Author Topic: At peace with my 06 Electra  (Read 13828 times)

TRider

• Bulleteer
on: November 25, 2007, 03:14:31 am
I didn't ride my 06 Electra for almost 3 months, missed possibly the best part of the riding season.  I could have got it back from the dealer, but stubbornly I left it there, hoping along with the dealer that the Classic Kit would be in anytime.  He was encouraged many times that it was on its way, but it didn't happen.  I have no problem with the dealer in Ellaville, Ga. , the owners of Mor-Rite Motorcycle Garage were very honest with me and certainly provided service over and beyond what most dealers would have provided.  I speak of Wayne Morrow and his son Wayne in the highest regard.

When I got it back I initially had some heartache about the bike and questioning my decision to have the Classic Kit installed.  The look was so different, so radical.  Especially after I noticed the quality of the tank.   The chrome is of poor quality and the green paint is also substandard.  But I accept it like it is, I really don't want to give the bike up again.  I'll just deal with this a ways down the road. 

After riding my Electra the 48 miles home from the dealer in Ellaville, and then again Thanksgiving Day morning after the bike was towed back to them the previous Monday (towed by Mor-Ride free of charge), and then riding the bike today 75 miles, I am here to report that I am now at peace with my Electra. 

After viewing the new color scheme from every angle, after flipping pages in some of my old Classic motorycle  mags, I am now very satisfied with the new look.  Initially I didn't think I would like the chrome front fender with a green rear fender.  Now I do.  It truly is a very classic look.  Looking down on the bike from the rear you see the line of the green rear fender and the line of the green center line of the fuel tank.  It just all goes together.  I am indeed happy and satisfied.

Please note tha the painted tank I received was not painted in India at the factory.   My understanding is that the factory kept shipping the wrong color scheme on each delivery.  They just couldn't get the chrome and green tank right.  They must have a problem with understanding the difference between green and gray.  Green must mean gray.  So CMW's had a local painter paint the tank that was shipped to me.  I think this was done so hurriedly to satisfy a few customers that superior quality was maybe not expected nor received.  Hopefully the green and chrome tanks sold in the future will be painted from the factory in India where quality is expected.  At least I sure hope this is possible and not just a dream. 

After saying all of that, and I am sure way too much, I am very happy overall with my 2006 Electra Bullet.  The bike runs perfect, most injoyable motorcycle I have ever ridden.  Not the smoothest, but it just rides what I think a motorcyle should ride like.
I love it because it different, its radical, its beautiful, its just so darned unique.  Yes, I am at peace.  I don't hold grudges.  One cannot even say the word grudge without a frown on his face.  Its not healthy. 

And so it is.  I've said my piece.  Peace be to all.
Happy Holidays,
Terry
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 06:37:21 pm by TRider »

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 03:37:04 am
Terry,
I think that there is a lesson in all you post for all of us.
For me, the bike that I bought, is as it gets sold in India,  with the painted rear fender, chrome front fender, and the chrome/paint combination tank. I have been thinking that at some time, I will move to the all painted look, because my personal preference is for the engine/gearbox to not be painted and to look like the metal they are made out of, and for the body work to be painted. If any chrome, maybe the exhaust pipe. Reading what you say tells me to leave well alone, and not make any of the cosmetic changes. Spend the cash and the time on enjoying riding the bike instead. That's the lesson in it for me.
RE India currently sells this bike in black, or what they call athena grey, for the painted parts, and they do not have a green in their Indian line up. Maybe that is why they have not been able to get you the exact shade you need.
Enjoy the bike!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 06:51:34 pm
I agree with you Indian48.  I ordered my Electra seven months ago and picked it up 6 months ago.  I ordered it just like it is right now, with the performance kit and the Classic Kit.  The only thing I added was saddle bags.  It took 7 months to get the Green Classic Kit installed from date of order.  I paid for all of this up front.   

On hindsight, if I were buying a new Electra today, I would buy it bone stock.  You see, I don't even know if the performance kit even made any difference.  I just had to have it.  This was all my decisions, so I have only myself to blame.   I should have just added stuff as I went along.  In other words, if my order was not filled in a resonable amount of time, then I could just cancel the order.  If the part came in with an inferior paint job or damage, then I could just sent them back for a refund.  But we live & learn, and at 61 I don't know how many more lessons I want to learn. 

I truly am not bitter toward anyone.  In my persuit of the "perfect bike",  I take full responsibility. 

As I said previously, I am now at peace with my Electra.  I am satisfied.  Life goes on, and I have to always remember, for myself a motorcycle is just a toy, like my boat.  I don't need it for transportation, and I sure don't need the boat to catch fish to have something to eat tonight.

My advise to a newbee would be to go slowly, build your "perfect bike" as you go along, over a period of time, no need for haste.
Terry

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 11:23:58 pm
Look at this way, the day you stop learning is the day you stop growing is the day you start going into decline! I hope to go out of this world without having gotten into the decline phase.
As for your advice about going slowly all I will say is Amen!
Kumar

LJRead

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:13:50 am
I guess what your saying, TRider, is that what you have is "good enough" for now anyway.  I'd say we'd all be a lot happier if we try to get along better with what we have - a good Thanksgiving thought - don't you think?

It's like a beautiful woman, a few minor flaws seem to make her more beautiful!

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 12:27:22 am
The last place you expect to see philosophical understanding, is on a motorcycle forum. You guys are amazing.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

LJRead

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 01:01:56 am
The process of getting somewhere is more important than the goal - hey TRider?

And RagMan aka Indiana-Bulleteer- I seem to sense a pretty strong philosophical outlook from you, as well.  Like the new handle - less awkward.

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 01:03:19 am
It is the community that is amazing,,,this is a very high quality group of people. Maybe its the RE that gets a certain type of people together, and also plays a key part in bringing the best out of us.
As I keep telling LJR, there is a book about this, begging to be written!!

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 01:15:38 am
Ragman,
There are some interesting thoughts starting in the High Compression Piston discussion as well,,,more on zen and the art of motorcycle upgrading, that you may want to jump into!

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 01:45:53 am
I will go look - I had nothing to post in the original posts so have not been checking it.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

LJRead

Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 06:55:21 pm
I reread this thread this morning and had another look at your "Members Rides" photos and must say that the bike is gorgeous,  To me, having a chrome rear fender would be a pain since keeping it polished would mean working a rag around all the impediments like the racks, saddlebags etc. and also, like you say, the green on the tank continues to flow into the fender.

Yet when I reread what you say, there is a sort of resignation to maybe having second best, or at least not having the bike measure up to your original dream.  What I think is you deserve a celebration of a job well done, and I think most on the forum would be only too happy to exchange bikes with you, that is, if they haven't put so much of themselves into their bikes, which I expect they have.

No, you have every right to be at piece over your efforts and all those who took part, it is an extremely beautiful bike.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 07:26:14 pm
Terry.. you've done quite a few changes.. I was wondering what the shade over the light looked like..now I know.. I like it :)

Got a question for you about the solo seat.. did you use anything to cover up all the electronics under the seat?

I have an aversion to leaving them exposed for weather reasons and to keep prying fingers off.

You never know what someone might do for a practical joke.

Case in point. I had just got my Electra and I stopped at the local Honda shop to look at helmets. While I was inside some guy dropped a small bolt on the engine and when I came out he made notice of it. I thanked him and said I would check it out later.. 45 minutes of searching with a mirror taking the tank off, just the basic motorcycle aerobics, I looked at the bolt head real close and noticed the Honda emblem stamped on it.  >:(  I'm certain he had a good laugh with his buddies.. ::)

I haven't been back, wouldn't want to run into his brand of humor again.

scotty

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 09:43:57 pm
Scotty asked:
Got a question for you about the solo seat.. did you use anything to cover up all the electronics under the seat?

No special deal.  I just have them tied up together.  I think I need to come up with something waterproof.  This had not crossed my mind until you said something.  I also have a battery tender connection hooked to the battery.  Should be able to use this for a heated vest also.  Thanks Scotty for the tip.

Larry, (LJ) thanks for your kind words.  I think that the new scheme was just so different, and I had waited so long, that it just took some "getting used to".  I really like it now.  However, I really like the old look too.  I know this sounds crazy, but I am thinking of Florida Orange in maybe a couple of years.  Front fender chrome, Orange tank and rear fender.

Later
Terry
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 10:11:10 pm by TRider »

LJRead

Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 10:20:10 pm

You know Terry, we are all so different in our likes and dislikes, aren't we?  I've had some ideas for business ventures in the past and thought "everyone would like that", only to find I was all alone in liking"that".  I have always been the last to follow fad or fashion.  But you seem to have an idea now of an evolutionary process with your bike - probably a good thing.  Maybe you should try to get a spare tank and fender and try things out!  CMW had some on sale, may be able to twist their arm for them!  You could even use canned spray paint to try things out. 

Have fun!

Larry

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 01:23:37 pm
Larry,
I'll just leave it alone for awhile and enjoy it the way it is.  I was resting on my patio last night, drinking a cup of coffee, and just looking at my Electra.  I liked what I was looking at.  NIce, real nice.