Author Topic: Snidal manual  (Read 7000 times)

indian48

• Bulleteer
on: November 20, 2007, 12:28:02 am
Just wanted to point out to people here that the Snidal manual, that I got from CMW just yesterday, makes a lot of forceful points about many riding techniques that are interesting. And if they are valid, following even one of them may be worth many times the price of the CD.
For instance, the information about possible catastrophic failure of the starter motor, if used on a cold start, when the battery may be low in charge. Which is the basis for his recommendation to avoid the ES totally for cold starts, first thing in the morning.
Many other interesting pointers, and I commend the manual to all who are neophytes, as I am on this subject. Experts may pick up something too, for all I know.
Comments?
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

deejay

Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 05:12:08 pm
Just wanted to point out to people here that the Snidal manual, that I got from CMW just yesterday, makes a lot of forceful points about many riding techniques that are interesting. And if they are valid, following even one of them may be worth many times the price of the CD.
For instance, the information about possible catastrophic failure of the starter motor, if used on a cold start, when the battery may be low in charge. Which is the basis for his recommendation to avoid the ES totally for cold starts, first thing in the morning.
Many other interesting pointers, and I commend the manual to all who are neophytes, as I am on this subject. Experts may pick up something too, for all I know.
Comments?

Yes, it does have some great information! The electric starter is something that has always concerned me, that is why I am removing it. Kickstart only looks better anyways. I've spent hours reading the Snidal manual, it's helped me to understand my bike. There have been a few inaccuracies pointed out in older versions, due to the switch to metric... most notably are the torque specs for the head. If you have a metric bike, make sure the torque values for the head are correct. I think metric is like 21-22lbs max and witworth is like 28lbs... so you can see how it could be a problem. My only other complaint is a lack of photography. This was only a problem when I was really new to my bike and didn't know what everything was called. Other than that it is a very useful manual! I plan to get the Super shop manual as a companion piece.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 06:03:01 pm
I like Snidal's manual. The entry level "how to ride" stuff  was ignored, but it's definatly worth the $'s.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 06:32:22 pm
I like the manual too. I'd like to see a comprehensive index in it though.

At some point I'm going to develop a maintenance matrix showing the maintenance item, the page location of that item in Pete's book, my RE maintenance manual and my RE owner's manual. I'd also include a column for the specifications for that item where they are on separate or additional pages. I've found that the data is *all over the place*.

Something like:

Item                    RE Maint                       RE Own                     Snidal Man
               Procedures       Specs          Procedures     Specs         Procedures     Specs
-------------- ------------------------------- ---------------------------- --------------------------
Oil Change   23,30              5               17            3             12,29,47       8, 17

I'd also add a column to highlight discrepancies.

Matt

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 08:04:11 pm
When I came to the RE family in Aug as a neophyte, one of the first items suggest on this forum to obtain was the Snidal manual. I did & have not regretted it. Thumper, I like your idea of organization & cross ref. Lots of work, but would be a worthy addition.  :)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 09:50:25 pm
So, which version to have. Paper spiral bound version or CD-Rom?

If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 01:18:42 am
Both! If you have a printer, the way to do that is to get the CD, transfer it to your hard disk, lock up the CD in a safe place, and then print the entire contents.
I still absorb stuff from print better than I do from a screen! And you may want to carry the printed materials to the bike when you need to.
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 07:30:06 pm
I agree w/owning both. Makes life easier when I'm at the computer or if I'm away from home. That manual travels w/me!  ;)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

Kiwichick

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 07:44:18 pm
Have you other Electra owners picked up on the Snidal manual insistence of introducing a 10amp fust into the + battery lead.  He says (I paraphrase):

"open the battery cover.  Then run, don't walk, to a dealer, get the 10amp fusteand holder, and solder it into the battery setup"

Biddy

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 12:38:54 am
I use the RE manual available from CMW, has worked great for me so far. A ten amp fuse doesn't sound very reliable in a starting circuit.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 09:25:53 pm
I think I should have bought the cmw manual first. Im not too happy with the line drawings in snidals book. What no camera?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.