Author Topic: Tap off points for Oil Cooler.  (Read 7913 times)

chinoy

• Bulleteer
on: December 30, 2009, 09:58:31 am
Need to install an oil cooler. My DIY Engine Gauge setup is already showing me temps in excess of the flash point of the oil used.

Can somebody suggest good tap off points.
Plan is to install a small oil cooler as used on the Bajaj Avenger.

Id like it to look as neat as possible.
One point is off the oil filter chamber or cover. What about the return ?
There is a bolt on the right hand cover maybe this for the return.

Any inputs would be much appreciated.
This is for the C5 UCE engine.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:02:13 am
 Wish I could help Br. chinoy but unfortunately a C5 is not in my near future.
 It has to wait. Till then I watch these threads of yours  to gather knowledge for when the day finally comes.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:02:33 am

Here are a few points I was thinking of using.
Here is some info on the system
http://www.slideshare.net/classicmw/royal-enfield-uce-lubrication

Still waiting for ideas.
Need a tap off point and return point.
Oil Cooler in Hand.  Baja Avenger 200cc

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:19:00 am
Here is a pic of the Oil Cooler I plan to use.
Hoses and Thermostat switch will be ready by Monday.
Electric Fan will be added with two small plastic Scoops on either side.

jayprashanth

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 11:28:34 am
Ron,

A Royal Enfield mechanic, Antony of Mumbai has installed the Bajaj Pulsar 200s oil cooler on a Royal Enfield Machismo's LB500 engine. Apparently, the oil cooler works very fine. Just remembered that one when I saw your post. But that one doesn't have any thermostat or fan.

Cheers,

Jay

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 05:37:55 am
That is a Pulsar Oil Cooler in the Pic  ;D

I also have a cooler as used on the Power Steering of some American cars.
But the Pulsar oil Cooler is cheap, its looks cool. It comes with all the rubber mounting bits and bobs. Even has ready made air scoops to fix to the sides. Its also a new part.

The cooler is actually so efficient it doesn't need a fan.
Installing a oil cooler on the older bikes with the external oil lines is a 2 minute job.
With the UCE its a bit more complex.
If you dont want a Thermostatic s/w then buy the Avenger cooler, if you want a sensor mount buy the P220 unit.

Im also working on stacking these. Just in case I dont see a huge drop in oil temp.
My Cylinder Temps on a short ride goes past 250F.
Ive noticed once the bike start moving its ok.
Its the stop and go bumper to bumper trafic that is the killer.
And you know Bangalore Trafic its a nightmare.

motocamp

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 07:38:49 am
I plan to fit one sometime soon on a NUCE 500,what did the cooler cost you chinoy? I think point one in the picture would be more practical in the long run, but if you are planning to test it then the filter cover might be a better idea, you could just replace it if you are not happy with the cooler performance.

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 05:05:38 am
Cost will be around 2K for all the parts from Bajaj. Then there will be the machine work required. Modification to the pipes, modification to the sensor. i.e. the Bajaj Sensor is not going to work. The weather proof fans are also costly.

Not sure about your other questions.
But I would tread very carefully when modding the UCE.
You do not want
a. Any drop in pressure to the rocker arms and top of the cylinder.
b. You do not want any delay in the oil reaching the top.

What is your objective in installing an oil cooler. You need clear well defined objective.
i.e. my present CHT is X I want to drop it to Y. Or my present oil temp is this and I want it to drop to this.
Have you got your base line measurements for all the critical points ?

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 03:49:23 pm
Hello,
I hope no-one objects to me resurrecting this post, but I see the question was never completely answered.

I was reviewing old posts trying to bring up my education level on these singles.  I thought of fitting an Oil Temperature Gauge to the C5.

So when I read this post my concern lies not really in the Tap off Points, but more so why a stock engine being run in the environment for which it was designed would need a cooler if the engineers felt that the engine could adequately cool itself by its design.  The original poster indicated his Engine temp was above the flash point of the oil.  Unless the engine had been modified, I should think that there would be an underlying problem causing the excessive heat. That probem should be identified.

I have seen times that folks put oil coolers onto Air Cooled engines because they think that they need them, only to bring the oil and possibly the engine down below the optimum operating temperature. This  can add sludge to the oil, perhaps keeping it too thick to circulate adequately producing hot spots in the motor. In an air cooled engine the oil system is a critical component in the engine cooling process.

When I am not in the wind on the ground, I am in the wind in the air.  I fly a Powered Paraglider that is largely home-built, by me.  For a power plant I used a Briggs & Stratton V-Twin Generator Engine.  The Engine came stock with an external spin on filter and oil cooler.  After mounting it in front of a 64 inch propeller and only flying for and hour or two on cool evenings my temperature gauge (oil temp gauge) indicated that my motor was not even generating enough heat reliably dry out condensation in the crank case.  Obviously a potentially catastrophic condition to any engine, let alone one in the air.   So to rectify the problem, I insulted the spin on filter and bypassed he cooler.  Since I am using the engine for a purpose other then the one it was designed for so (short runs and running in a cool environment)  the design needed to be addressed.

I know there is not a lot of historical data regarding our UCE Engines, but I would like to hear the thoughts of anyone with some knowledge on this topic.  I have read chinoy's posts here, and he clearly is very knowledgeable, and I am sure in his particular application he is right,  but I think the topic warrants more conversation.

-Quinn
Any other Enfields in New England?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 04:06:45 pm
Needs and conditions vary.
Typical practice with oil coolers is to use a blocking plate or cover over them when conditions are not favorable for their use.
Other options might be thermostatic by-pass.
Home of the Fireball 535 !