Author Topic: Time to go hibernate.  (Read 8755 times)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 12:37:54 pm
I guess it makes sense, about the guns that is. If'n your huntin' bambi in bear country take a bear gun to the deer hunt.

What caliber do you use on bear, and what kind of bear?

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 04:27:06 pm
Bit of a fun story, Its an old on handed down ;).
 I don't hunt bear, some do. I do hunt deer,though I haven't in a few years ...Its time to start thinking about it.
You can hunt deer with any exceptable caliber.I have a friend that prefers 44 mag in a rifle. The problem with those small calipers is they are great for deer ,but very small for a bear if needed.Any pistol is too small, however better then nothing, noise might scare.
I just switched from 8mm to a 45-70. I may go back to 8mm because the 45-70 kicks like a shot gun.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 04:54:31 pm
Slow heavy bullets do better, I think, than most magnums. That being said, I've only uses a 222 Rem with a 50 grain bullet on deer for the last 30 years. First shot always. But South Texas deer aren't very big.  8)

Seems to me an 8 mm would be too small on a bear. But what do I know about bear?  :-\

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 05:03:15 pm
  Depends on what bear and what 8MM.  For a black bear 8MM mauser is good.  Kodiak, I have a Steyr chambered in 8X56R that up to about 150 yards would work well. 

But believe I'd probably use my T/C with three mag powder pellets and a 325 grain .50 cal sabot for most dangerous game.  That'll put a hurting on them.  Or dig out the .338 Weatherby mag.  Just my choices.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 05:06:43 pm
It all depends on the bear!
 :D

If it's a normal black bear like we have around my area, a 30-30 or 44mag or anything like that will work fine.
For Alaskan bear, especially the real big brownies, I'd want all the gun I could get.
It has been shown that a .338 Magnum will do it well, but a .375 Mag or 416 mag might be even better, especially on something like a Kodiak.
I've never hunted Alaskan bear, but I know that I'd want to be sure that they didn't get to me. I've heard tales that the best way is to break the shoulder with the first shot, so they can't charge you easily, and then finish them off after that. Preferably from as much distance as you can shoot from.

45-70 has been getting it done for a long time, and that's a good close-quarters brush gun. I'd prefer to have a little more distance between me and the bear!

This guy had some brass balls to do this.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:12:11 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 06:04:09 pm
I'm not a bear expert, nor are the animals cute and cuddly to me. They are large meat eating creators, and should be revered as such. I avoid them all I can, I don't want to see one on a trail, or a stream, or while camping. I don't hunt them. I don't want one with green eggs and ham.
All that being said, if you are really sweating your personal saftey, I would suggest a 12 gauge. Slugs or 00 buck shoot ,your preference.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 06:06:26 pm by REpozer »

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 08:52:23 pm
It was really just a curiosity. I have no inclination to hunt or kill a bear. I've killed enough in my day and it's just too messy to render anything out anymore. Heck I don't even have any of my hunting or my beloved target rifles. Just got tired of it after 50 years of competitive shooting, and then the eyes, oh well. Just curious, still have my 12 and 20 gauges. I figured that would do one, Poser.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 09:12:41 pm
It all depends on the bear!
 :D

If it's a normal black bear like we have around my area, a 30-30 or 44mag or anything like that will work fine.
For Alaskan bear, especially the real big brownies, I'd want all the gun I could get.
It has been shown that a .338 Magnum will do it well, but a .375 Mag or 416 mag might be even better, especially on something like a Kodiak.
I've never hunted Alaskan bear, but I know that I'd want to be sure that they didn't get to me. I've heard tales that the best way is to break the shoulder with the first shot, so they can't charge you easily, and then finish them off after that. Preferably from as much distance as you can shoot from.

45-70 has been getting it done for a long time, and that's a good close-quarters brush gun. I'd prefer to have a little more distance between me and the bear!

This guy had some brass balls to do this.

I hope this guy had a buddy with a large caliber rifle standing next to him. He propably didn't. You have to get  in close to pull that off, and obviously you hope to do it with one arrow, and if you miss just a little; hope the bear doesn't figure out your  location. NO thanks.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 11:54:44 pm
Me Too, Poser!!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 12:16:51 am
It was really just a curiosity. I have no inclination to hunt or kill a bear. I've killed enough in my day and it's just too messy to render anything out anymore. Heck I don't even have any of my hunting or my beloved target rifles. Just got tired of it after 50 years of competitive shooting, and then the eyes, oh well. Just curious, still have my 12 and 20 gauges. I figured that would do one, Poser.
Any large caliber rifle will do. Some use 300 WM, 308, 30-06. The cal. ACE describes is for a more serious hunter. The point is to have enough horsepower to stop a bear if your out hunting a deer and get surprised. Most of the time the situation can be avoided.I have been able to avoid confrontation. But you never know, bears do go in the woods.