Author Topic: been out of the country got a question  (Read 6866 times)

Monty

• Scooter
on: January 18, 2010, 04:14:56 pm
Hey RE brothers, I'm still in Afghanistan, but time is winding down, so I have been looking at trading in my Electra X for a C5.  But before I do I need to know has anyone seen or riden on the "pillion" seat that is offered with the C5?  Or have they come out with a dual seat for the C5?  I'm not going to get one if the Wife can not ride with me.  She told me the other day she got the bike out of storage so I can take her for a ride when I come home on R&R.

Stay safe on the Road

Monty

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 05:08:15 pm
Hey RE brothers, I'm still in Afghanistan, but time is winding down, so I have been looking at trading in my Electra X for a C5.  But before I do I need to know has anyone seen or riden on the "pillion" seat that is offered with the C5?  Or have they come out with a dual seat for the C5?  I'm not going to get one if the Wife can not ride with me.  She told me the other day she got the bike out of storage so I can take her for a ride when I come home on R&R.

Stay safe on the Road

Monty

The pillion seat for the C5 is one "Class A" part! It's big, comfy and sturdy .... not a crappy "add-on" but built JUST for the C5! There is also a bench seat in the works - but the pillion styling and ease of installation is over the top .... Stay safe, come home and RIDE!!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 02:42:11 am
Monty

Hello Monty:

I just wanted to add that even though you have mentioned C5 but I would suggest that you and your wife ride once on C5 and once on G5 because G5 has a long bench seat.

I have a G5 and I just love the seat and my son on the pillion loves it too.  Comfort can sway the decision over looks and appeals - you know what I mean - goes for motorcycles and women alike !!!

Hope to see you soon here riding one of a kind RE.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 02:54:52 am
     Hey Monty! Great to hear from you. I'm glad you listened to my advice (DUCK!!!!). I have a G5 in stock for you to test ride. Take care!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 03:01:55 am
Vince, Monty wants to test a C5.  I wouldn't mind test riding your G5  :P.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 06:12:38 pm
     REpozer, I'm here waiting for you.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 06:32:14 pm
A tall cup of premium black coffee, and a G5 test ride!
Vince,I love you man!

Now to get myself to Washington.......you never know. :)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 06:37:11 am

Stay safe on the Road

Monty

A pic of the wife would have helped.
But unless she is a size zero. Forget about cumfort. The rear seat is a killer.
I think it was designed that way. And most C5 owners love it cause it means nobody is going to bother them and they can ride alone.

My wife cant sit on it for more than 10 min.
My mates will ask me to pull over and prefer to walk vs sitiing on the bike.

Ive had to listen to their detailed complaints about the seat.
a. Its not flat. Its go a curved surface. You cant sit on it. Unless you sit it on it sideways. Its going to ride up your butt crack.

b. Once it starts to ride up your but crack. Every bump is felt by your nuts. And the pressure is put on the insides of your thighs cutting off all blood circulation.

c. The problem is made worse by the position of the foot rest pegs.
Unlike the older bullets where you could adjust the height of the foot rests. On the C5 they are fixed.

I could go on and on. Ive heard it all from anybody who has taken a ride with me.

So I went to my Seat Expert.
He makes and exports a lot of seats.

He gave me a few options.
a. Re-Do the single seat get it a little wider. Put in a lip on the rear and front to prevent sliding. Get the surface flat.

b. Put in a LB500 bench seat. This is the most comfortable for the rear passanger but I found it pressing up on the insides of my thighs and cuting off circulation. The LB seat is almost a direct bolt on. you will just need to change one clamp.

c. Put in a Thunderbird twin spark kind of seat. This is very comfortable for the rider its also a lot lower. But its not got a lot of meat for the rear passanger. Its more comfortable than the single c5 seat but not as good as the LB bench seat.

Ive not made up my mind what do yet.
One thought was to just re-do the single seat. And add a nice sissy comfy sissy bar from the Bajaj Avenger.

I would still buy the C5. Its the best bike RE have ever made.
Its fast. Its peppy. It actually feels more like a bike and less like a tractor.

Monty

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 05:01:36 pm
Vince good to hear from you, what is your view on the Pillion seat for the C5? 

to everyone who responded thank you very much, I hope to be home soon riding the back roads of WA

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 05:40:15 pm
     Monte, some women do fine on a pillion. One of my other customers doesn't even have a pillion seat. Hie wife throws a towel on the fender. This is the exception. Based on my observations since 1969 I have to tell you: DON'T PUT YOUR WIFE ON A PILLION SEAT IF YOU EXPECT TO HAVE SEX IN THE NEXT WEEK.
     I look forward to seeing you. When you get back, AFTER you spend some time with your lovely wife, come see me. I'll treat you to a cup of coffee and we can talk Enfields.

Monty

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 05:55:16 pm
Sounds good Vince...See you end of Feb early March

Corbin

• Dare To Be You!
  • Scooter
Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 10:26:12 pm
Royale Enfield U.K. has both the add on pillon seat or the dual seat.  Have ordered the first myself.  I hear both seats are rather comfortable.
Ride: 2009 Black Royal Enfield Bullet Classic EFI
Name: Betty-Ann

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 10:56:18 am
    : DON'T PUT YOUR WIFE ON A PILLION SEAT IF YOU EXPECT TO HAVE SEX IN THE NEXT WEEK.
Clap Clap
Applause.
Couldn't have said it better my self.

Monty

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 01:42:10 pm
Corbin,

thanks for the reply...do you have an website I can go to, so I can check them out.

thanks again

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 04:33:16 pm
Hi Monty,

Give a shout when your ready and I can round up a couple of locals for coffee at Vinces if you like. I can't speak for the others but you can take my Iron Barrel for a spin and the sandwiches are on me.

Br. Vince,,IM sent.

No matter where you go, there, you are.