Author Topic: unestable idling speed and slowly throttle off  (Read 4764 times)

donkey

• Scooter
on: November 14, 2007, 10:24:08 pm
Thats the problem. First I suposse it was maybe by a bad low idling tuning, but riching or leaning the problem remains, 'cause rich or lean the throttle go off so slowly when I turn it, same from low speeds that high speeds, the throttle it's seems stuck.
"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Café Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
-------------------------------
Café Racer CB400SS
Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 10:36:46 pm
Will the engine eventually return to a normal idle when you shut the throttle?

Thats the problem. First I suposse it was maybe by a bad low idling tuning, but riching or leaning the problem remains, 'cause rich or lean the throttle go off so slowly when I turn it, same from low speeds that high speeds, the throttle it's seems stuck.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

krodaddy

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 12:22:23 am
Look for an air leak around the intake, the rubber manifolds are prone to splitting. I've been thru 2 of em.
Krodaddy

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 04:29:15 am
Loosen the clamps on the carb rubber boots after removing the air cleaner assembly.

Gently turn the the carb where the throttle cable entering the slide cap is facing more toward you.

Unscrew the carb slide cap and gently pull the slide out.

Check for hardened cosmoline grease on the slide - clean it off with kerosene.

Have a buddy pull on the slide and holding the cap, while you work the throttle, and check for any cable binding in the full range of mechanical travel.

If binding or roughness occurs, take off the cable at the slide cap and check for casting flash right in that area.  Will need a tiny model makers file to remove any casting imperfections.  Chances are this is where the binding will occur.

The exact same problem I had on my bike.  After fiddling with it for a long time - my dealer found the casting flash which slipped by me...

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 05:35:09 pm
Yep, sounds like an air leak......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 05:46:11 pm
         Another common problem is the tank may be pinching the cable. Make sure the cable is free under the tank. Sometimes I have to loosen the carb and tilt it slightly to the left to keep the cable from rubbing or binding on the inner edge of the tank. And, as has been mentioned, check the intake hose. you should also check the manifold mount at the cylinder head.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 06:36:06 pm
With the engine off, open the throttle with the twist-grip and then release it.  See if you can hear the throttle slide falling back with a little "clunk".  If you can't hear this, the throttle slide or cable may be sticking.  If you can hear it, then the problem is not the throttle slide or cable and may be an air-leak.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

donkey

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 09:38:25 am
Check. The throttle cable was sticking between the spine of the frame and the tank. Totally clipped at 3 or 4 cm to the carb-trottle calbe rubber cap.
Now the throttle is free and (after tune the carb) the bike is so smoooth and it's response normally at gas.
Thanks to all
"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Café Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Café Racer CB400SS
Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES