Author Topic: single carb on multi bike  (Read 9656 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 12:08:53 am
Good stuff...

Call me lazy,  but when I worked for a month getting my KZ650 running I went through the same types of issues.  After pulling the carbs for the 4th time to adjust the float on the or some such I realized why I love my RE so much.... 

On a side note  I put a new petcock on the thing from Z1 and the rubber rotted inside of a month because of the ethanol in our gas..  They replaced it free o charge, but the gas eats everything..  Luckily I had  put an in-line filter on the rig or those rotten bits would have screwed everything up.  As it is I only found that the petcock went bad when I pulled the tank to balance the carbs.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 06:24:46 pm
nothing wrong with stock carb set-up. i have 4-bs 32's on my gs and the re-build formula is probably far easier than a manifold set-up. first, see if you can get a complete o-ring set from www.cycleorings.com. The kit includes ALL o-rings you need: fuel tubes, vent lines, chokes, mix screw, etc. and they are very inexpensive, but of the material demanded by a carb. Airtight carbs will make a huge difference.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 07:08:30 pm by rideOn »
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 06:38:10 pm
  Does your set-up have the vacuum fuel petcock.  That one part on multi-Honda's (especially) always causes problems.  Weak diaphragm and all kind of stuff goes wacko.  Cracked vacuum hose can do the same thing.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 06:51:12 pm
  Does your set-up have the vacuum fuel petcock. 
good point!   :-\
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

j byrd

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 03:47:37 am
Evening, folks, I'm enjoying all the replies, just don't get on very often sometimes. Neither of the bikes has a vacuum petcock, only one of those I've had is on my 500 Suzuki Titan. Accurate info on the "O" rings and vacuum leaks, had those problems before, thankfully learned that lesson already. As I mentioned in an earlier post, thank goodness for the single carb on the Enfield, as well as the Harley and old 250 trail bike. Never any trouble, but this is what you get with technology- -even if it is 70's tech. My Honda buddies hate it when the old paint shakers start and the multi's won't. Of course, I do too, but they have quit teasing me about my HD and that "funny old looking bike" as they call the Enfield. Oh, well, I love 'em all, so I'll get 'em fixed. Thanks again, supposed to be in the mid 50's here tomorrow, so let's ride a bit !!  John
j byrd

j byrd

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 11:15:23 pm
Hey there, gang, I decided to soldier on with my single carb project for my wifes 500 Honda. This turned out to be an easy exercise and we are extremely pleased with the results. I bought an old chassis with the engine still in it, fab'd up a manifold out of square tube using the spare engine individual runners, a piece of scrap pipe, and a carb off a 500 Yamaha trail bike. So far I have nearly $90.00 in this project, and it does something none of our 4 cylinder bikes has ever done- - starts and runs instantly!!!  It is much more responsive, especially at low speeds, pulls strong, idles smoothly. PLUS- -it has been fun for about 3 days. This bike had not ran since 1986, so she is a happy girl. Gona' try to send construction pictures, sure am pleased with the results. And yes, did put Marvel Mystery oil in, fresh 93 octane gas, checked all items I could think of. The small vacuum line to the outboard Left manifold runner made all the difference in the world- -neat carb. John
j byrd

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 12:37:00 am
Looks like a nice job  to me.
I think it will be just fine, and it looks good too.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

j byrd

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 12:50:56 am
Thanks Ace, this has been fun, the throttle cable even hooked up with no mods!!  We are supposed to have two days of 60's temps, so she will be able to try it out for herself. I have not changed anything on the jetting or mixtures yet and am aware we may have to, but it fires instantly hot or cold, and doesn't surge, so we'll give it a couple of more trial days. Thanks for your response, means a lot, John
j byrd

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 02:08:50 am
That looks really good. I built one for an old 750 honda years ago and it ran great with a single carb, I think I used a bendix zenith carb from a Sportster on it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 06, 2010, 03:59:09 am
  What size/model carb you end up with?  Nice job on the fab.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

j byrd

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 04:14:54 am
Thanks guys, I'm so satisfied now, that if we were keeping the 79 CBX we have, that I would try a side-draft weber or such on it  to get rid of six carbs!  Since I'm not keeping it tho', won't try that.  1Blackwolf1, the carb is a Mikuni 34 mm off a Yamaha single- -seems like it is an 85 model. Knew no history about it, it just looked clean, so I fastened it on.  I knew one would be easier to take completely off and re-do than to even get the air box off the 4 carbs that were on it, so blind luck was with me on that one. Now my wife says  tomorrow she's gona' blow the doors off my Enfield.  I hate it when they're right. HA !!!   Thanks again,John
j byrd

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 04:38:26 am
  Time to make a bet with her winner buys dinner and drinks.   ;)  Then see who's faster.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.