Author Topic: Speedometer drive  (Read 1931 times)

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
on: December 16, 2009, 03:27:27 pm
 On my 2000 Bullet It looks like the speedo drive is plastic, I see that there are steel drives available on the web that say This is the direct replacement to Original Part No. 110919. Does anyone know if this would fit my 2000.
Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:32:12 pm
Yes, they are interchangeable.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:35:26 pm
     I have tried this a couple of times. There are subtle dimensional differences. I could not get it to work. In one instance it would not even go on the axle. The only trouble I have had with the plastic covered drives have been with installing the wheel assembly into the forks. The plastic can crack if you are not careful to avoid a bind or interference. The innards are still metal.
     Ace has apparently had better luck than I had.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 06:02:25 pm
I'm surprised to read that Vince has had problems with these units.  My (plastic) drive seized up and I replaced it with a steel one.  The actual changing of one part for another was easy and problem-free. Where I did have a problem was removing the wheel nut in order to remove the seized plastic drive.  They seem to do these up rather tight at the factory.  Nothing I could think of would loosen this nut, so in the end I cut it off, having bought a stainless replacement first.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 10:21:14 pm
I saw a Indian catalog that had those steel drives in it and there were 2 different ones listed. Drum brake model and disk brake model.
I tried to put one on my G5 and the hole in the drive was too small. It fit on my 01 just fine.
Seems to work OK.
My 95 had a well built aluminum speedo drive that polished up real purdy. When I got my 99 it had ugly plastic one. Luckily at that time most of the places that were selling Enfield parts still had the aluminum ones on the shelf.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 10:46:44 pm
     My issue was manufacturing tolerances on both the drive and the bikes. I have been a dealer since '99. The manufacturing process has been MUCH improved.

Edward

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 04:04:17 pm
Like Vince i have seen these drives with slightly different dimensions,
Edward

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 04:12:55 pm
Like Vince i have seen these drives with slightly different dimensions,
Edward

That's why the people that build RE's are fitters not assemblers. It's nice to have a bin of 100 of these things to pick the one that fits the bike that's going by at the moment.
Just like ordering motor sprockets, order 20 of em and send the 19 that don't fit back.

Plus the Smiths drives that all these are patterned off of weren't exactly stellar either.
I have one to replace on my Triumph right now. This will be the 3rd one.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 04:17:45 pm
That's why the people that build RE's are fitters not assemblers. It's nice to have a bin of 100 of these things to pick the one that fits the bike that's going by at the moment.

CJ

Boy! - That's very well put ..... and really true! Except for the new engine - that little jewel is Honda quality from what I can measure ..... I figgered I could get a "hot rod" one by just playing the tolerance stack, like on an Iron Barrel ...... nay. Nay to ALL the parts that I measured that were DEAD NUTS the same .... it's sort of depressing in a way - you can't "stack" one and swear it's all stock when you smoke someone on the road!! Hahahaha!!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!