Author Topic: RE Scrambler  (Read 13000 times)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 25, 2007, 12:01:00 am
I just typed NEC Birmingham into Google and got a web site that showed the new RE Scrambler. Basically the Electra with off-road bars and a woodsman-style exhaustpipe. They billitas the Woodsman. The article mentioned the new UCE,but I couldn't get to the area with the pictures wihtoutbeing a member (whatever that means).

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 12:10:42 am
Correction. What I typed in was NEC Birmingham Royal Enfield. I just went back in and filled out a registration and got to see the rest of thephotos. Very cool bike, but thephoto of the UCE was motoronly, no G-model replica. However, the Woodsman is definitely cool.

deejay

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 12:38:46 am
wtf? the exhaust goes under the toolbox???

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 01:14:37 pm
The original Woodsman was a RE "Indian" bike.  Here is a picture of the 1956 catalogue page. It was a much nicer bike!

http://www.re-indian.com/56catalogue.html

Tom
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 03:18:53 pm by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 01:23:58 pm
That new woodsman looks terrible - If they want a scrambler why put Avon road tires on it - it needs knobby tires - the high exhaust looks totally out of place, because the bike has standard wheels on it. Scramblers have different sized wheels, not two 19 inch ones. All in all it is a complete mess. Ugly just doesn't describe it well enough.

If they put a 21" on the front, 18" on the rear, semi aggressive tires, different front fender, and braced handlebars, it would look like it could do the job.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 03:24:24 pm

Rag Man, Do you mean like this. The Watsonian kit on a 2007 Elecktra. Back in the early days they used the same size tires front and rear for racing on a lot of the Royal Enfields, and most bikes of the time. People didn't trailer there bikes to races, they rode them to the races, raced, and rode back home. Different front and rear tires were experimented with, and made pretty much standard later than the RE,Triumph, and BSA racing days. The new ones, I believe are just trying to reflect the older models. I was thinking of buying an Elecktra and was going to have the exact one pictured above.. I think it is a beautiful bike. It has the RE Indian Tomahawk look. I agree that the 2008 Woodsman doesn't do much for me either.  Hutch
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 04:06:10 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 05:16:48 pm
Hutch, that's not the bikethey are talking about. RE is going to sell a factory scrambler. The pics are on the NEC web site. It's an interestingconcept, and is likely to get the same type of polarized response that theTriumph scrambler did.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 06:02:19 pm
The news release is misleading. This is NOT a factory bike, but rather is a kit installed by Watsonian-Squire in England, The Royal Enfield factory makes basic bikes and is not capable of many variants. The export market is a very small part of REM;s business. They are hoping to produce around 40,000 units this year and only around 2,000 will be exported. Manufacturing is a very organized undertaking and making variants in small numbers does not work for Royal Enfield. It has been left to the importers to come up with variants. Watsonian has done a good job of this. We have preferred to provide variants in the form of owner/dealer installed kits. We think that this works better for the US market for many reasons. For example we currently everything you need to make a similar bike in our 2007 catalog. The new catalog will feature a "Woodsman" style exhaust to complete the look. This way you put the bike together the way you want using as many or as few of the parts as you wish.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 06:52:31 pm
Hutch, that's not the bikethey are talking about. RE is going to sell a factory scrambler. The pics are on the NEC web site. It's an interestingconcept, and is likely to get the same type of polarized response that theTriumph scrambler did.
I went to the NEC site  first and looked at the red one they were talking about. I don't like that new one. The 2007Electra Lean burn I pictured is a kit from Watsonian also, that one I like, I think it looks better than the red 2008 Watsonian kit on the NEC site. I don't like the new Triumph scrambler either. I took one for a ride when I bought my Kawasaki W650 in Wisconsin. All the Triumphs have gained weight from the sixties and even look heavy. JUST LIKE ME.!!!!    Hutch
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 06:59:36 pm by hutch »

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 08:11:43 pm
Hutch, I really like the look of that silver one - it totally makes the marque - great looking bike. I wouldn't mind an Electra if it looked like that.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 02:05:22 pm
http://www.royal-enfield.com/enfield_images.htm

The silver scrmabler is the Electra 500T

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 02:07:17 pm by longstrokeclassic »

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 02:53:15 pm
That is the look I want to have on my Bullet.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 08:34:55 pm
That is the look I want to have on my Bullet.

RagMan, Those parts look good on either the Electra or the Classic Bullet don't they. I know you can get the parts from Watsonian, and probably through CMW. How bout that Kevin, am I correct??  I knowWatsonian sells it as whole kit, or you can buy individual parts also.  Hutch
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 08:37:09 pm by hutch »

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 09:10:35 pm
The more I see that look, the more I want to get the bits and put 'em on.  The lack of a workshop is annoying. (but I have a large living room. :) )
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 09:27:23 pm
The more I see that look, the more I want to get the bits and put 'em on.  The lack of a workshop is annoying. (but I have a large living room. :) )

I just got my garage 3 years ago. The living room worked for 39 years. I have 3 bikes in the house now, my garage isn't heated. Wouldn't want them to suffer through a cold Michigan winter.  I don't pamper my bikes, NAW!!!!  When riding comes around I don't baby them though.  Hutch