Author Topic: Carb changes after Ace filter  (Read 811 times)

scouse

• Scooter
on: December 17, 2009, 05:44:06 pm
If I put on the Ace filter what changes to I make to the standard carb on the 500 bullet.
Bearing in mind that I'm at sea level elevation

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 05:56:14 pm
I am at roughly the same elevation and have have a pretty rich jet (132 I think) to go with the Ace coffee can and free flow exhaust..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 06:00:44 pm
You'll need either a 27.5 or a 30 pilot jet.
Depends on the outside temps, and also some individual peculiarities between bikes.
The main jet will very likely need to be a 130.
The needle will probably need to be in the richest position, with the e-clip in the bottom groove.
That should get you close.
Start with the air bleed screw at 1.5 turns out from fully seated, and warm the bike up, and then find the fastest idle speed with the air bleed screw.
Then, lower the idle back to where you want it with the big-headed idle speed scew, and that should get you there. Maybe a little  bit of fine tuning in after that, in some cases.

At sea level, it's not uncommon to need a richer needle jet(P2), but you might see if you can get away okay without it, because it's 30 bucks for a new needle jet.

As Garbone mentions above, each bike is a little different,and I can only give you an approximate good guess for a jetting setup to start with. Then you have to tune it  in yourself from there.
You might need a little more or less than I recommend, depending on alot of things.
But, I think a 27.5 pilot and 130 main would be a real close start.
You might have to go a little richer because of the winter temps, but you might not.
It's an individual bike thing.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

scouse

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 06:17:59 pm
Thanks, Ace as you say that will get me started.