Author Topic: Malfunction indicator beeps  (Read 3056 times)

bergerac

• Scooter
on: January 06, 2010, 05:35:25 am
G5. I'm just pre-empting an on-the-road problem, hope it never happens...

I've read somewhere that if the malfunction indicator starts flashing, you lift the seat orf , find a loose wire,  put that to earth, count the flashes to find out what's wrong. (My service manual is on order from Gordon May). Taking the seat off, I've found a loose greeny/blue female bullet connector and a loose 6 terminal white connector. If the item in question is the female bullet connector, I'd have to make up a wire with a free end and a male bullet plug.   

Only done 100 kms on the G5 so far, checked the brake light - not working. Bulb ok, The brake switch plunger wasn't being pulled enough. (Is there an adjustment?) Otherwise the spring must have stretched. Temporarily fixed problem by backing off rear brake adjust, now means quite a long movement of brake pedal.

cheers Larry
2009 Black G5

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 02:39:34 pm
Hi Bergerac
If you look under "another one bites the dust" reply No 9 (May'09) on this UCE forum, you will find a posting by Kevin on the blinking sequences of the MIL.
This may help
Martyn

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:53:57 pm
It's the "greeny/blue female bullet connector".
I made up a wire with a male connector on one end and a female on the other and  another wire with a male on 1 end and a ring terminal on the other.
Put the ring terminal on the bolt that holds the rollover switch on.
Ran them both over by the air filter and left em. If something goes wrong then all I have to do is pull the side cover off and plug the 2 together and read the codes.
The only time I needed it I was packed up to the max and taking the seat off out in the middle of nowhere was out of the question. This mod made it easy to check it without tearing the bike apart.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

bergerac

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:09:37 pm
Hi Bergerac
If you look under "another one bites the dust" reply No 9 (May'09) on this UCE forum, you will find a posting by Kevin on the blinking sequences of the MIL.
This may help
Martyn

Thanks Martyn, have printed it out. Cheers
Larry
2009 Black G5

bergerac

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:12:42 pm
It's the "greeny/blue female bullet connector".
I made up a wire with a male connector on one end and a female on the other and  another wire with a male on 1 end and a ring terminal on the other.
Put the ring terminal on the bolt that holds the rollover switch on.
Ran them both over by the air filter and left em. If something goes wrong then all I have to do is pull the side cover off and plug the 2 together and read the codes.
The only time I needed it I was packed up to the max and taking the seat off out in the middle of nowhere was out of the question. This mod made it easy to check it without tearing the bike apart.
CJ

Thanks CJ, will make up a lead as you describe - a good mod.
cheers Larry

2009 Black G5