Author Topic: Ignition issues on freeway  (Read 2362 times)

emskee

• Scooter
on: December 15, 2009, 05:40:49 pm
Folks,

Coming in yesterday on the freeway 60 mph+/-, kind of cold at about 35 degrees out, it seemed like the C5 was only firing on one cylinder.

No, wait.....

Forget it.

Mike
1998 Harley Davidson XLH1200 (Gone)
2001 Victory Standard Cruiser (Gone)
2004 Victory Vegas (My buddy Danny has her)
2005 Ural Gear Up (Gone, With good people)
2009 C5 (Gave it back)
2010 C5 (Still at home)
2010 Ural Taiga (Ditto)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 05:50:39 pm
Hahaha!! You ALMOST got me there .....  ;) Seriously, though - that sort of temperature is a good test for the W-I-D-E mapping of the ECU ..... Gotta love it!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 09:54:17 pm
Nice one! Took mine in for its 500 mile service today which meant starting it up after the coldest night so far this winter. (It went below zero.) It was probably about plus 2 when I started it. Ditto when I collected it tonight and it was the same experience both times: that is it started well enough on the button but sounded like a bag of nails for a few seconds before settling into a nice idle. Guess the EFI is adjusting to conditions? Anyway, I took it for an 8 mile spin after the service despite the weather and it was going just great. Love this bike.  :)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 11:32:02 pm
Nice one! Took mine in for its 500 mile service today which meant starting it up after the coldest night so far this winter. (It went below zero.) It was probably about plus 2 when I started it. Ditto when I collected it tonight and it was the same experience both times: that is it started well enough on the button but sounded like a bag of nails for a few seconds before settling into a nice idle. Guess the EFI is adjusting to conditions? Anyway, I took it for an 8 mile spin after the service despite the weather and it was going just great. Love this bike.  :)

WHEW! You Da MAN! The coldest start + ride I ever did on one so far was like, 10 degrees early this year (last winter ...). When they are STONE cold like that, the lifters will sound off for a second or two until they get good enough oil pressure to overcome the valve spring tension. Rest assured that the roller bottom end is just fine with the oil that was left there from the LAST run .... The RE boys built the bottom end of this little motor out of dump truck rear wheel bearings! You are right about one running just FINE in the cold .... I think they like it better ... it must be like at the top of a Himalayan mountain peak!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 05:00:56 am
Cold air is denser air, therefore more oxygen and thanks to EFI, more fuel and more power.

I pity you poor G5/C5 owners ;). Missing out on the fun of tappet adjustments and seasonal jetting changes.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 02:26:40 pm
"I pity you poor G5/C5 owners . Missing out on the fun of tappet adjustments and seasonal jetting changes."  Ice

:D :D :D
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla