Author Topic: My wife bought me a cafe project for Christmas!  (Read 2469 times)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
on: December 22, 2009, 05:08:38 am
How cool is that! Well I found a '77 XS360 on Craigslist for $50 this morning. The pucker factor was pretty high while driving to pick up the bike because I had a feeling the price listed was missing a zero and it was about 100 mi. + round trip. So I get to the guys house and he tells me that he sold a '75 Kawi 500 triple earlier in the day and had priced this bike as a kinda pay it forward sale. Hey $50 for a complete motorcycle, I'm so stoked! I had found a complete XS650 two months back for KS Gerry so he could use the motor to stuff in his Bullet for $100 on Craigslist so I guess this is my payback for finding him that great deal.

I have been keeping my eye out for a 70's twin for a cafe project. I don't know one iota about this bike but figured someone on the forum does or maybe has owned one in the past. So any info that can be passed on would be great. The owner says the clutch pack needs replacing along with a coil and front brake lever. I would think the carbs need cleaning and rebuilding, fluids change, valve adjustment/check and maybe new point sets and adjustment. I will post a picture of this model which closely represents the bike I bought but will have to take some pictures of it soon.

So any cafe ideas? Some input would be welcomed.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:27:31 am by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 05:48:01 am
well ditch the plastic buy a solo seat different tank..  you know.. let your imagination run wild..  cool present.. I think I'm getting a tie..  but I don't own a suit :-\

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 06:02:26 am
well ditch the plastic buy a solo seat different tank..  you know.. let your imagination run wild..  cool present.. I think I'm getting a tie..  but I don't own a suit :-\

The plastic parts can go but I see no reason to ditch the tank. This is going to be a cheapo cafe.

2003 Classic 500 5 spd

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 03:58:42 pm
Well, there is a proper way to do a Japanese cafe bike,which would be in keeping with the way they were done "back in the day".

And that would be to keep the tank and the seat, put on one of those universal "Viper" quarter fairings around the headlight, and swap out the exhaust system for a flat black Kerker 2-into-1 header, and put on some drag bars or clubman bars..
A set of rear shocks with oil reservoirs would round-out the package quite accurately.

That's the way it was done back then, with the Japanese bikes, and it would be authentic.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 05:01:03 pm
Well, there is a proper way to do a Japanese cafe bike,which would be in keeping with the way they were done "back in the day".

And that would be to keep the tank and the seat, put on one of those universal "Viper" quarter fairings around the headlight, and swap out the exhaust system for a flat black Kerker 2-into-1 header, and put on some drag bars or clubman bars..
A set of rear shocks with oil reservoirs would round-out the package quite accurately.

That's the way it was done back then, with the Japanese bikes, and it would be authentic.

I don't know about keeping the seat, I think it would be better to sell it and any other bits I remove. The bike weighs in at 388 fully loaded so it wouldn't hurt to shed a few lb's. If I can find a 2 into 1 Kerker for cheap I may buy it but I might just replace the mufflers. Same thing with the shocks. I do have a line on a viper fairing for about $40 (new) and will probably go with the Ace bars.

Like I previously stated, this is is going to be a cafe build done on the cheap. I'm fortunate to have a motorcycle salvage business just around the corner from me to save time and money. Checking on line it seems there are a few guys with XS360 cafe's in town that are pretty modified, so will try to contact them for some ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions Ace. I'm not sure which way I want to go with this, old old school or new old school, have plenty of time to plan it out. Maybe OSNS!  ;D
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 05:28:10 pm
     Before you get too far into this, here is some info you probably don't have: This bike was made only in 1976 and early 1977, when the XS400 replaced it. A lot of 400 stuff will fit, but even for that parts are not very available. You should have no trouble with clutch plates, sprockets, or other common type items. A lot of other stuff will have to be adapted. MAC makes a 2/1 pipe for the 400. I don't know if it will fit the 360. I have not seen an XS360 in over 10 years, or a running one in the past 20. I am still a crabby old guy and probably as familiar with this bike as anyone will be. You can call me at
1-866-VINCEMC if you want any help.
     If your wife bought you a project like this she either loves you a whole bunch,  or is setting you up. Keep us up to date!

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 06:51:07 pm
That is the problem with Japanese bikes of that era, In themselves they are straightforward and perfectly decent machines but minor spare parts - that on a Bullet would be commonly available at pocket money prices - can prove to be expensive/hard to find.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 09:12:24 pm
    Before you get too far into this, here is some info you probably don't have: This bike was made only in 1976 and early 1977, when the XS400 replaced it. A lot of 400 stuff will fit, but even for that parts are not very available. You should have no trouble with clutch plates, sprockets, or other common type items. A lot of other stuff will have to be adapted. MAC makes a 2/1 pipe for the 400. I don't know if it will fit the 360. I have not seen an XS360 in over 10 years, or a running one in the past 20. I am still a crabby old guy and probably as familiar with this bike as anyone will be. You can call me at
1-866-VINCEMC if you want any help.
     If your wife bought you a project like this she either loves you a whole bunch,  or is setting you up. Keep us up to date!

:D :D :D :D  Set up? Your probably right, she will definitely make me pay for this nice gesture of hers someday.

I will work on firing it off first and thoroughly check out the motor/gearbox. If motor and gearbox are OK then it should be simple to sort out the rest.

I will give you a shout if any questions need answering.

Thanks Vince

P.S. - I live around the corner from Bent Bike, chances are they have a few parts for this bike in the back.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:14:58 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd