Author Topic: SAAB cars wound up  (Read 9139 times)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 19, 2009, 07:17:58 pm
I guess that SAAB never made much of an impression on the American car market but over in Europe, 30 odd years ago, they were turning out innovative, even quirky, vehicles and the company benefited from terrific levels of brand loyalty.

GM took them over a while back but seemed completely blind to the original qualities of SAAB products that made them great. Over time, the cars evolved into bland Euro-boxes. Now GM have pulled the plug and SAAB is to be wound up.

Dumb and sad. We have seen this negative Midas touch so many times. Just look what BMC did with Riley, Wolseley and MG.

Imagine if Honda took over RE and set about fixing up the company real nice.

Independence and creative control are worth more than gold, I think. Maybe Mr Buell would agree.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 08:04:55 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 07:41:23 pm
  Saab was always a very nice car before GM..safe, relaiable and cost efficient.  Ford basically has done the same to Jaguar.. boring, unimaginative, and expensive.  A shell of their former company.  GM even killed it's one true recent offspring when they closed Saturn.  Don't make affordable reliable cars for the working class, keep producing what everyone must have.  A huge SUV that gulps gas and gets sub-rotten fuel mileage.  I'm standing in line to buy one right now....
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 08:12:19 pm
Of course, poor old Jaguar was dumbed down by BMC, long before Ford got around to extracting the last of the flair and creativity from the company.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 04:11:42 am
I remember only too well the reputation of the British Leyland (BMC) Jags.  The steel used for the body panels was so poor, you could just about stand and watch a Jag rust away if you had a half hour to spare!  That and the fact that they were notoriously unreliabel and of course hideously expensive to buy, run and fix.
  Can't see that Ford have made them any worse (how could they).  I imagine they are at least reasonably reliable these days.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 06:54:25 am
  All Ford picked Jag up for was to steal styling ideas.  Look at Lincolns..what do they bear a strong resemblance to?  Volvo and Saab were probably picked up for the same ideas.  Styling, safety, performance.  Hopefully Jag and Volvo don't suffer the same fate as Saab.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 04:11:10 pm
I am a fan of Saab, Volvo AND Jaguar cars for much the same reason that I'm an Enfield fan. They all speak volumes to me about hand craftsmanship, good design and uniqueness. It's a shame that Saab couldn't have found a buyer to return the company to its original, innovative glory. Quirky? Unusual? Slightly fussy - but always gets you there? I'll take it! It's a good thing that RE is quite healthy and has no intentions of making anything BUT the Royal Enfield in the way that it was intended to be.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 04:27:04 pm
Then think of Citroen. They made themselves dull and orthodox to save anybody else the trouble.

They used to make the fabulous Citroen DS, now they just make cars!
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 05:20:34 pm
I think it's the desire to be all things to all people. Once you turn a niche vehicle into a one-size-fits-all car, you've killed it.

I once read a letter to the editor in a car mag in which a gentleman said, "I love the Miata as a classic roadster, but why don't they make it a bit longer and wider, add a back seat for those of us with families, four doors, and maybe a hardtop."

Funny as that sounds, I don't think the guy was joking. And, isn't that what car company execs have been doing for decades? Taking wonderful niche vehicles like sports cars, muscle cars, true off-roaders, and watering them down in an effort to widen the appeal? People abandon the brand when that happens, and the same execs are oblivious to what just happened, so they pick another niche vehicle and try the same thing.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 05:46:56 pm
I spent alot of time working on Jags, and have owned some too.
I think the old 3.8 and 4.2 litre straight six were excellent engines.
But, after I owned a 12 cylinder XJS, I was amazed at how good that engine was.
For a long time before I got one, I thought they were over-kill, and too complicated.
But after owning one for a while, and since i was already accustomed to what went wrong with them and how to fix them, I thought that 12-cyl was a magnificent engine.
I sadly lamented the end of that engine, and after that, Jag used all Ford engines in the Jags, and it was the end for Jaguar.

For any Jag enthusiast, the XJS is a superb car, and a bargain on the used market.
They do take alot of maintenance, and will cost alot for parts, but once you get into them and know how they tick, they are not hard to work on, and are remarkably good engines.
I loved mine,which was a 1988 roadster, converted from a hardtop by some company  in FL, before Jag began making the convertible in 1989.
You'll never drive anything smoother than that car. It's awesome. And the power delivery is really nice. Has a GM auto trans, so tranny work is no problem, but mine never needed any. The rear suspension is exactly the same as the old E-type, and the front uses coil springs and does away with that old torsion bar setup that the E-type had. It handled great.
Loved it.
I had it until a giant tree fell onto it in the yard, and crushed it like an egg. That was a sad day.

Regarding the SAAB, I worked on them during the late 1970s, when the 99E was just beginning.
That 99E engine was a piece of shit.
The Triumph TR7 had the same engine in it. POS.
My favorite SAAB was the Sonnet III sports coupe.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:51:58 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 07:12:11 pm
Then think of Citroen. They made themselves dull and orthodox to save anybody else the trouble.

They used to make the fabulous Citroen DS, now they just make cars!

I had a Deux Chaveau (2CV) and absolutely LOVED that little car ..... it got a kabillion miles to the gallon, was easier than a lawn mower to fix and you could the eyes out of it with impunity ...... and those sling seats were remarkably comfy. What more could a fellow want? Two farmers, forty kilos of potatoes, forty kilometers per hour - off road .... the perfect design parameters for a perfect little car, I say .....  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 07:22:01 pm
I had a Deux Chaveau (2CV) and absolutely LOVED that little car ..... it got a kabillion miles to the gallon, was easier than a lawn mower to fix and you could the eyes out of it with impunity ...... and those sling seats were remarkably comfy. What more could a fellow want? Two farmers, forty kilos of potatoes, forty kilometers per hour - off road .... the perfect design parameters for a perfect little car, I say .....  ;)

Man, I've always wanted one of those!

Eamon
Eamon

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 07:58:27 pm
  When I left Germany in '92 for the last time tried to get a "Duck" imported here.  Quirky and fun, alas couldn't have one imported.  really loved the push-pull shifter in it and the roll back top.  They cost a 4K at the time.  And fuel mileage was unreal.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 04:20:23 am
"Quirky"? "Unusual"? How dare you....

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 04:35:24 am
  All Ford picked Jag up for was to steal styling ideas.  Look at Lincolns..what do they bear a strong resemblance to?  Volvo and Saab were probably picked up for the same ideas.  Styling, safety, performance.  Hopefully Jag and Volvo don't suffer the same fate as Saab.  Will.

Too funny, I say that ALL the time, my 99 Lincoln Continental is a Towncar up front and a jag in the back. 
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 04:37:36 am
"Quirky"? "Unusual"? How dare you....

Is that a running 2 stroker?  Very nice.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.