Author Topic: Which Windshield?  (Read 10954 times)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
on: December 08, 2009, 04:54:50 pm
Hi All,
 Looking to fit a windshield/screen on my G5 (DL) in 2010. This is because I find it difficult to hold on at speeds. (must be getting weak in the arms).
So without spoiling the look of the G5, any suggestions on what screen I ought to be looking at? Should it be large, medium or small. Don't really fancy a large screen, but favour a medium or small screen. I want to retain or increase the "sportiness" of the bike, but also decrease the wind drag, so I guess I may have to optimise, on looks and effect.
Any suggestions?
Regards

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 04:07:49 am
Hello Marrtyn:

I have a G5 and before I had a windshield I felt exactly the way you do.  The wind was too much for me.  I have put on a Memphis Shades Classic Deuce 7 windshield.  It is mid size - neither too big nor too small in my opinion.  I am so much happier because the bike runs so much smoother without the wind hitting me in the chest and face.  In addition, it has reduced the vibrations on the handle bar - this is because the windshield vibrates a tiny bit and cancels out the movement of the handlebar. The third advantage is that my pick up is better because it is slightly slanted backwards.  There is one slight problem that the wind hits my face a bit more than before.  I am now using 3/4 helmet all the time to cover my face and in the summer it is not a big problem.

I think the size is 19 &1/2 x 18 &1/2 inches.

Here are the pictures.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:12:12 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 09:59:24 am
Thanks for that info SinghG5, must say I like the look of your Memphis Shades. The quality of manufacture looks superb, un-like the one's I have so far seen, on this side of the pond. Do like the way the mounts have been CNC machined, as opposed to pressings.
However I dont think they are available in the UK, as yet!
Regards

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 05:01:33 pm
Thanks for that info SinghG5, must say I like the look of your Memphis Shades. The quality of manufacture looks superb, un-like the one's I have so far seen, on this side of the pond. Do like the way the mounts have been CNC machined, as opposed to pressings.
However I dont think they are available in the UK, as yet!
Regards

Morning Marrtyn:

As you have noticed the shades are superb and high quality.  You can buy them directly from Chaparral Motorsports, one of the biggest motorcycle parts distributor in California, USA.  I have bought parts from them and they have great catalog.  They ship internationally and you will get in a few days.  Here is a link to their website.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/assets/html/homepage.asp?URLCheck=1

Regards.
singhg5

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 06:27:44 pm
Br. Marrtyn,
 Please do experiment with variations in your wind screens installed fore/aft position and angle of aft tilt at the top. I favor a screen and installation that puts the top of the windscreen a few inches below my line of sight and deflects the wind to the top or just above the helmet at speeds greater than around town.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:15:40 pm
I have the "style 3" windshield from CMW on my G5. It takes the wind off the chest but not the face, although I am 6'1"

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 05:53:39 am
A company called STUDS
Used to make a killer canopy for the Bullet.
I should have one lying around and am planing on installing it on the bike.
It has a bubble so its actually good for another +5 Kmph at any given throttle position on the open road.
What I see in the pictures are really not doing you any favors in the Aero Dept.
They slow down a 747 with air brakes smaller than that.

Just a thought. A bubble shaped canopy can protect you and still be functional.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:40:24 am by chinoy »

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 04:58:42 pm
Given that I'm 300 miles into a "500-miles-in-3-days" odyssey, you probably won't be surprised to learn that I've decided to install a windshield on my 2010 C5.

More about my odyssey here:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16153

My problem at highway speeds is that because I'm a large person in a XXL full-face helmet, the wind buffets my head something awful, and it strains my neck muscles to the point that I'm afraid I might hurt myself. (I'm not afraid I'll break my neck or anything, but I don't want to pull a muscle.)

I'm trolling the various threads here looking at windshield advice (of which there is plenty, thank you all). Any additional advice/guidance is welcome if anyone has any.

Love this one: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008-RoyalEnfield-BulletMachismod.jpg

Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 05:43:23 pm
+1 to anything Memphis Shades.  Their stuff is top quality.  The windshields from NField Gear are Memphis Shades items.  Make sure you can mount what you get on the bike.  We don't have access to the upper fork tubes because of the nacelle on the bike.

Scott

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 06:53:54 pm
Thanks Scotty, I think that really asnwered my question on which windshield to get in terms of mounting. I got the impression it was handlebar mounts or nothing.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 07:02:51 pm
I had a flyscreen from Hitchcocks, and I loved it. It took all the wind blast off my torso, so relieved me basically from having any air pushing me back. It doesn't take much.
 On a lot of my earlier bikes I just had a tank bag that took care of the blast in much the same way. I totally dislike the regular windshields.
When my Cafe Racer gets here, it will be getting the flyscreen immediately.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 07:12:32 pm
Thanks Scotty, I think that really asnwered my question on which windshield to get in terms of mounting. I got the impression it was handlebar mounts or nothing.

Pretty much. MS has a lot that fall in that category though.  There are some that grab the forks too, they wouldn't work.  On the Memphis shades, their mounting hardware is good quality and almost every angle is configurable so you should be able to put it where you want it.  I've had some cheap screens where the adjustability was limited and they just didn't fit certain bikes.

Scott

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 07:13:15 pm
I'm not really helping in regards to answering the question but I really like the old enfield airflow fairing. Reproducing one is probably within my means but, alas, not my time!

Short of full fairings, which don't work well for me because my height puts me in the head buffeting zone of any windshield, I find that lower bars let you lean into the wind which is quite relaxing. The wind holds you up and takes weight off your wrists too.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 07:40:57 pm
Hitchcocks has those or similar fairings, but not cheap and I don't know what shipping would be to Cantafordia.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 01:45:57 pm
nField Gear's (Memphis Shades) largest screen fits well on my B5, and takes all the heat-sapping air from my torso, but my installation left my head in the slipstream - not uncomfortable, but NOISY!  I have plans to change the angle, however, to try to alleviate that problem.

I rode without any screen before it got cold last year, and I prefer that the most - the wind is one of the reasons I'm riding!  The screen is only against the cold to extend my riding season...