Author Topic: The Jap's are screwing us,again  (Read 6444 times)

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 08, 2010, 02:29:11 pm
Cash for clunkers, an incentive to generate some revenue to the auto industries. The original program was for American cars, but the orientals cried foul....
Now that Japan  has offered this to the Japanese public, they have excluded all American cars.... WW III ? :o

99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 03:16:11 pm
There's a difference between stupid and ignorant.
This post is stupid.

Just my opinion, of course.
Run what ya brung

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 05:09:14 pm
The UK car scrappage scheme was all round pretty dodgy, as far as I can see.

There aren't really any British producers left but we sunk millions  into it, most of which has gone abroad to bring good cheer to far eastern producers.

Also, the finance available on scrappage scheme cars was always at punitive rates, and list prices rocketed just as it kicked in. I don't think it was really worth bothering with.

Of course, talk to anybody in the pub who paid out and they will tell you at length how they pulled off the deal of the century and that they have got it made, etc., etc.

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 05:13:22 pm
Japanese.

But yes cash for clunkers was a bust
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:23:29 pm
I don't fault them for looking out for their best interests,, its a scam anyway but at least they are implementing it with a bit more common sense..  A rare ting with these government programs...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:25:36 pm by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

GeorgeE

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 07:57:24 pm
Well my recollection is that one of the vehicles most traded for was the F100 pickup. If our esteemed representatives( and I use the term veeeeery loosely) really wanted to make it sensible they would have required some rational minimum mileage on the new vehicle.
And there are a number of Japanes manufacturing facilites here which as far as I know employ US citizens. Not sure if the are many US manufacturers with plants in Japan.   
47 G
5? Bullet
58 Trailblazer
59Constellation
61 Hornet
64 500 Twin
64 Interceptor
2007 Electra

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 08:21:54 pm
  That's kind of what I was thinking.  And I suppose if you do find a new American auto (with plenty of foreign componentry) there the price has to be astronomical.  That is one lesson I learned while working in a Japanese manufacturing facility in Kentucky, they buy into their own success.  Almost a pyramid type operation..they all own stock in each other in some shape or form.  

Love it or hate right now if it wasn't for Japan, Germany, and few other countries THIS country would be in a lot worse shape.  Heck I can't hate someone that is better, faster, or stronger than me if I refuse to really get in the game.

Will.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:31:23 pm by 1Blackwolf1 »
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:47:40 pm
All the frames on the rusted out Tacoma's and Tundra's were made here. We need to get back on track and make something here that lasts for awhile. I must admit I like the check they sent me it's what I paid for it.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 04:37:24 am
Lets say you want to do your citizen duty and purchase a good clean GM car and not one of those nasty foreign jobs.

Many parts are made in Mexico, then shipped to Canada for assembly. Yep its true.

http://www.offshoregroup.com/l-insaltillo.asp

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 06:24:50 am
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice,,,,,,,,wh,,,we don't git fooled again.

What a silly thread! 

Bug_Catcher

• Bulleteer
  • Finally... something exciting between my legs.
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 08:49:39 am
Calling them Japs is rather politically incorrect and offensive  :-[ and I hope you wrote it just because you were too lazy to spell out Japanese.

The US is a big pusher in global trade and economy and I say if a foreign country is producing products that Americans want to buy (for whatever reason that may be) using the exact same globalized techniques we Americans use then I say good for them.  Natural resource wise and military wise the Japanese have been completely castrated.  How they found ways around that to still come out as one of the world's biggest economic power houses is impressive IMO.

I spent over a year living in Japan and fell in love with it's people and was awed by the work ethnic and pride in whatever company they worked for, whether they were plunging toilets or building Hondas.  What they are strong in (improvements on existing products and finding more affordable ways to build them), we are weak in.  And what we are strong in (our ingenuity and individuality... we are constantly inventing), they are weak in.  It steams from cultural thinking that I won't even go into.  We invent the TV they improve it, we invent the car, they improve it.

I love my own country and think we have a lot of good here, however, I got nothing but respect and love for Japan as well.

So boo to this thread.  ::)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 12:41:49 pm
Calling them Japs is rather politically incorrect and offensive  :-[ and I hope you wrote it just because you were too lazy to spell out Japanese.

The US is a big pusher in global trade and economy and I say if a foreign country is producing products that Americans want to buy (for whatever reason that may be) using the exact same globalized techniques we Americans use then I say good for them.  Natural resource wise and military wise the Japanese have been completely castrated.  How they found ways around that to still come out as one of the world's biggest economic power houses is impressive IMO.

I spent over a year living in Japan and fell in love with it's people and was awed by the work ethnic and pride in whatever company they worked for, whether they were plunging toilets or building Hondas.  What they are strong in (improvements on existing products and finding more affordable ways to build them), we are weak in.  And what we are strong in (our ingenuity and individuality... we are constantly inventing), they are weak in.  It steams from cultural thinking that I won't even go into.  We invent the TV they improve it, we invent the car, they improve it.

I love my own country and think we have a lot of good here, however, I got nothing but respect and love for Japan as well.

So boo to this thread.  ::)

This kids' got class..and a rather good eye for details.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 01:21:20 pm
VERY well said.

It seems kind of dumb to try to alienate one of the few foreign countries that actually likes the Unitied States. 
Run what ya brung

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 03:22:10 pm
Do they,,?  what are you thinking. Did you forget the torture in WW II, or the shit they rubbed in our faces copying all the products we designed, then under cut prices,sacrificing quality.
I'm not the intellectual of most of the contributors of these column's, BUT I am an American, and probably a redneck, but primarily don't think that Americans should not support our country. 100 %.
Fair trade is exactly that, Fair 
I know I have lost all respect by expressing MY opinion., that is freedom of speech.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 03:39:19 pm
Well, how long is a good time to feed anger?  Is it at all productive or helpful to carry a grudge?  If you're redneck, then you probably go to church.  What would Jesus say?  I have a feeling that black folks, Chinese and Native Inidan Americans would have something to say on this subject.  Most rednecks think black folks should be "over it" by now.  So- it's OK to carry resentment for 60 years, but not 150 years?   Can I assume you feel the same way about Germans and Italians? 
Do you shop at Wal-Mart?

Sorry.  Pleanty of rednecks around here that are pretty well thought out.  I think you just decided to be mad about something to take your mind off what you're really mad at. 

Good luck with that.
Run what ya brung