Author Topic: towing  (Read 2530 times)

little_a_o

• 8 mph slower than indicated
  • Scooter
  • '06 Military (Missed)
on: December 01, 2007, 03:38:55 pm
I could use your opinions on using those hitch mounted front wheel ONLY carriers. 

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 04:44:45 pm
I haven't seen one of these in years. The EPCO carrier was the first and possibly only one sold. They were fairly popular in the 70's and 80's. I saw mixed results. When things went according to plan it was OK. I could, however tell you some real horror stories. I would use a trailer. Here are some things to be careful of if you do use this device: Use a quality frame-mounted trailer hitch. Establish FOUR separate mounting points to the car frame (not bumper or bumper mount). Use four tie downs to four separate mounting points. Handle bars, of course, then to the cycle frame. Get them even on both sides. Strap the front wheel into the carrier. Remove the chain or loosen the wheel enough to lift the chain off the rear sprocket and tie the chain up away from the wheel. Re-tighten the wheel. This is important. Through either bad luck or mischief a couple of customers found the bike in gear when they stopped. This caused disastrous damage to the wheel, transmission, and engine. Be careful when backing up!  The bike pivots and flips quickly.  If you decide on a trailer, get one with at least 14" wheels. Use four tie downs-two each front and rear. Tie the wheels to the rail or bed if at all possible.Compress the suspension about half way  with the tie downs. Leave some suspension movement available to minimize stress to the ties. and mounting points.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 02:32:08 am
If it doesn't fit in my pockets it isn't going.....
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.