Author Topic: Kickstarter - TDC not obvious sometimes. Why?  (Read 13674 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 11:42:57 pm
Indian 48: Agree..That is how I am doing it now with the electric start and if I am in the mood (kick start)...Just letting u know that when the bike was brand new (I was able to use the decompressor and start from any piston position)..Now I have to have it at TDC or a bit past to use the starter w decompressor or use the old foot to start the bike...Note: If I'm not close to TDC, I hit the starter button while holding down the decompressor and nothing...nothing happens/DEAD. If I put the piston to TDC (Via the ampmeter),  the starter engages cranks over.. Just an observation..The bike always starts...Just have to put it to TDC for either electric or kick starting...Like u guys have mentioned many times..Once u get to this point (TDC) u are already there and just need a push to get u over that hairy edge. Probably a new battery would get it back the way it was...But at this point its not a big deal....cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 01:17:30 am
If you read the Snidal manual, using the ES when the battery is low may result in a catastrophic ( his words!) failure of the starter motor. Because it seems that in that case, the drain on a low battery causes the ignition timing to inadvertently advance, doing the same thing to the motor, what a backfire can do to your foot. He also says that in later models, RE has incorporated a relay to prevent the advance from happening.
I would get the battery checked, as a minimum, before using it for ES.
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 01:45:20 am
Indian 48: Yupper, gotta take it up for its last inspection before warranty expires...Guess I'll just kick start it (play safe)..Thanks for the info and I'll poise your statement out of the Snidal manual to the tech who seems verse in the bullet..thanks

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 03:02:54 am
A point I missed in reading your posts - if you are using the ammeter to detect TDC, it tells me you have CB ignition, in which case the Snidal advice does not apply. Low voltage caused advanced ignition happens only in case of electronic ignition systems on the RE.
So you do not need to have starter motor damage concerns, but getting the bike past TDC before hitting the button is always a good idea.
Note also that RE recommends that the first start of the day, or after an extended period of non use, should always be via KS, in the interest of extending battery life.
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 04:06:09 am
okay..was getting a bit confused//06 classic with points..no electronics...
thanks for the info...going to bed...cheers

Kiwichick

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 05:04:52 am
Well spotted India48.  Take a bow!