Author Topic: If you dont go for a ride on new years day then you must have a very good reason  (Read 15574 times)

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
The bike & I are both broke!
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Well, I got my ride in today. 33 miles at 37 degrees, the summer gloves and mesh jacket (even with the insulated liner), just don't cut it. I have to find my winter gloves.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:29:36 pm by daves02ES »
2002 Bullet ES

rick505

• Bulleteer
I made a short ride today.  Supposed to be mid 40's here.  Went out for a chicken Burrito.  Must be a Southwest thing.   :)

In any case, hit 2900 miles while riding  Must be a milestone.  Hey wait...I recall a bunch of service at 5000 km.  I think that translates to 3k miles,  Crap, need to perform maintenance again soon.

Happy New Year.
Rick

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Redcat,

I like your boat. Reminds me of a Novi hull from the old lobster boats.

What is she and what are her specs?

I imagine she would work fine out here in the Straits as well. I often imagine acquiring (oh, that bucket list thing..) a small boat with which to explore the NW waters.

In Sept. of '07 my wife and I took the Tacoma with camping gear and the canoe and bummed around Vancouver Island for a week. As far north as Port Hardy on the east and Winter Harbor on the west. But poking around the island along the coast would be a neat way of exploration.

I can't add more pics to this entry so I will add another with road pics.
-Jesse
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Damp,cold, raining cats and dogs by the bucket full in my town. Riding anyway.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
I would like to try Vancouver Island again many times!  I think the Enfield might be a neat way to go on the rough roads if I could deal with the dust and the huge logging trucks. On the aforementioned canoe/camping trip, the truckers were on strike and we had all the back roads to ourselves.

The roads are roughly graveled, or dusty, or muddy depending on... and we had to use 4-wheel drive in several areas especially over recent landslide repairs.

The scenery on Vancouver Island is unbelievable, whether by truck, bike or boat. You can camp out (pic), stay in motels, B&B's, or in a beachfront cabin (pic). Oh, yes, there are paved roads too, but they are more or less express routes up the spine of the island or town to town coastal routes (most great places are by gravel). Me thinks it would be too too wet to do this on New years. We got soaked good at Winter Harbor in late Sept. and had to do jumping jacks to warm up at Schoen Lake breakfast.

BTW, it is pouring rain here today on New Years and I  got pretty wet just going out to fill the bird feeders this A.M.. So, no ride, nor canoe outing today...  :O(  BUT !!..we are gathering at a friend's for a hardy meal of Navy bean & ham soup over fresh cornbread. (Mmmmm, the soup is upstairs in the crockpot and there might be a bit less of it making it to the gathering..:O) A few bottles of Nut Brown might be just the ticket, too!

Happy New Year Everyone! May it be a better year for all than was 2009!
-jcw
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Ice, where are you? We have St.Bernards and Newfoundies pouring out of the sky today. Our dogs were running for cover.

-Jesse, on the Oly. Pen.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
I actually got out for a short ride today. Temps were in the high '50s, the rain stopped for a while and we actually got some sun for a couple of hours. I was only able to get out for about 45 minutes, but I didn't pass up the opportunity. A couple of shots from my New Year's day ride...

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x188/JJack521/IMG_4669.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x188/JJack521/IMG_4665.jpg

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Ahem Errr---well i was going to go for a ride, and I did fully intend to do so but the Missus cought me on the way out and dragged me back to the house. I had a nice morning doing some painting.
   But I could look out of the window and see the RE standing in the driveway ready to go.

She explained to me that painting was more productive and I could go for a short ride without using too much petrol next week some time. ::)
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Ice, where are you? We have St.Bernards and Newfoundies pouring out of the sky today. Our dogs were running for cover.

-Jesse, on the Oly. Pen.

I'm N.E. of Oly.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Ahem Errr---...  She explained to me that painting was more productive and I could go for a short ride without using too much petrol next week some time. ::)

I don't know clamp, that doesn't sound like a very good reason to me.   ::)
2002 Bullet ES

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Quote from: clamp
...leave the wife in the kitchen washing up...

...the Missus cought me on the way out and dragged me back to the house.

LOL!

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
...leave the wife in the kitchen washing up...

...the Missus cought me on the way out and dragged me back to the house.

"LOL!"  slider

Yes, Br. Slide, it does sound like the "Missus" clamped down on the planned escapades of one Br. Clampo!!!  :D
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Replaced the 80 year old clay drain tile in my back yard after it plugged up for good Chrstmas eve........would rather have been riding!
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
    I did a ride on New Years day, but have to admit it wasn't on my Bullet. I took my 2007 Yamaha XT225, which has taken over the spot my KLR650 used to have (until I traded it) as my bad weather bike. I haven't ridden the Bullet in really heavy rain yet, so would be a little worried about possible electrical problems in a downpour. I also commute on the Yamaha to the HD/Buell (still have one Blast left) I work at.Just before the holidays we had about a two week period when we were breaking cold temperature records here in western Wa. State. Some days it got down to maybe 15-18 degrees. I rode the XT225.There was no snow and the roads were in pretty good shape. The ride is only 7.5 miles each way, but it was cold!! The Bullet starts fine when it gets really cold, but takes quiet a long warmup, and would have a tendancy to build up that nasty looking milky substance on the dipstick from not getting the oil hot enough. The Yamaha has never don that to me, though the KLR650 water cooled certainly  did in the cold. I also figure that the Yamaha will get me through any obstacles I might encounter, and I still have some of the off road skills I learned when I started riding at eight years old. I figure, should I drop a bike, I'd rather it be the Yamaha than my Bullet or Sportster too, as it's more made to take it.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii