Author Topic: Winterization  (Read 6166 times)

ZoomZoom

• Scooter
on: November 09, 2007, 12:04:40 pm
I'm curious wht rituals everyone performs to winterize their bikes... ???

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 01:08:56 pm
Hey Zoom,
I guess I learned my winterizing techniques when I owned a 65 Cadillac that slept for the cold Michigan months. Its not much different from what I do for the bikes now the Caddy is gone. I do whatever servicing is needed except the oil change, wash it, lube everything thats needs lubing, suit up and take it out for a nice ride to get it good and hot. Then return home, change the oil and filter, and then go for a short ride, fill up with gas stabilizer and a full tank of gas, and return home.

Make sure the cylinders at TDC, give everything the once over and finally remove the battery, and over inflate the tires a few pounds. When its cooled down, I plug the exhaust, cover it with a soft cover and then I put 'em in of those zip up storage bags with a dessicant cylinder. Come spring, they're as shiney as were when you put them away, and start right up. I usually shove a old piece of carpet under the front tire to stop the chances of getting any flat spots. More of a problem for cars than bikes.

Man, I never realized what a hassle that was, until I wrote it all down! Obviously the Enfield takes a bit more prepping than my other less maintenance intensive machine does, but the whole ordeal takes a few hours at most. Then its goodbye until spring. The one year I didn't do all that, I had a hell of time starting the bike come spring.

If you don't know what the bags are that I mentioned, you can see them here:
www.carbag.com
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 04:25:13 pm
My winterization always consisted of thermal underwear, several wooly jumpers and a bloody good pair of gloves!!! ;D

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:45:37 pm
For two, I will be changing the oil, putting them away in the barn under covers, and putting stabil into the gas tanks.

On the other, I will maybe put a windshield on, change the pusher tire, and ride it all winter.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 05:45:21 pm
* Change the oil and filter.

* Fill up the gas tank.

* Put Sta-Bil into the gas tank per instructions.

* Start the bike up and let it idle for at least 5 miutes.  On the center stand put the bike in gear and spray Chain Wax on the moving chain (make sure the rear wheel is off the ground).  Put the bike back in neutral.

* While idling, shut off the fuel petcock and let it run till the engine quits.  This drains the carb float bowl and also allows Sta-Bil into the combustion chamber.

* Remove the spark plug and spray silicon spray or WD40 into the combustion chamber.  Re-install the plug.

* Remove the battery and store in a controlled environment.  Trickle charge it every 30 days or use a battery tender.

* Cover the bike in a dry garage.  Stuff a shop rag into the muffler opening.

* Kick the engine over evey 30 days using the kickstarter.

* Ready for Spring.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

LJRead

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:47:12 pm
We're entering summer here - I guess (hard to tell the difference)- winterization?  What's that?  :D

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 03:43:11 am
winter rituals>>>>>>>  execize by using the kick staretr..  work ones self into a sweat...  take off upper layer of polertec...   stand in mid a air a bit more... ???

use the thumb..  wander around the garage listening to a very nice beat ..

.......addicted to exhaust fumes........

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 09:34:35 am
I fill up the tank

Check the fluids and top off as necessary

Check the tires

Put on my heavy windbreaker

Then I get on the bike and ride.

I love living in Hawaii,  Summer all year round.  I just wish it was a little cheaper.  Oh well you can't have everything I guess.  Where would you put it all anyways?
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 12:50:47 pm
Just curious, but how much is a gallon of regular there.  I paid $3.14 here in Kansas yesterday.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 02:11:31 pm
Regular, 87 octane, is about 3.29 gal. and premium, 92 octane, is about $3.33 gal.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 10:38:16 pm
Bike winterizing.......pull it in my bike building......charge battery once or twice. If gas goes bad (it won't, high test doesn't seem to degrade as fast as regular) the bike will still start in the spring because with 6.5:1 compression it will probably run on panther piss. Start it a few times or at least kick it over. When spring comes, change oil and filter, check air in tires (that India rubber is so thick it usually doesn't loose any), kickstart, and ride away. Gas here in Ky, about 5 miles from the refinery, is $3.05 per gallon at Kroger. That was yesterday anyway, may have gone up.....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 09:01:58 pm
My winterization is to switch from Bud (regular is light enough for me) to some of the finer microbrewery's. As far as my bikes & other infernal combustion vehicles, I usually turn off the gas, and wait for spring!  I've never done any winterization, and they all fire up like I rode em yesterday. :D
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on