Author Topic: Down-shifting problems @ 675 miles...  (Read 4371 times)

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 10:35:13 pm
OK...I took everything apart,couldn't find anything loose,broken,or missing...re-assembled it,lubed it,and everything works fine...except for the fact that I no longer have first gear...it up-shifts and downshifts fine,but I have to use my neutral finder to find first-OR-start out in second-OR-when it DOES go to first,the neutral light stays on,then it slips to neutral...what have I mis-adjusted? ??? Any Ideas out there,folks?
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 12:21:54 am
I just got my 95 w 4sp lh shift with only 1300 miles on it..  Compared to my 5spd the shifting is absolutely horrible.   I now have it to just over 1500 miles and the shifting has loosened up, I can even find neutral every so often.   On my bike I do notice their is very little movement of the lever between 1st and Neutral.

One thing I would try is to loosen the stop for the neutral finder an see if you can fully engage 1st using neutral finder.  If so I would think you issue is with the lh shift linkage not having enough range of motion to properly engage it.   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 01:04:16 am
Thanks,Gary...I'll back up and punt... :-X...WTF...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 01:29:14 am
Well, just sayin if its the linkage going to the shifter at least its not internal to the actual gear set/  shift fork. My understanding of the neutral finder is if your Neutral finder stop is set corrctly you should not be able to engage 1st at all with it..    The stop is probably set wrong allowing you to engage 1st only partially.  I bet your problem is with your linkage bodge to the foot shifter, it probably needs adjustment.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 03:22:09 pm
First off I'd adjust the neutral finder to work correctly...

http://www.cybersteering.com/cruise/feature/bullet/adj_neutralfinder.html

does this get you closer??   I'm guessing that your ratchet mech needs adjusted. Did you scrbe marks to get it in the zack same place on reassembly? Neutral is tween 1st and second gear. Also; is it possible that your shift lever needs to be rotated on the shaft to give you more travel? Can you hit 1st by pulling the shifter up with your hand?
(your a rht shifter aren't you)
            - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 12:15:42 am
Thanks,Mike...I'm waiting for a rainy day to work on this again;I can ride it as-is for now...the weather has just been too nice to park it...I think that if I adjust the shift lever up a little bit,it'll give me the range that I need...for now,I'm able to get to first by pressing down on the shifter and holding it down as I release the clutch,but my neutral finder green light stays on,even when I'm in first...it's a left-foot shift model,but I did learn how to ride on RH shift Brit bikes (1966 BSA ,1973 Triumph)...and my goofy ass 1973 350 HD Sprint single...but it was LH shift,so I guess I go both ways... ;)...I'll keep everyone posted...

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 03:30:03 am
If you sit on the bike without engine running and rock back and forth trying gear changes and its ok then it is your clutch.

Motorcycle clutches are not meant to fully clear as does a car. This is because a car selector hub has teeth and the motorcycle has dogs. A dog is 90 degrees of the gear so selecting would be a one in 4 chance ( not acceptable ) so the gears have to be turning --slightly.

If this "slightly' I too much and the clutch is dragging too much then gear selection is difficult until the bike is moving.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 04:52:15 am
Thanks,clamp...I'll try that,too...I've got her up to about 740 miles on the clock now,and EVERYTHING seems to need a little tweaking...

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 06:35:16 am
ok....   it's late; I don't work Friday so I'm enjoying a few adult beverages...
I''ve re-read the thread and I'm thinking...  it's the  F'n clutch!!  the odds are against a broken
spring with that few of miles. Sounds like the N finder and maybe the shift lever  does need adjusting so go ahead and do that but...  have you done the clutch adjustment on the right hand side?
yea; that's where I'd go...   the text below is from my files and it is DEAD ON.
                  - Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have found the clutch adjustment very very fine... A difference of 1/8 of a turn on the adjustment nut makes the difference between slip and drag. Make sure that you cable is not kinked, well lubricated, and runs as straight as you can possible achieve. Do not over fill the primary case with oil; just enough oil to cover the bottom run of the chain on the clutch chain wheel. Do not use engine oil! Loosen off the cable adjuster, adjust the push rod clearance so that it just touches the rod, back it of 1/8 of a turn and carefully tighten the lock nut. Then take up the slack in the cable.
 Assuming that your plates are still serviceable,
 if it still slips, back the adjuster off another 1/8 of a turn. If it drags when hot, increase by 1/8 of a turn.
Tim N.Z.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 06:39:06 am by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 12:32:08 am
Thanks,Mike...I'll do that Sunday...after I put up Xmas lights and the flippin' tree...my Birthday is Tuesday the 22nd (46),so I'm not exactly in the Christmas spirit...BAH-HUMBUG,I say...but bless each and every one of you who've been reading and responding to this thread...you Enfield nuts are the best Birthday and Christmas presents a guy could wish for...I'll keep ya posted...