Author Topic: Some new-owner Doubts.  (Read 9214 times)

elan

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 05:51:57 pm
Maybe I am just thick!, but isnt static timing set with engine not running? Thank god I have a classic.

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 06:03:54 pm
Your probably right.

Normally its done at a pre-defined RPM. Because you need the engine to be actually running to check it with a strobe.
i.e. 8 Deg at Idle / 24 Deg at 3500 RPM etc.

Id love to see a picture of the 24 tooth trigger wheel.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 07:28:12 pm
Thank you Ji
Dam I must get my hands on a service manual.

Do they say how much data the Eprom can store.
LOL so they know exactly how you've been running in your bike if things go south.

From the looks of it. The Ignition seems to be TCI not CDI.
Should be pretty easy to hook up a better ignition like the MSD or my own.

That 5 Deg Static timing is really bugging me.
How can any engine run on 5 Deg. ! That too static.
It has to change based on Map and RPM.

Do they say anything about the ignition timing in the book.

I'm certain that ignition timing will be automatically adjusted by the ECU, depending on what it reads from all the sensors.
The "static" timing is just the place you set it up, so that the ECU knows where it's starting out at.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

motocamp

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 03:43:49 am
The timing advance on the efi 500 I believe is from 5 degrees btdc to 27 degrees btdc.

once  the TPS senses the butterfly is past 40 degrees the timing   changes to a slightly different curve.

So you have two slightly different  timing curves at cruising and wot.    

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:16:39 am by motocamp »

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 04:44:13 am
Thank you Ji
Do they say how much data the Eprom can store.
LOL so they know exactly how you've been running in your bike if things go south.

That 5 Deg Static timing is really bugging me.
How can any engine run on 5 Deg. ! That too static.
It has to change based on Map and RPM.
Do they say anything about the ignition timing in the book.

Yes, they know exactly what happens when things go south.  There is E2PROM - Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory that automatically records breakdown information.  It stores data even when the electricity is off.  There was no mention of the capacity as to how much data is stored.

Secondly, about crank position sensor - there are 23 short and 1 long protrusion on the alternator.  The long protrusion is located at 5 degrees before top dead center and is used as a reference mark for crankshaft position.  The position censor sends an alternating voltage signal to powertrain control module to determine engine speed and ingnition timing.  

The book also states that ECU cuts off fuel supply to injector if engine runs beyond maximum rated speed 5500 rpm and engine will stall and rpm will reduce to rated operating rpms for safety of moving engine parts.  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 04:46:23 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 10:47:58 am
Wow so they are limiting piston speed to 16.5 M/sec that is pretty conservative.

Singh Ji do you have a legend for the Text used in the last scan i.e. what is
NR/NLSW/PG1/PG2 i.e. what do these text stand for. ?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 05:43:39 am
Singh Ji do you have a legend for the Text used in the last scan i.e. what is
NR/NLSW/PG1/PG2 i.e. what do these text stand for. ?

The ignition circuit shows PG1 going to Fuel Pump (pressure gauge ?), NLSW goes to clutch switch (neutral switch ?). 

PG2, not sure but appears to be some sort of ground.  NR is nowhere to be found in the circuit yet.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 10:56:03 am
Have started to tear into the engine.
Lotsa fun. Lotsa things that can be done.

The first observation.
The diffrence in engine note has nothing to do with the Emmision norms or the sound norms or the exhaust design.

The engine sounds different. Because the cams are diffirent.
The new cams are more closelly related to a screaming eagle Harley cam than they are to the old bullet cam. Which is a good thing.

If somebody could figure out a way to install the new cams onto an older bullet. It would good power.
Small hickcup. Old setup is 20 teeth on crank and 40 on the cam gear.
This one is 19 on the crank and 38 on the cam. If it wanst for this little difference. They bolt right one.

The run in and freeing up has less to do with your piston / liner gear box. And more to do with your valve springs going from absurdly stiff to normal.
The springs are so strong. Its hard to degree the cam. The pressure of the springs is enough to rotate the engine even in gear.

There are no 24 teeth. Only 23 short bumps and one bump which is slightly larger than the rest.

Its a regular pickup coil. Same as used on almost every motor cycle. From the RZ to the latest 4 strokes in the country. Its a high quality pickup coil. At over 200 Ohms. It produces one of the strongest signals Ive seen to date. Very clear signal on the scope.

The coil is triggered just like any other bike. By Bumps on the Magnetic Drum.
The Drum is pretty good. Only weighs 1.2 Kgs which is pretty light.
Very good quality parts where ever you look.