Author Topic: SAAB cars wound up  (Read 9113 times)

Matthew Harris

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 07:12:25 am
"Quirky"? "Unusual"? How dare you....
Loved the photo, thanks.  Mine was red, V4 Ford motor.  Wish I still had that car!
2000 Bullet 500 Classic- Green
REA 42

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 08:46:25 am
That old SAAB is just great. It oozes that Citroenesque, more-than-just-a-car quality that so intrigued me when I was a kid.

Citroen 2CV - a genuine 600 kg car, hence the frugal fuel consumption. Our vehicle manufacturers should have the humility to look back over their shoulders once in a while so that they can see some some good ideas, instead of goofing around in their CAD software.

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 02:00:31 pm
  When I left Germany in '92 for the last time tried to get a "Duck" imported here.  Quirky and fun, alas couldn't have one imported.  really loved the push-pull shifter in it and the roll back top.  They cost a 4K at the time.  And fuel mileage was unreal.  Will.

Hey Will, what do you mean by "Duck"? A Trabant?

Jeff

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 02:27:54 pm
That old SAAB is just great. It oozes that Citroenesque, more-than-just-a-car quality that so intrigued me when I was a kid.

Citroen 2CV - a genuine 600 kg car, hence the frugal fuel consumption. Our vehicle manufacturers should have the humility to look back over their shoulders once in a while so that they can see some some good ideas, instead of goofing around in their CAD software.

Maybe they did. Every wreck I saw involving a Citroen produced car for the three years in Europe had the Citroen quartered and body parts strewn about the highway.
No thanks, I would never touch a French car.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 03:07:53 pm
Maybe they did. Every wreck I saw involving a Citroen produced car for the three years in Europe had the Citroen quartered and body parts strewn about the highway.
No thanks, I would never touch a French car.

The idea is NOT to wreck one ..... That idea has served me pretty well for 30 years of driving .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 06:37:54 pm
 " Is that a running 2 stroker?  Very nice.  Will."

Yes,she is....840cc...46 ponies....85+MPH top speed(compared to the VW's
leisurely 62 MPH max of the same year((1962)).

If it's an interesting 'stroker',I have to say that I have either: 1) owned it
 2) presently own it OR  3) Plan to own it

Next on the 'list' is a DKW Munga...."Deek"  Haven't found one yet in private ownership
for sale that's worth buying here in the States. Best of the very few good examples are across the pond...

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 07:23:28 pm
Hey Will, what do you mean by "Duck"? A Trabant?

Jeff

Trabants are cool until the treated cardboard and fiber catch fire or get hit by a bus.  No in Germany the Germans called the 2CV Citroen a duck..many people even had duck decals on there's.  Hence the nickname the duck.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

flintweld

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 07:53:36 pm
When I first met my wife she was driving a Citroen Truckette
That was a cool little rig, they both got my attention!

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 08:26:06 pm
I once had a DS 21.I restored the interior and a lot of the hydraulics.It was just a fantastic car.I sold it because I had to.I miss it.I would get another one the minute I could.But no rust is a must.This is a car one must drive to appreciate,perhaps,but not far.I also had a SAAB 96 3cyl.Great little car.Did 60 mph on gravel,felt safe.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 09:17:43 pm
The thing about the Citroen DS is that it wasn't just styled on the outside, it was DS right down to the bone and a thing of engineering wonder.

Modern cars are so often built around a generic floor pan with exterior styling panels of choice bolted on.

Check out the second sentence of this Wikipedia write-up on the Fiat 500 retro car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Nuova_500

They actually took the soul out of the thing on the drawing board.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:19:59 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 11:17:21 pm
Well Scooter B, of course the idea isn't to wreck. Quite the opposite. But the other drivers are your problem most of the time. Good luck to you.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 01:09:15 am
Well Scooter B, of course the idea isn't to wreck. Quite the opposite. But the other drivers are your problem most of the time. Good luck to you.

As I've said, the program has worked pretty well for 30 years. Oh, yeah - I've had a few "offs" on the bike - but none in the car, I don't consider THAT an accident. All the "offs" on the bikes, save for two - were MY fault. I'll admit that. When you are driving, you have to be aware of the fools around you and how they behave. I've found that it helps not blabbing on a cell phone, not fiddling with the radio and having a hundred OTHER distractions like the common idiot who ends up, upside down in the ditch, bleeding and can't figure out WHY? Driving little sh1t-box cars will tune you in to all those Chevrolet SubDivisions out there with the phone-yakking soccer moms driving them. Luck has little to do with it .... paying attention to the other drivers who you KNOW are idiots does ......

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 12:17:49 pm
I hear what your saying SB. Just like riding your bike. Those Chevy 'Sub-Divisions' can double up on you though.

Except when pick-ups were needed my all time favorite was the Volvo 240 Wagon. It would work like a truck and get 33 mpg doing it.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 02:12:43 pm
Yeah - The old 240 Volvo Wagon was a JEWEL!! I put a turbo motor in one that I had and lowered it and used the wheels from the Coupe' ..... it was a rocket (for a WAGON ...) and could still haul eight-foot lumber with the gate shut!! Hahahaha!!  I also made one with a tired diesel into a "Volvrolet" with a luke-warm small block and an auto trans - plus A/C, power steering, cruise control and all the goodies! It was an absolute HOOT as the diesel diffy was like a 4.56:1 ratio ..... I left all the "DIESEL" badges on it, too .... It was the very definition of "Stoplight Surprise" ..... Heeheehee!!!

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 03:38:09 pm
  Actually her's something I like that reall isn't a car but incoporates two of my faves.  Vespa and Vanagon..from an old picture file from Germany.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.