Author Topic: anybody here race with their newer enfield in vintage  (Read 3369 times)

BRITX303

• Scooter
on: December 12, 2009, 03:30:06 pm
hey everybody im thinking about setting the bike up for racing.does anyone else here do vintage racing?also ive heard the newer bullets fall under vintage is this true to anyones knowledge?not enough younger guys are into older style bikes so vintage classes are dying out.im looking to get in before its too late.wera is having a hard time keeping it going i know so i think ahrma would be my way to go.any thoughts/input greatly appreciated.cheers

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 05:45:19 pm
I don't have an answer but am interested in the same thing. I'd like to get a used Bullet and turn it into a continental-style racer. I'm pretty clear on what kinds of engine modifications I might need to do but am wondering about the gearbox. Would love to hear some responses from those with experience.

Jeff

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 12:36:28 am
Forum member 72westie is running his Bullet on the track, and he holds the National Championship  #1 plate in the class.

From what I understand, there are some specific rules about Bullets, such as it must have the 4-speed original type gearbox, and it must keep the drum brake, and use a round-slide type carburetor.
Not sure on the other specifics, but maybe 72westie will chime in on this thread.

The Bullets have gotten the National Championships many times since the year 2000, and probably the most championships since that time, of any other bike in the class.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 02:01:17 am

The Bullets have gotten the National Championships many times since the year 2000, and probably the most championships since that time, of any other bike in the class.

Makes sense to me. Unlike the other vintage bikes the Bullet is still in production  ;D.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

BRITX303

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 04:37:35 pm
yes the gearbox was a concern.i just put in the 5 speed.so ill be S.O.L.i am sure though the bullets in production now are out being as they are finally entirely different motors.well i am definatly not going back to 4speed.the new tranny is truly sweeeeet!i guess i will have to stick with my fzr400 for vintage races.damn the bullet would've been cool.im still going to set it up for sportier riding anyways.you grind the pegs in miniscule corners as it is.anybody else made their own rearsets?500 bucks for the cmw set is steeeeep!

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 08:31:10 pm
I am a fairly slow rider.I do some spirited riding,and while I am at it there is usually someone behind me wanting to pass.But I would love to "help" someone in one of these endeavors.As long as it is their bike and their hide an the line.I suppose it would be fun to go a couple of laps.Warm up the bike,say.I don't have any money to share but I could,like,go get stuff.Be the PMF guy,Polishing Muther F(**&^%r.

72westie

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 11:55:12 pm
We have been running our 2001 500 Bullet for about 5 or 6 years now. It take a lot of time and $ to make on competitive. We have ran with Ahrma the whole time, but I think I am going to give Wera a try this year. There is only 1 Ahrma race within 4 hours of me, whereas Wera has maybe 10 or so races within 4 hours of me.

We ran/run the Classic 60's class in Ahrma. Its a 4-speed only class. You can use the 5 speed gearbox, but it has to be restricted to a 4 speed. We did win the national championship back in 2008 with Ahrma. In Classic 60's, you run against Manx's and Goldstars mainly. There are some Manx's that I only see on the starting line and when they lap me.

Classic 60's is a fun class to run, but the grids suck. Sometimes its only 2 or 3, other times it more or less.
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Race Bike:
2008 Ahrma Classic 60's #1 Plate
2009 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
2010 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
http://www.bgmotorcycle.com

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 03:45:20 pm
There are several classes that i don't always understand.  I kind of doubt a UCE would be eligible, though.  
As my father used to say, "When all else fails- read the directions."
http://www.ahrma.org/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:10:47 pm by UncleErnie »
Run what ya brung

72westie

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 04:05:14 pm
The Iron Barrel is the only legal motor. That's how the bike falls under the 'Like Design' rule. Disc front brakes are not legal either.

BRITX303

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 01:16:52 am
hey 72 westie is the 535kit okay?and where do you go mid-ohio?ive been to summit point and only watched vintage classes there.i cant find exactly where the enfield falls classwise on the wera site and i have not seen any out there at the races which is what i wanted to change(just for kicks).if you are gonna go wera let us know and which tracks youll be at.maybe ill get my stuff together by then and meet up.its always fun to get similar odd bikes together on track.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 01:32:10 am

In Classic 60's, you run against Manx's and Goldstars mainly. There are some Manx's that I only see on the starting line and when they lap me.

I don't know about that. About 2 or 3 years ago I was sitting on the mound at Mid-Ohio when you were racing and you were neck and neck with a Manx for about 4 or 5 laps.
When you hit the turn at the end of the straightaway the ass end of your bike was hopping up and down and I said to a friend of mine "man, he's pushing that bike to the outer limit".  Then it came out from under ya.
You were making the Manx work for it though.

As far as the UCE goes I like to see a class for them kinda like they did for the Thruxton.
Probably take some big bucks from REM to do it though.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

72westie

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 02:08:35 am
The 535 kit is not legal for Ahrma. Its too big of a overbore from stock for their rules. not sure about Wera. If we run the Wera events, it'll be Beaverrun, Grattan, Mid-Ohio and Nelson Ledges. They are all within 3-4 hours of me. The Enfield is listed legal for Wera's 360 GP class with the 500GP as a bump up class. I will let you know about what races we end up hitting.

I remember that race, I think I went off the track right at you on the first lap in the 'Key Hole' turn. When I crashed and picked the bike up, my front tire was flat. Still not sure if it blew and made me crash or if the trip threw the stones blew it. That Manx was a damn fast Manx too.