Author Topic: Handlebar clamp  (Read 4250 times)

stipa

• Grease Monkey
on: December 04, 2007, 07:45:03 am
Does anyone else have problems getting the clamp to take a good bite on the bars?
The OEM bars that came with my 04 Sixty-5 would slip occasionally if I gave a little push when kicking her over, and also sometimes just pushing it around the driveway.   (Okay, it's a little grade, but...). 
I have since put a set of the offroad style bars on;  not much of a knurl left on there after chroming, so those would slip sometimes also.  got those bottom clamp nuts down (overtorqued) pretty tight, but no, not stripped.
I have tried laying some lead sheet in there, roughing up the surfaces, but that chrome is fairly lubricious stuff.
Currently I am making a set of small dogbone type risers, (clamps donated from Kawi 750), we'll see how that works.

Any thoughts or feedback?  A hand knurler would be the cat's ass, but I am not gonna spring 200 bucks for one of those.

Thanks, SteveJay

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 12:39:33 pm
Does anyone else have problems getting the clamp to take a good bite on the bars?
The OEM bars that came with my 04 Sixty-5 would slip occasionally if I gave a little push when kicking her over, and also sometimes just pushing it around the driveway.   (Okay, it's a little grade, but...). 
I have since put a set of the offroad style bars on;  not much of a knurl left on there after chroming, so those would slip sometimes also.  got those bottom clamp nuts down (overtorqued) pretty tight, but no, not stripped.
I have tried laying some lead sheet in there, roughing up the surfaces, but that chrome is fairly lubricious stuff.
Currently I am making a set of small dogbone type risers, (clamps donated from Kawi 750), we'll see how that works.

Any thoughts or feedback?  A hand knurler would be the cat's ass, but I am not gonna spring 200 bucks for one of those.

Thanks, SteveJay

I've used a technique similar to what you mentioned with the lead sheet. I used sheet tin (garden-variety from the hardware store) to add additional diameter. Maybe try wetting with water and sprinkling sand prior to tightening? Bead-blasting sand and/or silicates might be hard enough to hold up under the pressure and give a good bite....

Matt

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:49:26 pm
A couple of other things  that work well is a thin layer of either valve lapping compound or rosin on the clamp before you tighten it up.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:38:41 pm
received wisdom here is to wrap some emery cloth around the bar (rough side against the bar) before tightening down the clamp.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 07:40:19 am
Ahhh, Unagi... I tried that once, bot only with a small piece;  maybe try several wraps of a nice 60 grit or similar.

Made up a nice stainless 7/8 bar at work, put a big fat course knurl on that, and mounted my dogbone set-up.  I have a pair of widdle apes I got from CMW, they are looking pretty good now,  except I am obligated to buy some longer cables now, and probably re-vamp some of the wiring too.
Thanks for the tip, Bull

SteveJay