Author Topic: Help! 1967 RE Interceptor 750. Missing bolt.  (Read 2916 times)

brad

• Scooter
on: January 16, 2010, 08:58:16 pm
I'm a Bonehead. I took this motor apart about 6 months ago and I can't figure out what bolt or stud or whatever goes into this hole. Hours on google images don't help.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for looking!

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:51:00 pm
They don't show anything in the parts manual for that location. You could contact the Interceptor owners site they may have info on it.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

brad

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:12:29 pm
Yea, I have the workshop manual too. No hole.
None of the other images I can see show a hole there either.
It's pretty deep, like 3 1/4", I don't have a whitworth bolt that long, I can't even tell if it's threaded.
You think it might be a mount point for the wire tie?

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 05:00:49 pm
One thing I've noted on Royal Enfield twins is that they were always trying to improve the engine cases for strength, reliability, and oil tightness. They were more than aware that some owners were calling them Royal Oilfields. Since that bolt hole is right between the two oil plug/screen assemblies, it is a logical place to put an extra case bolt to help seal any lower case leak issues that there might have been. The older series I and the early series IA Interceptors weren't equipped with this fastener so the initial parts books were never updated for it. The Series II completely redesigned the case as a wet sump and had a much different case bolt set up so you won't find it there either. If it is not a through stud (goes all the way through to the other side) then it is likely either a bolt or a stud with nut set up. You might contact Hitchcock's for an answer. The thread would most likely be British Standard Cycle and it would probably be 1/4 X 26 TPI but may be 5/16 X 26 TPI if I had to guess. The length would be the depth of the bore plus the thickness of the nut and washer if it is a stud.

Kerby