam readings at 1/1000 of an inch.

Thanks Ace Ive noted your points. I plan to strip into the suspension. As soon as I finish putting the engine back together. Im going thru the engine with a fine tooth comb right now. Blue printing any engine has never been this much fun or as rewarding.

I thought it was called the classic because it retained all the features of the classic. i.e. basic frame / rake / trail etc.

I only hope I dont land up having to move the engine around i.e. lower / back / forward.
This bike has to be able to handle at least 130 Kmph which is the company rated top speed. Then Ill be happy.

We used to have similar issues with our land speed bikes.  We would get one of our speed monkeys onto it to do a punch thru run.
Two things would happen.
a. It would wobble like crazy and then go rock solid. or
b. It would throw the rider. And we knew we would have to go back to the drawing board  ;D

Peace out.
Ps: Some people have reported replacing the front tyre worked for them.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 12:12:43 pm
;D

Ps: Some people have reported replacing the front tyre worked for them.

I forgot to mention that I did replace the stock Avon Speedmaster/Safety Mileage combo with a set of Avon Roadriders.
I don't know if the change affected the high speed handling though. My G5 has no bad tendency's at speed at all other than it vibrates the fillings out of my teeth over 65 MPH.
Just a thought but if your C5 has the 18" wheels you might want to find yourself a 19" wheel for the front end.  I heard that it really improves the C5's.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 10:31:59 am
95mph on the c5.  Downhill, wind to my back on smooth 3 lane highway, feet on the rear pegs and chin on the speedo.  Bike was stable but very easy to induce a head-shake. FIRM grip on the bars.  Frightening on this bike, but ton may be doable with new exhaust.

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 05:56:34 am
Nope you wont see the ton on this bike.
The rev limiter is set at 5500.
So no matter how steep that slope or how much tail wind you catch.
The max speed on paper is 150 Kmph.

The company claims 130 Kmph.
Id really like to see the bike ride able at least at 60 MPH.

I think its time to put some pressure on RE to sort this out.
I know it can be done. Because Ive seen the test bikes do 140.
Off course this was on a Track but they can be made stable.
If RE wants.

In its present shape well its only safe to a real speed off 50-55 MPH as Singh Ji has pointed out.
Im sorry guys. Im not on any nostalgia trip. For me the bike needs to be functional first and foremost.

Ive seen more fuss made about stuff like paint in tank, and side stand switches. When this is the real issue that needs sorting.