Author Topic: Gearbox probs  (Read 5507 times)

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 04, 2010, 01:49:10 pm
Sometimes when I leave the bike I come back to it and it appears to have gotten itself into top gear. The front wheel brake lock moves from its position at the top to at the bottom and the indicator switch is on and the kill sw seems to be off.   

Now I don't leave the bike like this.

In America you would get shot for messing with a mans bike.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:48:07 pm
Well I guess some do think we're just a bunch of cowboys here is America. But it's no wonder after the last Prez, a cowboy money spender. What will you think next after the prez we've got now, a big city slicker money giver!

A universal problem you have Clamp, children!

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 03:58:25 pm
Who is the culprit, Colonel Mustard, Miss Scarlet, Mr. Green, Mrs. Peacock, Professor Plum, Mrs. White? Who did the unthinkable to Mr. Boddy (Clamp, the victim)?

Through deduction and determination we can solve this case. I suspect there was some shrubbery involved! 
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:14:34 pm
In the high school days, we would slim jim all the teachers cars, turn the radio up full, wipers on,seat all the way up etc. it was fun !
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 10:06:33 pm
when i was in high school a few of us merrymakers picked up the basketball coach's VW and placed it between a telephone pole and the stabilizing wire.. perfect fit.. the only way he gor it out was to reverse the process... we didn't get caught either

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 10:10:53 pm
  Man Scotty we did something similiar to that to our shop teachers VW squareback.  We put it in the welding booth so it looked like had been paralell parked that way.  Knew there was something devious about you I liked. ;D ;D ;D
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 02:24:24 am
Phew ---so you think its a joke,--and I thought it was a poltergeist.

If I get my hands on this--this poltergeist il'le send it to hell.

Man--(American language )  you don't mess with a guys bike,--no matter where I parked it.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 03:13:31 am
  Much agreed, but you do have to catch the culprit first.  I basically trust no one around any of my bikes.  Came out of an auto store to find a kid sitting on my Drifter..750 pound bike being straddled by a 150 pound 5'10" kid who wanted to see if he could lift it off the stand.  Chased him off with a severe pain infliction warning. 
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 03:45:24 am
A bit over a month ago, on the way home from work, I called at a local bottleshop to pick up a wicked little red to drown my sorrows (It was only Monday) :-[ I was inside for about 10 minutes deciding whether to spend $10 for 750mls or $14 for 4 litres. When I came out the enfield was laying on it's side, fuel pouring out, a dent on the new tank (700kms) and the foot peg in such a position I had to ride it home reaching down with my left hand to change gears by which I had a choice of two. By the way they don't like to change without the clutch. I stood it up and went over to a young couple of blokes who had been sitting outside a pizza shop when I pulled up, But they didn't see a thing, one started to smirk and I'm afraid that's when I lost it, but that's another story >:(.

So Clamp ghosts do evidently exist and are up to no good as we speak. The upshot was I was able to straighten my footpeg back to normal with a large hammer and a bit of wood and the rest wasn't a big problem. Tough Little bikes !!!

Cheers   :)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 05:13:28 am
hocko...  Man... seeing some jerk smirk..  grrrr.. >:(  I came out of my shop one time to see this guy lifting his kikking 4 year old on to my BMW's seat..  kid kikked the tank a few times going down.. I was less than friendly >:(  said he ..didn't see how it mattered.. I said where is your car parked? he said HUH.. I repeated the question with the sentence of " i want to know, because I'm going to walk on the hood of your car, what does it matter" ?

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 05:32:37 am
Buy a wireless camera fro X10 and hook it up to a VCR which records over it self or a small TV. You can get the VCR comander or the sensor that detects body heat and will triger recordings. The complete kit is like 90$ and mine has lasted over 10 years.

Kids and my bikes.

1. Kid gets onto my VF750. While its on the side stand and starts to play with the handle bar. His parents are standing there. And I keep telling them please get him off the bike its dangerous. They just think Im being a prick. The bike falls over and he hurts his leg.
The parents want to file a case against me. Something about why do you use a bike with a defective stand.

2. Finding new scratches on my bike I install a X10 wireless camera in the basement.
See who is doing it. Its the little brat from upstairs and he has his sister posted as the look out while he kicks in my paint.

I go down and catch him red handed. After a quick sorry. He has his hands on his hipps. And is screaming and shouting at me. I said Sorry what more do you want you idiot. Now how do you react to that from a 10 year old.
I told him the next time I caught him Id knock his teeth in and say sorry too.

3. Guy walks up to my bike. Puts his boots on the front mud gurad. And proceeds to tie his shoe laces. When he takes his leg off he drags it across the paint.

4. At collage the other guys would love scratching my bike. I was the only guy with a bike (Worked the night shift at a hotel to buy a 2nd hand bike). When I asked my dad for one he just held his sides and laughed.

Here is the remedy I used.
a. Buy Studs helmet box. Drill hole in top and install a nice fancy spring aerial with a flag on it. People love bending these.
b. Pick up a busted 12 V B&W TV from the junk yard. You know one of those 6" CRT TVs guys used to install in their cars. Rip out the PCB and the HT coil.
c. Hook up the circuit to the bat of the bike and connect the HT coil lead to the aerial sticking out of the box. Hook up the power s/w to a plactic switch under the seat / tank. So you know to turn it off.

When I got back to the bike there was a guy on the floor with a large crowd around him. He had got szped pissed his pants and passed out.
Nobody ever messed with my bike in collage after that.

Another idea Im thinking of taking a patent out for is called the "Wiskers"
Same circuit this time the think SS steel wiskers stick out the side of the bike.
Anybody gets too close to me they get a shock.
Very effective at driving thru a herd of cows or goats or people on Indian roads.

You can tune to shock voltage by tuning the input voltage to the Coil.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 05:59:54 am
Chinoy
I'm very impressed with your way of thinking, but me being a non technical minded type, it would be sure to stuff it up some how and do myself a very serious injury
 :o. I have to admit that even at my age and decreasing abilities, the the feel of nasal cartilage giving way to knuckle where warranted is still hard to beat.
 ;)

Cheers all and happy days.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 07:03:37 am
I like the faulty side stand, I could rig up a faulty side stand on my 1400 suzuki and if it falls over on some one messing with it they will still be there when I get back.

Hopefully the engine will still be hot and they get 3rd degree burns and get gangreen and have to have there leg chopped off.

What does it matter,-- you can get great prosthetics these days.

Or needles just under the seat cover that can be retracted to a lower depth for riding.

These could be old drug addicts needles so they get Arse Injected Desease Syndrome.

All this anger,---and all could be avoided by having respect for other peoples property.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 10:14:46 am

These could be old drug addicts needles so they get Arse Injected Desease Syndrome.

;D :D 8)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 03:09:09 am
electric fence set up with constintine wire  ;D